Motorola SB5100 modem - Remote enable/disable

Red Falcon

[H]ard DCOTM December 2023
Hey guys, I have a motorola SB5100 cable modem.
It's in a real difficult position to get to (physically) however, and what I would like to do is enable or disable the internet on it remotely. I can access my wireless router's firmware to change options. Is there a way I can do this with the modem as well?

When I enable/disable it (by pushing the button on top), the modem remains on, it just starts or ends the connection to the internet. But getting to the modem is really difficult and I would like to do this remotely via ethernet or wireless (through the router).

Any and all help will be VERY appreciated! ;)

Thanks!

Nope, unfortuantly the firmware doesn't allow for that feature. Why do you want to disable internet in the first place? If your that desperate you could disable/enable your NIC card, but kinda seems pointless to me :confused:

If you can access your wireless router remotely, you could just enable/disable the WAN link instead of disabling the connection at the modem.

I shouldn't have said enable/disable the Internet, what I meant was putting the Internet to standby with the button remotely.

Oh, I would disable my ethernet card, but I have many machines connected to my rounter and it would be a real pain. Putting the modem to standby remotely would be so much faster.

Please help! :(

Oh, and thank you both for your input! :)

*bump*

Please help! Any and all help will be MOST appreciated!

*bump*

Please help! Any and all help will be MOST appreciated!

Its not possible. Ok a little background I worked in the cable industry for that last ten years most cable compaines use the SB5100 and it has their specific firmware loaded on it. You can NOT CHANGE it let me stress that point very badly. If you modify the firmware they will know almost instantly if it changes and speed parameters their NOC (sometimes called Tier 3) will see you pop out like a sore thumb. I dont know why you would want to remotely stanby ur connection any way unless ur trying to cheat at Halo lol. Also why did they put the modem in a place thats hard for you to get to it should be sitting right next to ur PC unless you have a network panel some where other than where your pc is. I hope i answered all your questions. And i know some one who reads this post is laughing cause they modified their firmware. Sooner or later they will catch it. Seen it happen to 1000's of people. Not a pretty site.

Its not possible. Ok a little background I worked in the cable industry for that last ten years most cable compaines use the SB5100 and it has their specific firmware loaded on it. You can NOT CHANGE it let me stress that point very badly. If you modify the firmware they will know almost instantly if it changes and speed parameters their NOC (sometimes called Tier 3) will see you pop out like a sore thumb. I dont know why you would want to remotely stanby ur connection any way unless ur trying to cheat at Halo lol. Also why did they put the modem in a place thats hard for you to get to it should be sitting right next to ur PC unless you have a network panel some where other than where your pc is. I hope i answered all your questions. And i know some one who reads this post is laughing cause they modified their firmware. Sooner or later they will catch it. Seen it happen to 1000's of people. Not a pretty site.

Thank you very much for your help in this situation. I really appreciate it.
Well, I'm NOT going to modify the firmware, lol. I'll just have to see if I can move the modem to a better location.

Thanks again! ;)

Back