Mouse control with no desk (and not strong resemblance to a mouse)

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
I was wondering what options are out there to avoid having to have a mouse on your desk. I am interesting in adding to the list that I have come up with so far (see below). We can focus this conversation on Windows 10, although I am also interested in options on Ubuntu and Mint.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

1) Wireless Handheld USB Trackball with Laser Pointer
-basically, it's a handheld trackball (doesn't need to sit on a fixed surface)

2) Tobii eye tracker with 3rd party software and maybe some other hardware, too, like a webcam, a foot switch, and/or a microphone. It seemed like the Tobii eye tracker software couldn't quite act as a mouse, and could only move a blob around the screen on the desktop. So, the 3rd party software adapts it into something more functional (with or without aforementioned additional hardware). As an aside, I was very disappointed with Tobii eye tracker support as they seemed to not have phone or online chat support (only email). As I understand, in some cases you even have multiple 3rd party softwares, like dragon dictate, and one of the more specialized ones.

3) Game controller, such as an xbox controller or a Steam controller

Let me know if you know of any other options. Or if you know about the 3rd party softwares for the Tobii eye tracker.

So what's interesting is I saw my wife holding her logitech trackman wireless against her thigh while standing and using her notebook and I just looked at her strangely. She quickly laughed and responded that there's another person in the office that does this too. Coupling this with your suggestion would be to mount a trackball somewhere other than the surface of your desk.

The foot switches can be a real game changer if you can get used to them. Usually our feet are just sitting there doing nothing--I bet it helps get them some exercise too.

So what's interesting is I saw my wife holding her logitech trackman wireless against her thigh while standing and using her notebook and I just looked at her strangely. She quickly laughed and responded that there's another person in the office that does this too. Coupling this with your suggestion would be to mount a trackball somewhere other than the surface of your desk.

The foot switches can be a real game changer if you can get used to them. Usually our feet are just sitting there doing nothing--I bet it helps get them some exercise too.

your wife's position makes some sense to me. But, it's a little problematic because how about when she needs to use that hand on the keyboard?
I think that that, voice command, and on screen keyboard (to correct the mistakes of voice command) can be a reasonable combo.

You can also buy this mousepad and keep it in the packaging and have the mouse on your lap that way
https://www.amazon.com/Allsop-30200-Accutrack-Slimline-Graphite/dp/B003709KZG
that could be more comfortable for some people vs having the mouse on their desk.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, that's why I looked at her strangely. But in reality, anytime you're using a pointing device, that hand is away from the keyboard. Is she velcro'd it to her thigh then she wouldn't have to hold it, so that could work (but would look so odd!).

I think voice commands and on-screen keyboards work when there is a physical impairment, but for most of us they're just too slow.

That mousepad would be an interesting way to get the mouse on your lap.

Yeah, that's why I looked at her strangely. But in reality, anytime you're using a pointing device, that hand is away from the keyboard. Is she velcro'd it to her thigh then she wouldn't have to hold it, so that could work (but would look so odd!).

I think voice commands and on-screen keyboards work when there is a physical impairment, but for most of us they're just too slow.

That mousepad would be an interesting way to get the mouse on your lap.
That's right. Most of the time voice command and on screen keyboard is slow. But, if you are doing only very short bits of typing only occasionally, it might not be much worse and can also give you a change of position, so that you are varying your position more. But, it's not without hassle.

I would recommend using a normal mouse and keyboard with a corsair lapdog. This worka great for me. If you want to go trackball, I recommend logitech trackman. I used this for many years

Back