Motorola to Launch Droid 4 in December?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
These days Motorola turns out Droids just about as fast as Google updates the Chrome Browser. It seems like only six months ago when Motorola introduced the Droid 3….oh wait, it was six months ago. :D According to Droid life, all of the indicators point to the Droid 4 being launched on December 8th. Ready or not, here it comes.

I used to think nothing was released more quickly and outdated as quickly as computer hardware, but smartphones have proven me wrong. :D

I am happy to see that sliders are still not dead yet, like PC gaming! Even if the majority prefer slate smartphones with virtual keyboards and consoles, I'll be one of those crazy minorities where eventually someone will want to pander to my wants and needs. ;)

i cant stand virtual keyboards, physical keyboards 4 Lyyyyfeeeeeeeeeee

If you're just doing texting or something then the virtual keyboard is fine. However, writing something longer or playing a game requires button away from the screen. I remember playing final fantasy on the iphone and it was horrible because my thumbs covered half the screen.

A tool to remove the battery cover... Wow that's annoying. When the phone freeze, not being able to remove the cover without the tool is a big problem!

I hate physical keyboards. I cant type on them worth a damn. Im infinitely better with a touch keyboard.

This is one reason I won't go to an android phone. Petty as it may sound, I don't like having my phone outdated every six months, when I'm stuck in a contract for two years.

A tool to remove the battery cover... Wow that's annoying. When the phone freeze, not being able to remove the cover without the tool is a big problem!
At least you can get to the battery, unlike an iPhone. My old iPhone 2g froze and I had to wait until the battery ran out days later to reboot it once.

I still don't think its confirmed if the battery is removable or not. Earlier rumors said it is not removable. Also when looking at the product spec sheet, in the list of "Included accessories", a battery is not included, making me think its integrated into the phone. I believe after you take off the back cover with that included tool, you can only swap the sim and micro-sd card. :(

This is one reason I won't go to an android phone. Petty as it may sound, I don't like having my phone outdated every six months, when I'm stuck in a contract for two years.

How is it outdated? My original Droid (2+ years old) can still run any app on the Market fine. True, the newer phones have more memory, can surf faster, and have higher FPS during games, so what? The Apple products are the same.

I am extremely disappointed with the change to a non-removable battery. That is almost a deal breaker.

Then go iphone they refresh every 1+ years and are still outdated.

By the time Verizon gets around to releasing the Galaxy Nexus, the replacement will be ready.

Your phone is outdated every 6 months, but you're locked into a 2 year contract. So unless you like paying extra for an early upgrade, why care?

BTW how does this separate Android from other phones? iPhone 4 was released a year ago, so those who own iPhone 4's can't upgrade to 4S without paying a fee. I also don't think Windows Phone 7 is any different either.

Isn't this also "grass is greener" or "keeping up with the Jones" sorta deal? Your comment is a bit materialistic sounding. How many people here would honestly say that they need a dual core 1Ghz+ phone? I'd imagine the Droid 4 would have to be a quad core.

I'd be surprised if anyone here uses their phone beyond texting and occasionally browsing the web. Oh and don't forget facebook.

I'll be passing on Moto this time around, as I did with the Bionic and Razr, and will be getting the Galaxy Nexus.

I'm a hardcore physical keyboard junkie, but damn I want one of those 720p screens on the Rezound or Galaxy Nexus. This isn't going to be an easy choice and either way I'm not going to be completely satisfied...

Hmmmmmm that reminds me of another phone...................oh i remember now, its the iphone.

i cant stand virtual keyboards, physical keyboards 4 Lyyyyfeeeeeeeeeee

onscreen keyboards are actually very easy to use. After having used Blackberries for a better part of a decade, I switched to an iPhone 3Gs and I was close to running out of hair to pull the first week or two. It gets easier and then you never want to go back. Virtual keyboard allows for thinner and lighter devices with room for other functions like ports and SD slots.

There is a button combination that does a battery disconnect on the enclosed Android phones - you won't need to physically pull the battery if this is the case.

onscreen keyboards are actually very easy to use. After having used Blackberries for a better part of a decade, I switched to an iPhone 3Gs and I was close to running out of hair to pull the first week or two. It gets easier and then you never want to go back. Virtual keyboard allows for thinner and lighter devices with room for other functions like ports and SD slots.

I'm I could get used to touch screen keyboards, if I wanted too. That isn't the problem though. For me it's about what I see. What do you see when you're typing on your phone? Pretty much your fingers right? A 4 inch screen is pretty big, but also pretty useless if your fingers are getting in the way.

There's also gaming as well. I like to run emulators on my phone, cause nothing on the market can match the quality of console games, even from 20 years ago. Buttons are a must. I beat Sonic the Hedgehog using Gensoid on my phone. Haven't done that in over a decade. I'd hate to imagine what people go through with just a touchscreen. Before anyone says anything about bluetooth controllers, keep in mind that I only use my phone to play games when I find myself bored, and not at home. So for me to carry around an accessory is a bit unrealistic.

To be honest, phones without keyboards are ripping people off. It's not like you still don't get the touchscreen keyboard.

I just got a Droid 3 in July 2011! At least Droid 4 will be 4G. I'll wait my 2 years and get the Droid 7 or whatever it'll be at by then. :cool:

It'll be a cold day before I buy motorola again.

Been using an Atrix now and while the phone itself has been great, motorola's support for it has been below abysmal. Moto won't even commit to which phones will get ICS, although the hardware clearly could run it.

I'm happy using my phone, but won't even look at another motorola phone for a very, very long time, if ever. Stuck with encrypted bootloaders at first, and now no clear upgrades, it just bites.

I went from a blackberry to a razr and found it difficult to text and email. Then I found out about swype on my razr, its a great feature.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully by the time I upgrade next, custom skins will have gone the way of the dodo.

I just got a Droid 3 in July 2011! At least Droid 4 will be 4G. I'll wait my 2 years and get the Droid 7 or whatever it'll be at by then. :cool:

I want the voyager keyboard! Never got a chance to play with the keyboard on a Droid 3, any good? I think the Droid 2's was ok at best when I played with it (generous mood).

I went from a blackberry to a razr and found it difficult to text and email. Then I found out about swype on my razr, its a great feature.
Yeah, Swype is great. That's my default way of texting unless I plan to write a long message or one with custom words. Then I use the physical keyboard.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully by the time I upgrade next, custom skins will have gone the way of the dodo.
And hopefully a better battery life. Then again, one is never truly satisfied with battery life. At least I'm not. I still haven't found a phone that I can't kill its battery within a day and it's not like I'm 24/7 on my phone.

HD dock at home, nav kit with power in car , hd dock at work...Thats how i roll. Never a care about battery life. ( Droid Razr)

^ Yeah, I also have a USB cable at work, home, and in the car, so that I can charge my phone from most of the usual places I'm at. But if I'm out and about, like a theme park, sporting event, etc., and am snapping a lot of pics and vids, not to mention having GPS on so I can mark where I parked, my Droid 3's battery drains like a mofo. :(

Back