Motorola’s New P30 Smartphone Blatantly Copies iPhone X

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The increasing adoption of a notched design proves that Android smartphone manufacturers will not hesitate to take a page out of the iPhone X playbook. Motorola appears to have stolen the entire literature with their new P30 smartphone, however, as it looks almost identical to Apple’s flagship handset.

Since the iPhone X launched last November, many Android smartphone makers have adopted the notched design to allow for maximum screen space to compete with the iPhone lineup. Smartphones from manufacturers that include LG, Leagoo, Huawei, OnePlus, Asus, Vivo, Oppo, and others have adopted the notch design. Even Google is set to copy the iPhone X's notch with the upcoming Google Pixel 3 XL, based on leaked images.

Get rid of that stupid selfie camera!!! All screen with no gimmicks. Hell, Essential phone did a better notch before the iPhone X craze.... fucking sheep .

Why do they feel the need to copy apples designs. IE: this silly notch and dropping 3.5 connection.

Apple doesn't give a shit, and neither should anyone else. Apple gets more returned iPhones than Motorola sells so they couldn't care less.

I'm not an Apple hater, but I'm sick of all these articles and people saying everybody is copying Apple. Apple wasn't the first with a notch, apple wasn't the first to ditch 3.5" jack (this was actually Moto if I remember right), apple wasn't the first to have dual cameras. All phones are rectangles with as much screen as possible, and they all have rectangles on the back (either top left or top center) because of the dual cameras.

Moto's only unique design feature that is on all their phones is the little indented circle with the M in it. Apples only unique design feature that is on all their phones is a non-standard USB port.

The P20 was a copy too, no surprise. The Matebook line is nearly a carbon copy of the macbooks. Huawei steals EVERYTHING, as is chinese tradition these days. Now that Motorola is owned by Lenovo. Its not going to be any different.

EDIT: Lenovo

You gotta give Samsung credit lately. They are sticking with the headphone jack and refusing to jump on the notch bandwagon. They also learned their lesson about removing the sd slot as well.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Well, Motorola is Chinese owned now right? Is it surprising that the country that hasn't had an original idea since the Ming dynasty should make a blatant copy?

Why do they feel the need to copy apples designs. IE: this silly notch and dropping 3.5 connection.

Nothing like copying bad designs because they are trendy.

The notch is a bad design decision, and so is dropping the 3.5 connector. Just like all the cars that not only don't have a spare tire, they don't even have a place to put one.

Oh noes they are copying the notch of the iPhone...
Just as an FYI...who did it first
Oh yea...the Essential Phone, which Apple then copied

So you know....a non issue

I'm really still not into notches, I like the latest patent of the essentials phone where there is literally a camera icon on top of the camera on the lcd though, I'm wondering if OLEDS (or may future tech) can produce 99.99% (if not 100) transparency in the future and just drop the notches , if you want to use the camera, then the are on the screen where the camera resides just shuts off revealing the camera.

The increasing adoption of a notched design proves that Android smartphone manufacturers will not hesitate to take a page out of the iPhone X playbook. Motorola appears to have stolen the entire literature with their new P30 smartphone, however, as it looks almost identical to Apple’s flagship handset.

Since the iPhone X launched last November, many Android smartphone makers have adopted the notched design to allow for maximum screen space to compete with the iPhone lineup. Smartphones from manufacturers that include LG, Leagoo, Huawei, OnePlus, Asus, Vivo, Oppo, and others have adopted the notch design. Even Google is set to copy the iPhone X's notch with the upcoming Google Pixel 3 XL, based on leaked images.

Apple was not the first to use a notch, LG was actually first to make one and ship a phone. However Apple being Apple made the thing popular and now everyone thinks they invented it and everyone copied.

I absolutely positively do not understand the notch hate. Its making use of a dead area with those little icons that while important, all the do is eat space during use. Same with the circle square triangle icons sitting dead there while in use... They could very well be in a bottom NOTCH and call it a day... Many other gripes i get... The notch, not really.
I don't .. i always thought the iphone x was made by samsung.. do i have my time lines wrong? Meh.

I’ll never buy a phone with a fucking notch in the screen. NEVER!!

Honestly they aren't the end of the world. While I agree it's a stupid design that's completely contradicting (let's have a notch to reduce bezel while reducing usable screen space?) on my friends LG G7 you can just have the notification bar fill in the gaps on the side of the notch so it looks like there's no notch. As long as that's an option it's not too bad.

I'm literally getting so tired of this garbage. Why can't companies innovate? Follow their own paths and desires instead of copying each other? That's all it's really coming down to now, the smartphone craze is starting to die out.

I'm literally getting so tired of this garbage. Why can't companies innovate? Follow their own paths and desires instead of copying each other? That's all it's really coming down to now, the smartphone craze is starting to die out.

Question,
I'd like to introduce you to Answer:

There are only so many ways to make a rounded rectangle with a screen on one side.

Meh, all that happened here was a sale on unsold iphone x screen inventory. That is all.

Back