Motorola SBG 6580 Surfboard Cable Modem?

steveak

Weaksauce
I'm going to be switching from Earthlink DSL to Comcast cable Internet (I have no FIOS or other high-speed provider at my house), and am trying to figure out which cable modem and wireless router to get. I'd just as soon buy my own instead of renting from Comcast, for various reasons.

I am considering the 6580 because of its built-in wireless capability. No need to buy two devices if one will do the same, right?

For info, see:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122014
or
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...reless/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

In looking at the reviews on both sites, I see that some folks love it and others have a lot of problems with it. I'd prefer to keep things as simple and trouble-free as possible, of course, so would consider going to another cable modem and separate wireless router if that is really a better solution.

I live in a manufactured house, so the wireless signal will go only about 30 feet from the living room to an office room. Thin wood walls. My desktop is in living room and my wife's laptop is down the hall in the office.

I don't know much about this type of equipment, so am trying to find out what would work best for my situation. If this Motorola is not a good idea, for any reason, what alternatives would you suggest?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Get a Motorola 6120 or 6121 instead and use your own wireless solution. Get a nice wireless router that does 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz simultaneously. Most clients that are able to connect at 5Ghz should get better performance and rage for doing so.

Get a Motorola 6120 or 6121 instead and use your own wireless solution. Get a nice wireless router that does 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz simultaneously. Most clients that are able to connect at 5Ghz should get better performance and rage for doing so.

I'm along this line of thought also...snag a 6120....and do your own wireless router.

RAGE, not trying to be a word nazi, i just found it funny. Assuming you mean range.

Back