Mount partition as folder "Program Files"

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
My system is currently setup with the following partitions:

1) C: System [5GB]
2) D: Programs [45GB]
3) Unallocated [41GB]
4) E: Storage [60GB]

Storage is mounted as "My Documents". I wanted to mount Programs to "Program Files" but the folder must be empty to mount...

Is there any way to temporarily remove Windows dependency on the "Program Files" folder so I can migrate it to its own partition or am I out of luck.

Easy...

Use TweakUI for Windows XP. Under Special Folders change program files to another location, mount the folder, copy everything and then move it back. To avoid problems DO NOT run ANY shortcuts or programs until you have the Program Files directory back.

I've said it every time it comes up - there's no point in installing programs to a separate drive/partition. Most modern windows programs will have to be reinstalled if you wipe the OS & lose your registry.

ameoba said:
I've said it every time it comes up - there's no point in installing programs to a separate drive/partition. Most modern windows programs will have to be reinstalled if you wipe the OS & lose your registry.

I partitioned my system this way to allow me to reinstall the operating system while preserving my documents and allowing me to access settings files and saved games from the program files folder. I would always be formatting this partition (programs) after windows installation completes.

On my own machine I install all programs the second partition in strict categorization, I do not want the disorganization of the default program files folder. However, I am happy with this partitioning method and was going to convert a few other machines. I figured people would forget to use D:\Programs instead of the defaults so I figured I'd just mount the partition to the default install directory.

*There is also a drop in average read speed the further you read on the disk, I figure I'd prioritize the files that need higher read speeds. * Please correct me if I'm wrong.

melteye said:
*There is also a drop in average read speed the further you read on the disk, I figure I'd prioritize the files that need higher read speeds. * Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is, but it will not make a difference in loading the majority of applications. Unless you application is a single large file read in one continous block, which most are not.

Didn't think so. But the ease of management I prefer, any slight improvement is a plus.

Back