Mounting a 255 Pound Display on an Angled Wall

Draxanoth

Gawd
I have an interesting scenario I'm hoping some of my [H] brethren might be able to lend some advice on.

We have a smartboard set up right now in a conference room that the brass want to replace with an 80" touch screen. The whole thing sounds awesome. My dilemma is the wall it's on is not perpendicular to the rest of the room, it's at about a 15 degree angle because the front of the building is round and a lot of the room's are trapezoid shaped as a result. They would like the fancy new 80" screen to be flat viewed from the conference tables, not angled at them due to the wall, which means I need an articulating mount.

This is the TV/Monitor they're after. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824007140

My go to with projector's has always been peerless mounts, but they don't make one in the magnitude required to hold 255 lbs and swing out 15 degrees. Does anyone have experience mounting a display of this weight? Any mounts you would recommend? Am I better off asking maintenance to build out a support from the wall to take up the difference?

I appreciate your time.

Drax

Am I better off asking maintenance to build out a support from the wall to take up the difference?

Yes. While there probably is a mount beefy enough to do this, it doesn't serve a purpose unless you will be swinging this 250 pound screen around. Build a support that closes the 15 degree gap, and bolt this directly into as many studs as possible. Better safe then sorry.

Yes. While there probably is a mount beefy enough to do this, it doesn't serve a purpose unless you will be swinging this 250 pound screen around. Build a support that closes the 15 degree gap, and bolt this directly into as many studs as possible. Better safe then sorry.

This. Build a vertical frame to offset the incline and mount to that.

Alternatively, mount hooks and hang the tv from light chain.

You have a crude drawing of the room along with ideal position?

Last edited:
Have the maintenance guys drill a metal plate and mount TV to it. Then rip cut two rows of french cleats 4x6(upper) and 6x6(lower), taking into account the offset angle of wall. Countersink holes for lag bolts. Attach to the angled wall studs. Rip cut the other half of the cleats and attach to the metal plate. Hang TV on cleats. BONUS: Since the saw is already out, miter some moulding to make a frame for the TV.

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate your input. The spacer/wedge idea seemed like the right idea to me the more I pondered on it, but with 250 lb equipment I wasn't sure that was the way to go or not. I'm Stunned with how heavy 80" touchscreens are.

Even though I think I have my answer, here's the rough sketch for you Morgwon. Since you took the time to read my dilemma I wanted to take the time to reply to your inquiry.

RoughSketch_zpsa5e591c7.jpg

You can see how the display wall isn't perpendicular to where conference tables are assembled. If the retracting wall was a permanent one I could have had it mounted on the other side, but that would have been too easy.

Actually that isn't what I envisioned your wall being. I thought it was inclined vertically :D

Even so, building a frame off the wall will work.
Have you considered a rolling TV stand? That would be more versatile...

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kanto-MTM90W-...&sr=8-41&keywords=heavy+duty+rolling+tv+stand

Consider that the width of your TV is about 70 inches. If the wall is 15 degrees inclines you will have to mount one side almost two feet off the wall to offset the angle!

If your conference room has metal studs you can forget it!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have the facilities make the wall flat. The reason I say this is that if you build it out teh TV. you will have something or someone catch the built out edge eventaully and flex that screen. Not good.

Or have them build out shelves on the one side that open to the left of the TV to create the mount point. You can use it to hold the various AV equipment and cables. And have the shelves be a little left of that edge so people bump the shelving and not he TV.

Have the facilities make the wall flat. The reason I say this is that if you build it out teh TV. you will have something or someone catch the built out edge eventaully and flex that screen. Not good.

Or have them build out shelves on the one side that open to the left of the TV to create the mount point. You can use it to hold the various AV equipment and cables. And have the shelves be a little left of that edge so people bump the shelving and not he TV.

Agreed if this is an option.

Tell facilities your need a flush wall segment in the specific size you need and able to bear the specific load you need.

It's not a basic task to support 250 pounds cantilevered two feet.

if a wall is not an option how about a custom stand? You can have it built to the height desired.

Untitled.png

if you can't build out the entire wall. Build out two mount location. One shallow for the right edge. One deep for the left edge. The deep build out could have shelving for all the conf elecontronics. Leave enough space to the left of the shelves for someone to stand or even have a chair there to run the show. A cuby hole for an AV lacky to sit in the shadows.

Back