Mount NAS on boot. Kindof? I'm confused.

So I have a Synology NAS that I use for a few things. One of those things is unifying certain software configuration files between my PC and laptop via symlink. (I know, symlinking to a network asset is barbaric.)

The drive "maps" every time I log on. I can see it under the drives menu. However, most times when I log on, there is a red "X" over the drive icon until I click on it. Then it performs fine.

Thing is, until I click it, the software symlinked to files on that drive can't see them.

What does clicking it do, and how can I make it do that on startup? It remembers the drive, it's there on powerup, it just... doesn't wanna work until I pay attention to it.

So, I don't know how to properly fix this behavior.

If it was me, though, I'd probably duct tape it. I'd put something in my startup, like a batch file or whatever, that initiates some kind of activity on the mapped drive; perform a directory listing or something, and then exit. So each time you boot up, once the boot cycle is done that script goes off and hopefully fires up the active connection.

So, I don't know how to properly fix this behavior.

If it was me, though, I'd probably duct tape it. I'd put something in my startup, like a batch file or whatever, that initiates some kind of activity on the mapped drive; perform a directory listing or something, and then exit. So each time you boot up, once the boot cycle is done that script goes off and hopefully fires up the active connection.
That sounds as good to me as any. A CD and DIR command maybe.

Are you running Windows 7? Try Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok. Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon set this to Enable then reboot. Sounds like the login is not getting an all clear for the NAS either before the network initialized or because the drives on the NAS take longer to spin up from power save than your system wants.

Are you running Windows 7? Try Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok. Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon set this to Enable then reboot. Sounds like the login is not getting an all clear for the NAS either before the network initialized or because the drives on the NAS take longer to spin up from power save than your system wants.
I'm on 10, but I'll see if I can find the equivalent setting. I didn't get the chance to try the login batch file yet, but I'll try and do both tonight.

It is in the same place in 10, I was just wondering what version you were running.

Unfortunately mapped drives simply aren't reliable in Windows.

One thing I've seen people CLAIM works (but can't test myself since I don't have a NIC that has the option).

Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right-Click on device > Properties > Advanced Tab
Find "Wait For Link". Probably set to AutoDetect. Set it to ON.

just set a windows password and the time it takes for you to log in is long enough for networking to fire up get DHCP and network up (i have this issue with Lenovo systems with SSDs installed in them as they startup so fast you don't even see the welcome to windows screen its just black screen with the flag for 2 seconds and then desktop appears but as networking is not up yet it fails to connect to the network disks, so i just put a password on there and issue sorted)

Back