Mouse feels... inaccurate

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm having a bit of a pickle with this setup, and its really bringing my enjoyment of playing games down.

This is the machine:
- 1800X on Gigabyte Gaming K7
- 16GB 3200mhz
- 960 Evo
- Vega 56
- Win 10 Pro
- 144hz 1440p monitor

My issue is that the mouse just feels very inaccurate, I've been futzing with all of my various mice and the settings for days and I can't get rid of this weird lag/accel thing its got going on. Even outside of games trying to hit buttons in my browser sometimes results in clicking in the wrong area because the mouse doesn't end up where I expect it. In games my aim is so bad I can barely play any kind of shooter, I can't get the sight on target and I definitely can't keep it there, which is somewhat of a novel experience.

Also, the center portion of the screen feels fine, but anything in the outer 1/4 all the way around is drastically worse. Enhanced pointer precision does nothing to this (it actually feels somewhat better with it on).

Mousepad(s) are a Corsair MM200 and a Steelseries something or other, both new. I'm not picky about texture and I had no issue on any of the other dozen machines I've used in the last year.

Mice I've tried:

G602 wireless
G303
G Pro
Steelseries Rival
MS Intellimouse (2017 edition)
Roccat Kone Pure

All of them act the same. I checked the DPC latency and my system is actually extremely low, so I don't think there is a problem there.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try? I'm not some kind of mouse buff that gets all crazy about sensors and weights and whatnot, I just want it to work and this is driving me nuts. Also of note, the problem is heavily magnified at 1440p compared to 1080p. I just did a fresh install of Windows just in case something was screwed up.

Have you tried re-installing your system from scratch? Updating the drivers on your motherboard? Installing the control software that comes with the mouse?

You could go through the checklist on this guide I made. https://www.eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html

Yeah, I've been through just about all of those things. This is something else entirely and I can't pinpoint what exactly is going on. Its almost like the USB connection is dropping out, for example I can't really drag and drop something all the way across the screen because the mouse will "let go" in the middle of it. Or sometimes in a game if I'm trying to do a 360 look the mouse just stops moving even though I'm still dragging it.

I had this same hardware on an ASRock board earlier this week and didn't have this issue either. Maybe I should turn legacy USB off?

Have you tried re-installing your system from scratch? Updating the drivers on your motherboard? Installing the control software that comes with the mouse?

Yes I did, twice in fact. Everything is fresh as of yesterday. I've tried a few of the software packages but they don't seem to have any effect.

turn legacy usb off see if that helps and make sure to use one of the top most usb ports, usually labeled for kb/m.

turn legacy usb off see if that helps and make sure to use one of the top most usb ports, usually labeled for kb/m.

Yeah, this board only has 3.0/3.1 and "USB DAC" ports, but it does have some USB 2.0 on the front panel, maybe those would be worth a try? I'll give this a go tomorrow.

You could try playing with a controller to see if the issue is mouse only.

I actually did order an xbox controller the other day, I'll give this a shot too.

Well I've tried everything I can possibly think of and its still happening, I have no idea what to do now.

Cat hair in the sensor. Happens to me all the time. All 7 mice you have tried.

Fxxking cats.

maybe it is some kind of scaling issue? I know nvidia has some settings for it in the control panel which affect mouse behaviour, but not sure about AMD. Did you try and older 1080p monitor with the setup?

I think the problem was my motherboard, I have recently switched to an Asus mini ITX board with all the same hardware and the problem disappeared. There must have been something going on with the USB ports.

Back