Mounting SSD in Velociraptor HLFS heatsink?

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
Would this work?

Curious to know if I bought a 2nd hand Velociraptor HLFS drive and removed the standard 2.5" drive and slipped an Intel SSD in its place.

The heatsink and connections on it don't alter the power to the drive do they? (5v for SSD or 12v for Velociraptor)?

Was going to get an older Velociraptor with the direct connections on the back and use that for my SSD but thought to maybe try this 1st so all my storage drive connections line up.

Thanks, Shawn

raptor2.jpg

Last edited:
That VR adaptor should be just fine, but you may not need it, depending what you're trying to do.
If you just want to mount an SSD in a standard desktop case, you shouldn't need anything as complicated. Something cheaper like this should work fine (there are lots of similar ones out there). SSDs are also pretty light and have no moving parts, so you can get away with mounting them in non-standard ways - zip ties and velcro seem to work fine for many people.

If you're planning on using it in any sort of backplane however (such as a Mac Pro or any hot-swap enclosure), you're going to need something more specific. The VR bracket should work, but a cheaper alternative may be this IcyDock product. The reason you need something special for backplanes is that if you just use a standard mounting adapter, the SATA interface won't line up properly.

Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you really need a bracket? I just have my ssd attached to the bottom of my case with some tape. Eventually I will use velcro.

Thanks for the info. I have a Lian Li case and a special bracket for my application but was just looking for something a little more elegant I guess. Gonna try and pick up a cheap drive on ebay to use.

The velociraptor would heat sink would work. Although its an overkill since SSDs do not need cooling.

Back