Mount/heat for 30 inch portrait mode

evileye

n00b
I'm looking to try out my dell 3008wfp's in Eyefinity portrait mode but have 2 problems/questions:

1. Heat dissipation. These things get ridiculously hot and I'm wondering if there's adequate thermal design to keep them cool on their side. Thoughts?

2. Monitor Mount. There's no wall behind my desk that's suitable for mounting, therefore I'm limited to desk/pole mounts or stands. The Ergotron MX doesn't support 30" in Portrait (the arm is apparently too small). I'm not afraid of a little DIY. I'm using the Ikea Gallant desks currently that I've been thinking about ikea-hacking to work with the Ergotron MX, but I'd prefer a retail solution. Rotating mount is a plus, however it's not necessary.

(Why am I bothering? Eve Online, as of Dominion, is vert-. Damn you CCP and you FoV "fix".)

How about an Ergotron Neo-Flex, very low profile, landscape or portrait with just a swivel, and height adjustable. I have quite a few of them. As for heat dissipation I wouldn't worry too much. As long as there is air flow available it should be fine.

IMG_1228.jpg

I was thinking about getting an arm that's not rated for the weight (3008wfp is 11kg + very deep vs. 8.2kg rating of the neo-flex) and just supporting them by additional means. The neo-flex definitely has the vertical clearance for portrait mode. I'm still hoping for a complete retail package.

Back