Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580

paco

Gawd
Anyone have any experience with this one? Was looking into this one as an alternative to the Motorola SB6120. The SBG6580 is wireless and has more ports. It is almost $50 more. I do have a wireless router at home, ZyXEL NBG416N.

Worth going for this one? Or stick with the 6120 and hook up my ZyXEL to it?

Anyone have any experience with this one? Was looking into this one as an alternative to the Motorola SB6120. The SBG6580 is wireless and has more ports. It is almost $50 more. I do have a wireless router at home, ZyXEL NBG416N.

Worth going for this one? Or stick with the 6120 and hook up my ZyXEL to it?

It would be better keeping them separate. You might want to consider upgrading your wireless router too.

I've got a SB6120 with an E3000, and I'm happy with it. That setup though is $50 on top of the 6580 (I paid $99 for the E3000), but I believe I have considerably better build/reliability/software/3rd party firmware from Cisco.

If you are happy with your wierless router though, stick with it. It's also nice to keep a cable modem and router seperate.

TWC just put one of those in along with my DOCSIS 3 Extreme service. I had them disable all the features and services on it so that it was just a simple coax to Ethernet handoff like a normal cable modem, but so far it has done very well.

The modem in the SBG is the same chip that is in the 6120 so if you have one already, there really isn't going to be an upgrade there, just a new access point, and if that is what you want, a Linksys E3000 would be a better buy.

I just got the sb6120, and it's been great so far. I've never liked those all-in-one type units. They've never really seemed to be good at everything they do. I'd much rather have a dedicated modem, router/AP, personally. With the extra money you save you could get a refurb e2000 from here for $32, with the code E2000-32.

Back