mouse: does your palm make contact with your desk?

indokyne

2[H]4U
Just curious as I'm trying out different settings with my mouse...

do you guys have the butt of your palm resting on the desk
while your fingers move the mouse to and fro? (A)

or do you have your whole hand / palm floating on top of the mouse
with your forearm on the desk? (B)

I've been giving both methods a go and I find that using 'A' works for me using a higher sensitivity
and 'B', which requires more actual movement, is good with a lower sensitivity.

anyone tried both and have some feedback?
I could use some pointers. My stats are hurtin bad on these deathmatches lol.

I prefer Method A when gaming, less hand fatigue during extended sessions. I'm still using my trusty MX1000 with a Razer Destructor mouse pad, so it glides well without the need of mouse skates.

Option A gives more control I think. What game(s) are you playing that require better accuracy?

Usually do the (A) method.

Option (B) sounds a bit more tiring to do constantly.

I just use A, as well as a low sensitivity, I tend to enjoy bullet-based games most so fine control is more important. I like a heavy mouse with a rough mousepad. I don't like my mouse trying to glide past the point where I'm trying to shoot from. I listen and pay attention to identify where the enemy will appear and point there, then when he shows up I just make a slight compensation to get the headshot. Slow and methodical is the way I prefer to shoot.

In a chaotic deathmatch game with lots of fast up and down movement you'll be whipping around more and would need a slightly higher sensitivity, but really, just be comfortable with one setting. Try a test run and shoot a few targets, then look back and think about whether the mouse moved too fast or too slow. Adjust until you find the right feel and then stick with it. Thinking too much about the connection between your hand, to the mouse, to the crosshair, to the target will screw up focus and aim. You'd want to just see the target and hit it, and think as little about it as possible so your mind can keep paying attention to everything else going on around you.

Last edited:
I play 99% first person shooters. I think the hardest thing that I'm trying to get used to is that my Windows desktop sensitivity and my gaming sensitivity are different. I've been trying to make use of the sensitivity buttons on my MX518. Previously, I was using them for other keystroke shortcuts.

I'm basically trying to cut down on my frantic mousing when trying to quickly aim in other directions. I'm getting mamed so bad. The only fun part of my multiplayer sessions so far has been watching the replay of the dude killing me.

I used to just snipe when I played Delta Force (using method A). Now i'm trying the whole rambo TDMatch frag-session and it' not easy since the mouse movements are so different. I do ok in campaign mode but it's campaign mode.

mousegriphu7.jpg

Mines somewhere between the palm and claw grip, my wrist rests on a soft pad and I use the movement of the wrist and fingers to move the mouse, having a very high sensitivity means very no movement of the arm and little movement of the wrist, most done with fingertips.

Hopefully it should keep away RSI with more minor movements and more fingertop control

rofl at the grip picture. I use the claw grip, although i've never called it that before. My mouse and keyboard are pretty far up onto the desk and I sit right up next to it, so my forearms are on the desk (including my right elbow for the mouse).

I use the palm on desk (option A).

Only way I can steady the mouse for shock combos.

Mines somewhere between the palm and claw grip

Am I the only one who thinks those two pictures are just different points in a movement stroke? If my mouse is at its farthest point from me on my desk, my hand is "flat" on it like the palm method. If my mouse is at its closest point to me on my desk, my hand is shaped just like the claw method.

Isn't that the point? That you're using the tactile capabilities of your hand, not your arm, to move the mouse(with the claw method)? I can't imagine leaving my hand flat on the mouse and literally moving my whole arm around. I've *never* seen someone do that, and I bet it's hilarious.

Some people call the claw variant with your wrist/palm not resting on anything the jedi grip, which is what I use. Basically I use my fingertips to hold the mouse and control the mouse with my fingerstips+wrist with no palm/wrist rests.

I don't particularly recommend it as most people's chair/desk/monitor setup isn't conducive to it (to be comfortable, both your monitor and chair have to be significantly higher than what most people have it at), but it is technically the most ergonomic.

I really hate the claw grip in the picture. That's probably the best way to get yourself carpel tunnel as fast as possible.

Palm grip for me. When you play MMO's, even casually, you need to find a comfortable settings.

fingers in claw grip and palm of hand on mousepad

doing the palm grip feels really weird to me

Claw Grip for me. - btw, the person in the picture obviously doesn't actually use this method, as it shouldn't be anywhere near that awkward or strained.

I have big hands, so it is very natural for me to rest my palm on the desk and move the mouse with just fingertips. I can't stand trying to rest my palm on the mouse itself 'cuase then I have to move my whole arm to move the mouse - just plain clumsy.

I've grown to prefer smaller mice because it gives the best range of motion and doesn't cause the "palm rest" of the mouse to run into my hand on the desk when I move the mouse down. The G9 is the best for this I've seen so far, but I'm starting to think it might be nice to try like a really wide lap-top mouse, as those are generally even shorter.

Not putting your palm on your desk would seem to make you very inaccurate in FPS games. I can not see how you would be able to aim quickly and precisely enough to be a proficient player.

A. with palm grip. MX518 + Xtrac Logic Hex

I find that when I play RTCW: ET, I have trouble hitting the more agile players, especially if they circle; the bottom of my palm just drags and slows me down. I think seating position has a lot to do with it too, I don't have an armrest and my chair sits fairly low, so the rest of my arm is lower than my wrist.

A - Palm is always on desk/mousepad. I try to use comfortable mousepads (like MouseRugs) because of that. I also have to use ergonomic mice like the Intellimouse line or my wrist and hand start to hurt after only half an hour.

A. with palm grip. MX518 + Xtrac Logic Hex

I find that when I play RTCW: ET, I have trouble hitting the more agile players, especially if they circle; the bottom of my palm just drags and slows me down. I think seating position has a lot to do with it too, I don't have an armrest and my chair sits fairly low, so the rest of my arm is lower than my wrist.

yea. I definitely have to look at my ergonomics as well. I think my desk is too high and not deep enough so I'm gonna swap it out for a deeper one with shorter legs perhaps. maybe get the adjustable ones (it's a standard ikea tabletop)

but I believe there's more to
my problem than just mouse grip.

No, I use full claw grip in games.

Only my fingers touch the mouse and the rest of the hand stays of the desk. My elbow planted on the right side of my office chair provides support. Best setup I've tried so far.

my problem with my grip is I can't reach the front mouse button (on the side of the mouse)

Claw grip (finger-mousing) FTW. Of course that means I can't use those ridiculously heavy/fat mice that are always being released now. There's a reason I haven't used another mouse but the MS Wheel Mouse optical.

Light weight. Cheap. And most importantly - wired.

As for the desk height comment, I lowered my Galant to be at elbow level or lower. If you are tall, it'll be higher. If you are short (haha like me), it will be lower. Important thing is that you arm should never get tired this way, and your elbow is always relaxed and in-line with your KB height. I can not emphasize more the importance of having the KB/mouse in the same plane.

Last edited:
Claw grip (finger-mousing)
As for the desk height comment, I lowered my Galant to be at elbow level or lower. If you are tall, it'll be higher. If you are short (haha like me), it will be lower. Important thing is that you arm should never get tired this way, and your elbow is always relaxed and in-line with your KB height. I can not emphasize more the importance of having the KB/mouse in the same plane.

Glad you mentioned the bit about the KB, I have mine in a tray away from the mouse and it's always irked me why it's set up this way. Until I get a better desk, I'll just have to continue with poor multiplayer performance. :D

I use the claw style grip. I find palming the mouse uncomfortable.

I prefer to palm the mouse but my desk at home is such that I have to have my arm raised a bit to get at it, thus clawing is much more comfortable.

A new desk is in order though!

As to the OP: yes, my palm does touch the pad and it gets rather annoying

I do (B) or palm grip.

Because the mouse I use (Death Adder) is made for the palm grip, its the best feel for me. Nothing is "floating" and I don't use a wrist rest. In fact, my hand/arm never get fatigued, and they are usually always aligned straight while gaming.

I think it has a lot to do with the size of the mouse and your hand size.
I use old microsoft optical III or logitech 700 mice to get the biggest mouse I can and then I still use both A and B. IF I am sniping fingers work best, if its run and gun I tend to grab the mouse.
I don't think about it or plan on one or the other it just seems to be the way I do it.

NOW if I could just operate those side mouse buttons with either grip....7 buttons and I use 2 and the wheel sometimes to switch weapons.
With a nostromo I keyed that too, so 2 buttons...I can't find the other ones and when I do I can't use them.

I use the claw grip.You know that bony knob on your wrist, well I have very little body fat so skinny guys know what I talking about, on my right hand were my wrist wrest I have a swollen callose. I found out I actually drive my wrist into my desk when I play for a long time.

Back