Mounting metal stands to glass desk

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm going to be mounting metal monitor stands via clamp to a glass desk and I'd like to put a foam rubber sticky mounting tape on each side of the clamp so it doesn't crush the glass but it still has adhesion and doesn't slide off the back. I have no idea what its called and googled it for about 20-30 minutes and couldn't really find what I was looking for. Anyone have experience with what I'm looking for and can link me to it on amazon or whatever? That would be greaaaaaat

My concern is the type of stands and clamps you will be using and if the glass will be strong enough to support the stands/monitors without breaking. You might want to consider a wall mount instead.

Depending on the type of clamps you can build up your own gaskets with whatever material you like. A visit to your local gasket house will reveal tons of types of gasket material in various thickness; some may already have an adhesive film that can be cut to fit.

In a pinch you can make your own using adhesive transfer tape if you need it sticky on both sides. We use it at work on foam, cork, felt or wherever we need "instant" press and stick capability. You can get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/super-strong-...01634&sr=8-15&keywords=adhesive+transfer+tape

and attach it to something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/LASCO-02-1048...409001861&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+gasket+sheet

You then have a double sided sticky gasket. Gasket material type and thickness is variable. Your local gasket shop can likely advise. Also talk to folks in your local glass store--they can probably advise the best type of gasket material, thickness and so forth.

There are tons of rubber bumpers and tapes used in boating, skiing and other hobbies that might cut to size, peel, and stick.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Let me be a bit more specific. I want to mount These to This I want to put a small piece of rubber on either side of the clamp to protect the glass and get a better grip on the glass

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I pretty much had an idea of what you were trying to do. I have a glass desk myself. I'd still be afraid to try and clamp anything as heavy as a monitor to it and apply that much side force. Not sure the glass will support it without cracking and don't want to find out.

I might try to clamp the stand to the metal side rail of the desk you linked to--mine doesn't have that. Or bolt it on--looks like it has holes in the base for such an application. Also not sure the clamp will close enough to catch on the 1/4 inch glass. Read some reviewers mentioning they'd like to see it clamp on thinner desks.

Either way, you can use just any old piece of rubber to put between the clamp and the glass--needs to be fairly thin and dense so it doesn't compress much--maybe cut up an old mouse pad or look around the hardware/auto parts store for something you can use. Not sure you'd need it to be adhesive since it will be comrpessed by the clamp--we used to use old pieces of tire tubes for gasket--hard to find them today--maybe a bicycle tire tube.

One thing about my glass desk--it looks nice but is an absolute dust, fingerprint and grease magnet. Also have not found any optical/laser mouse at all that will work without using a mouse pad under it. Not sure I would buy another glass topped desk again. Think I know why they were on closeout at Office Depot!

Last edited:
WEll, I see.......I would put a larger area on your Glass to make sure it does not break Glass.......maybe 2- 4" x 4" metal plates w/ thin rubber backing on them.

I think your asking for trouble with your setup...But it will look great when done...

@HDriscoll thats perfect thanks!. Yea Its a bit of a risk but they are pretty light monitors and its safety glass so it should be solid. (fingers crossed)

Back