Mouse cursor sticks or jitters in place

hedron

Limp Gawd
I don't know how to describe this properly, but here goes anyway. Every now and again the mouse cursor sticks or jitters in place. Like, I would move the mouse, but the cursor would stick in the same place, but jerk around within a 20 some odd pixel circle. It's sort of reminiscent of the old mouse ball days when you got too much gunk on the fly wheels and had take out the ball and scratch off the gunk and then you were good to go. But there's no gunk on my laser sensor.

I have the original Razer Naga, so it's a bit old but it still works fine other than the above issue and that annoying right click issue.

Is this a permanent problem? Or does someone know a fix? Thanks.

Razer stuff can sometimes suffer durability issues, right? or is that a thing of the past?

A stuttering like you describe is actually a _common_ sign of hard drive troubles.

Can you enter the event viewer, the 'system' section and check for "DISK" category entries? Or try another mouse?

Its also a common issue with laser mice. What surface are you using? The sensor could be having trouble tracking on it.

I have an old Logitech laser mouse (G700) that does the same sort of thing if I use it on a smooth plastic mouse pad. So try a different surface too and see if that helps.

Funny, yesterday I had 2 logitech M500's I noticed were acting up when upgrading a few dozen systems to windows 10. Tested them on my laptop and showed the same issues, I binned them and gave them new M500's. Best mice ever, these are the first failing after years of usage (I think we have more than 50 of them used 8hours/day from the year they were announced).

yep, check the sensor for stuck pubic hair. not saying how it might get up there, but it happens

Funny, yesterday I had 2 logitech M500's I noticed were acting up when upgrading a few dozen systems to windows 10. Tested them on my laptop and showed the same issues, I binned them and gave them new M500's. Best mice ever, these are the first failing after years of usage (I think we have more than 50 of them used 8hours/day from the year they were announced).

I had the same issues with a G9x that I used for a number of years. I gave it some time off, about a year, before I got sick and tired of it's replacement (some Steelseries mouse). Strangely, it works perfectly, now. On the other hand, maybe it was related to an USB power saving issue I had for a while. I finally resolved it, to stop my USB external drives from automatically disconnecting whenever I started writing data to them.

Back