Mouse Pads

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Ok. My RatpadZ is worn out. I've had it maybe six months and the center area is just badly worn. It glides about as well as my old cloth mouse pad. I've done some research on the subject. I am a gamer. I will not use this thing for hardly anything else.

I've head of the Func mousepads and a few others. But I am still undecided. I'd rather here about your experiences anyway than go on what various sites have to say about them. How well do they hold up? What kind of feeling is it? Does the mouse glide or do you prefer a mouse pad with more friction?.

So what mouse pad do you prefer? Why? Where do I get one and about how much do they cost?

I loved my Ratpadz until it wore out. I am not going to spend that much on a mouse pad that doesn't last a year.

icemat revision 2. its like a sheet of black glass, it just feels right. used to have a func_pad, good surface, but the rubber would warp and when i threw it against the wall it would keep bouncing all over the room like flubber(ok that last part isn't entirely true).

tried everglide, but ehh too bumpy, didn't feel right. clothmousepad too much resistance. icemat 2 = just right, feels great in quake3 and CS:S. pricey though

I prefer the Func's surface 1030. I has a textured and smooth side to tailor to your prefrence of resistance. The only downfall with my func pad is whe the slightest grain of dirt gets in the smooth side it scratches it all to hell. You can buy some anti-friction liquid to go along with yur Func pad but I don't know how well it works. When I got my Func my accuracy increased greatly. It cost about 25 bucks and it's worth it. I've had Func pad for 8 months and it hasn't warped in the least. www.func.net

i bought a ratpadz gs shortly after it came out and have been using it extensively ever since. it wore out after about 2 months ;)

but i think it has become so worn out that it is a consistant surface again and works well; just not as well as it did when i first got it. i don't know whether to reccomend it or not :confused:

Well I really liked the Ratpadz surface. It just doesn't last. Mine is worn out in the center area. Still glides nice on the edges, but I hit more resistance in the center.

Sucks bad. I'll look at the Func and the Icemat.

Well I have one of the original Ratpadz and it's still like new. I'm not sure what they did to the new pad they made but the old one still rules. Anyhow I just ordered a Func pad w/ the liquid last night since I'm letting my gf use my old ratpad. I refuse to buy a new ratpad because of all the complaints. So I'll let you know what I think of the func 1030....

I just don't get using the mouse pad thing. It really bugs me while I am playing a game. The edge of the pad rubbing on my wrist distracts me. But some of my friends swear by them. I guess I am just weird.

edit: Damn natural keyboard can't type with it.

One more for Icemat.
I've been using this pad for a long time and I can say it's really cool!
Icemat IMHO is one of the best gaming pads - big size, cool look (8 different colurs!) and perfect gliding, what more do you need from a pad? Ah... it's a solid piece of glass so it wount wear out in few month!
www.icemat.com

So what would be the difference if I just cut a piece of glass and used it in the Icemat's place?

Is the Icemat like that? Where it's that hard?

i have been using everglide for the past 4 years
great feeling and great grip
really like it
after so many years and as a hard-core gamer unfortunately in the middle it has worn out a bit
but still within acceptable limits

www.everglide.co.uk

i use and love the steelpad 4s. it's a bit pricy like the icemat. however, i was trying to decide between teh 2. the icemat has more vertical space and less horizontal space than the steelpad. When i game i use more of the left to right movement so i chose the steelpad. also, the steelpad is.. uhh made of steel, so the damn thing isnt going to break or bend or warp like the icemat/ratpadz. people complain about the "horrible noise that the steelpad and the mouse make" but honestly, i'm always listening to music or playing a game so the noise is drowned out. I use both speakers and headphones. the teflon glide pades however are the little strips of joy joy goodness that must be used with either the icemat or steelpad... it makes it so much more enjoyable.. i prefer the steelpad 4s

Sir-Fragalot said:
So what would be the difference if I just cut a piece of glass and used it in the Icemat's place?

Is the Icemat like that? Where it's that hard?

It's not just a piece of glass, it's some special hard glass. I saw videos where people threw Icemat from a table, and the pad was okay!

The icemat is a piece of sandblasted glass with a matte black backing to reflect optical queries. If you cut your own, it wouldnt have a backing, or be matt and very smooth on a microscopic level so it would be REALLY high friction. Sandblasted basically means its really rough on a small scale but helps mice move smoothly by reducing the contact area of the mouse feet. Its just glass, so if you drop it oddly it will shatter, but you shouldnt be dropping your mousepad anyway :)

I use the Icemat 2 and its a very nice pad. The main three that will be suggest are the Func 1030, DKT and Icemat. The 1030 is very good, closest to the GS surface of the three. It would probably be your best bet if you dont want a big change, plus its only like 2mm thick.

The icemat is the best gliding surface there is. It never wears out which is a plus, like never ever ever......ever ever .........ever etc etc. Problem is you have to clean it alot :(

The DKT is good if you like higher friction. Its a gigantic clothpad which is smoother and more refined than a standard cloth pad.

Getting any of the three is a good idea but for you i'd go with func1030 or icemat. The DKT is alot different from what your used to. All three are pretty much the same when it comes to accuracy so its down to your own preference.

I'm loving my fUnc Surface 1030.. (black). I've had it a solid 8 months, no signs of wear at all... :D

func for me all the way. I use the ratpadz as a drink coaster. Works great for that.

As I said the Ratpadz is a great surface. Great mousepad. I just hate how it wears out so easily. 4 months or so isn't very good for $20 of mousepad.

I love my chincey "The Hulk" Marvel mousepad I bought at WalMart for 10 bux. Glides very smooth. I think you guys spend too much money on mouse surfaces. You could have bought games or mods. IMO it is dumb to buy high end mouse surfaces. I get just as many frags as any of you with your 50 dollar mousepad. If you want to blow your money be my guest. I still bet my mouse glides just as smooth as almost any of you.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Ok. My RatpadZ is worn out. I've had it maybe six months and the center area is just badly worn. It glides about as well as my old cloth mouse pad. I've done some research on the subject. I am a gamer. I will not use this thing for hardly anything else.

I've head of the Func mousepads and a few others. But I am still undecided. I'd rather here about your experiences anyway than go on what various sites have to say about them. How well do they hold up? What kind of feeling is it? Does the mouse glide or do you prefer a mouse pad with more friction?.

So what mouse pad do you prefer? Why? Where do I get one and about how much do they cost?

I loved my Ratpadz until it wore out. I am not going to spend that much on a mouse pad that doesn't last a year.

Is there a point to even use a mousepad if you have an optical mouse? I've had better luck w/no mouse pad. But that's me.

>WP< $lipKnot said:
I love my chincey "The Hulk" Marvel mousepad I bought at WalMart for 10 bux. Glides very smooth. I think you guys spend too much money on mouse surfaces. You could have bought games or mods. IMO it is dumb to buy high end mouse surfaces. I get just as many frags as any of you with your 50 dollar mousepad. If you want to blow your money be my guest. I still bet my mouse glides just as smooth as almost any of you.

Obviously you've never used a fUnc surface 1030 then. Have fun in the dark ages ... Last I checked people stopped using 286s also... but then again why upgrade right ?

theNoid said:
Obviously you've never used a fUnc surface 1030 then. Have fun in the dark ages ... Last I checked people stopped using 286s also... but then again why upgrade right ?

Yeah whatever. I bet if you play HalfLife2 Deathmatch or America's Army Special Forces. I would be higher in kills if not completely pwning you. Im 1337 look for me if you want to get fragged. Old school videogame master here. recognize. No mousepad truley matters it isnt the machine or the mousepad it is the user.

that just isn't a smart thing to say, slipknot. for one, if you haven't tried a pad like the icemat, you have no credibility saying it won't help. if you do have uber skills, a good mousepad, can make you just a little better. i play quake3 and CS:S, and switching from func pad and my DKT pad, i can notice my aim is quicker, and i can pull things off that i had a hard time doing before. mousepads aren't a huge difference, but they can make a difference. just like overclocking a video card.

doh-nut said:
that just isn't a smart thing to say, slipknot. for one, if you haven't tried a pad like the icemat, you have no credibility saying it won't help. if you do have uber skills, a good mousepad, can make you just a little better. i play quake3 and CS:S, and switching from func pad and my DKT pad, i can notice my aim is quicker, and i can pull things off that i had a hard time doing before. mousepads aren't a huge difference, but they can make a difference. just like overclocking a video card.

How do you know what I have used? As a matter of fact I used a buddy of mines at a lan party once and his was one that was in maximum pc it is like the 1337 mousing surface. It is like aluminum with a kevlar coating and to be honest I didnt like it.

If mouse pads don't make a difference why do you use one at all? Clearly there is some advantage to using a mouse pad over not using one. Just like there is an advantage to using one with a better surface.

Anyways, from my experience I just use a decent quality cloth pad. Allsop or X-trac are good. They seem to last longer than most of the plastic surfaces out there.

doh-nut said:

Can you give me a mini review of the three? Icemat, fUnc, and DKT compared to each other. Thanks!

Get the icemat. Sure its alot of $$ but you won't have to worry about it wearing out anytime soon. I'm a cheapskate but ponied up for the icemat and a mx510 mouse. It's the best combo you can get.

IceMat for sure i have one and love it, and as everyone said it will never wear out :D

jamezzz122 said:
Can you give me a mini review of the three? Icemat, fUnc, and DKT compared to each other. Thanks!

func pad - it was smooth, 2 sides, one is rouger than the other, i prefered the smooth one though. my 2 gripes were it was too small for my low sensitivity and the other was the rubber pad warped over time, and it was impossible to fit the pad into the rubber holder after a while. a little noise, but not too bad

DKT - basically a huge cloth mousepad. it was nice for my low sensitivity, i liked it better than the func, because it stayed put and was big, not known for gliding obviously because its cloth. no noise which is nice

icemat 2nd edition - size is perfect, not too small or big. stays put like a rock partly because its so heavy, the way mice glide on it just feels right(tried mx300 and mx510, both very nice), its like ice i guess, im using teflon feet too, everything just feels more precise from windows navigating, map editing to gaming. only low would be the noise, can't really describe it, its just the sound of something sliding across frosted glass. but after getting used to it, its no longer a low for me

doh-nut said:
func pad - it was smooth, 2 sides, one is rouger than the other, i prefered the smooth one though. my 2 gripes were it was too small for my low sensitivity and the other was the rubber pad warped over time, and it was impossible to fit the pad into the rubber holder after a while. a little noise, but not too bad

DKT - basically a huge cloth mousepad. it was nice for my low sensitivity, i liked it better than the func, because it stayed put and was big, not known for gliding obviously because its cloth. no noise which is nice

icemat 2nd edition - size is perfect, not too small or big. stays put like a rock partly because its so heavy, the way mice glide on it just feels right(tried mx300 and mx510, both very nice), its like ice i guess, im using teflon feet too, everything just feels more precise from windows navigating, map editing to gaming. only low would be the noise, can't really describe it, its just the sound of something sliding across frosted glass. but after getting used to it, its no longer a low for me

Thanks for the review. I guess with the Icemat, you get what you pay for. I wonder how it compares to the Steelpads though.

theNoid said:
I'm loving my fUnc Surface 1030.. (black). I've had it a solid 8 months, no signs of wear at all... :D

same here

first real pad I bought and no complaints

are you using the rough or smooth side?

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Is there a point to even use a mousepad if you have an optical mouse? I've had better luck w/no mouse pad. But that's me.

Tracking is a small part of it. It is also about the slickness.

ive been using the same mousepad that came with one of my first computer, about 7-10 years ago.... i think it was a IBM... but yeah, i dont see a need to change mouse pads

I would discourage users from buying an Everglide product...I originally bought their Half-Life "Game of the Year" pad several years ago and it deteriorated very quickly. I'm now using their Giganta Optical (clear) pad, and, well, I'm browsing these forums to find a replacement ;) The center definitly wears down easily. You can hold it up to a light and see a reflection in the center where it's worn down, whereas the edges are still somewhat rough.

So, it looks like I'll be getting an Icemat. Do you guys recommend the little teflon feet or tape? I use a Logitech MX-700 (may get an MX-1000 for Christmas :p) and find that if you simply wipe off the five contact points every day or so there's really no gunk build-up or whatever.

Also, how does it compare with the SteelPad?

Thanks and [H]appy [H]olidays!

Back