Mounting speakers above monitors

ITGuy1024

n00b
Hey all,

Posting this in the place it makes the most sense (to me), move is needed.

I have a triple monitor mount and I'd like to mount my 5 speakers right above them. My thought was to use some sort of flex arm mount that you might use for a studio microphone. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Vidpro-FA-22...ds=flex+mount&qid=1563798205&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I recall many years ago a member on here did something similar. Sadly it looks like that post is long gone.

Looking for some ideas. I don't want to put another full triple arm across the top of the monitors.

20190721_185608.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used floor standing speaker stands from amazon that are extensible over the top of the monitors. In my case I only have 2, I assume you would need three if it’s a 5.1 setup.

I wish I could find the picture I have in my head to show. Ideally I'd like them to be right over the monitors.

Any pictures of your setup?

I have mine mounted above my screens but you'd have to switch out your mounts.. and possibly your desk. Since mine were 40's.. I had to go with a floor mounted stand.. I then used keyboard trays clamped to it for the speakers. I feel you though... after going triples.. not much room for speakers anywhere. LINK to thread

Hey all,

I have a triple monitor mount and I'd like to mount my 5 speakers right above them. My thought was to use some sort of flex arm mount that you might use for a studio microphone. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Vidpro-FA-22...ds=flex+mount&qid=1563798205&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I recall many years ago a member on here did something similar. Sadly it looks like that post is long gone.

Looking for some ideas. I don't want to put another full triple arm across the top of the monitors.

View attachment 175722

You talking about me?

https://www.eliteownage.com/desk/speakermount.jpg

What speakers do you have? A flexible tube probably wouldn't support them unless they're super small.

The cleanest way would probably be getting a hex mount instead of the triple, as long as they're small enough speakers.

Using individual pole stands is nice because you can move them and actually put the rear speakers behind you, and move them back when you aren't using them.

Logitech X450 5.1 so not super big or heavy.

My stand does come in a hex option but I was not able to yet find where to buy just the top part of it.

Logitech X450 5.1 so not super big or heavy.

My stand does come in a hex option but I was not able to yet find where to buy just the top part of it.

I think I have the hex version of the same mount and I don't think you can. You would also need a taller center pole unless you lower your monitors.

Do those speakers have a mounting screw hole on the back?

So a bit of digging and you can buy a longer center pole and extra arms (who knew). basically making the hex stand.

I will update once the parts come and I can work on it some.

Stand by.

Alrighty. Success!

So I had the Tri monitor stand. There is a hex stand available also. I ended up just buying the pole extension, attachment piece and arms. A few holes / screws later I'm done.

The only thing I need to do is cable management and make some small shims for the Right Left speakers so they point more directly at me.

Overall I'm 100% happy with how this came out. Exactly what I wanted.

Before
20190721_185608.jpg

After
20190803_211252.jpg

20190803_211153.jpg

Why would you put all 5 speakers on one side if they are designed for surround sound?! May as well just get a good stereo setup.. better end result and tidier.

Why would you put all 5 speakers on one side if they are designed for surround sound?! May as well just get a good stereo setup.. better end result and tidier.

Because this is what I wanted to do :)
I like how it looks and it sounds great to my non-audiophile ears. Plenty of depth to the sound.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Wow never seen Genelecs like that - quite a serious setup, you got all the audio toys. What's the small silver thing to left of keyboard?
Nice volcano ;D
Because this is what I wanted to do :)
I like how it looks and it sounds great to my non-audiophile ears. Plenty of depth to the sound.
Fair enough it does look quite neat and if it makes you happy that's all that matters ^_^ Enjoy!

Hey all,

View attachment 175722

You probably need a different solution for your front 3 speakers vs your rear 2 speakers (assuming a 5.1 setup)

I had the same issue and ordered three FSTT stands from Sound Anchors: http://soundanchors.com/products/2022/fstt

It's normally like $250 per pair, but I custom ordered three and it was about $400 with shipping (not gonna lie, that's a lot for stands, but that was my gift to my self after a nice bonus)

uDm7K1R.jpg

One issue I had was that the center stand base (which is a plate) conflicted with my center pole mount - so I called Sound Anchors and they custom designed me a base plate that was basically a squared horse-shoe shape so it would go around the center pole. They charged my like $50 (not bad for a one off custom job).

As for side speakers, my advice is to just wall mount them. There are tons of mounts on Amazon for this. I ended up getting JBL wall speakers because they are easy to mount, sound good and are slim:

(I got my pairs for $88 per pair before Z made them cool: )

If you really want to get wild, Creative Labs made a device, years ago, called the "Surround Station" that would put your rear speakers on a folding arm:

entireset2-big.jpg

It's impossible to find and that's OK because you have to use tiny little speakers - but I did make my own, beefier version that worked really well (but you need to anchor it with some real hardware):

These are early pics and look terrible: https://hardforum.com/threads/cl-surround-station-homebrew.1811672/

But the final version was pretty sleek and worked great:

QNJNnG7.jpg

Gallery here:

Last edited:
Back