Motorola Razr

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
if this is $799 and using flagship chipset, I’m in.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20962963/motorola-foldable-razr-fcc-listing-leaked-images

upload_2019-11-13_11-18-13.jpeg

Looks novel if you still holster your phone. Not sure why you'd want a flip phone with unseamed screen though. If you are going to go with a flippable screen I much prefer the Samsung design so you get some screen real estate out of the feature.
Don't get me wrong, I love Motorola phones (my current and previous phone was Motorola) but I think the design is going in the wrong direction here.

Fuck.. maybe they will have another V3 style hit out of the park with this. I actually like the idea of that form factor.
As long as battery is removable people will just put thick 4-6k batteries on it... like me. My record uptime so far is 4 days without charging a V10...
iPIxel 14 battery bullshit what?

Was interested until no headphones jack. That said if there is one phone that actually needs the room, this is it.

Specifications:
  • Snapdragon 710 processor :acry:
  • 6GB RAM
  • 128GB internal storage
  • 6.2-inch foldable pOLED display (2142 x 876)
  • 2.7-inch Quick View display (800 x 600)
  • 16MP front-facing camera, f/1.7 with Night Vision mode
  • 5MP internal camera
  • 2510mAh battery
  • USB-C
  • eSIM
  • Android 9 Pie
  • Fingerprint reader
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13...hone-android-hands-on-flip-phone-photos-video

coming January 2020 as Verizon exclusive (DOA). Also using a disappointing old low end chipset. Wonder if there will be a “Razr Pro”

Last edited:
Specifications:
  • Snapdragon 710 processor :acry:
  • 6GB RAM
  • 128GB internal storage
  • 6.2-inch foldable pOLED display (2142 x 876)
  • 2.7-inch Quick View display (800 x 600)
  • 16MP front-facing camera, f/1.7 with Night Vision mode
  • 5MP internal camera
  • 2510mAh battery
  • USB-C
  • eSIM
  • Android 9 Pie
  • Fingerprint reader
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13...hone-android-hands-on-flip-phone-photos-video

coming January 2020 as Verizon exclusive (DOA). Also using a disappointing old low end chipset. Wonder if there will be a “Razr Pro”

That's still a mid-high end SoC and will perform quite well as the 670 (which is basically 3/4 of a 845 with two of its faster cores and the same 4 slower cores) does in the 3a and considering it's smaller form factor and thus battery capacity constraints, I would rather them put that 710 in there than a 855 for worse battery life.

Considering this phone is more for advertising than volume sales given the price and form factor, just like the other foldable phones, I'm not too surprised it's a carrier exclusive and priced as it is. Maybe harsaphes will buy one and let us know how it it compares to his Fold. :p

That's still a mid-high end SoC and will perform quite well as the 670 (which is basically 3/4 of a 845 with two of its faster cores and the same 4 slower cores) does in the 3a and considering it's smaller form factor and thus battery capacity constraints, I would rather them put that 710 in there than a 855 for worse battery life.

Considering this phone is more for advertising than volume sales given the price and form factor, just like the other foldable phones, I'm not too surprised it's a carrier exclusive and priced as it is. Maybe harsaphes will buy one and let us know how it it compares to his Fold. :p

I'm in!

Not gonna lie, I’m actually digging the phone based on the first hand impressions I’ve watched. Hoping this is the way we move forward with folding phones. Screens are already big enough; let me fold my phone like this RAZR so it’s a breeze to carry around in my pocket.

I think the biggest thing for me about this phone is this:

This hinge/folding mechanism apparently prevents a crease from forming which I absolutely detest with the current folding phones.

If the screen is more durable than the Galaxy Fold’s (which can be damaged by just a finger nail) then this will be a grand slam. But even if it isn’t it’s a step forward with just the hinge mechanism alone.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It’s guaranteed to be a plastic screen if that’s what you’re wondering. There isn’t any glass that can survive even the Razr’s bend.

Definitely extremely neat design and far better than the Fold. I’ve no need of this and am on an iPhone right now anyway but recognize the nice thought put into this.

It’s time to recognize that this is easily the most exciting phone for a long while... too bad Motorola will ruin it with carrier exclusivity along with high price for a outdated android system with an outdated chipset. Hopefully we’ll get more form factor such as this so our phones will be more pocketable again

It’s time to recognize that this is easily the most exciting phone for a long while... too bad Motorola will ruin it with carrier exclusivity along with high price for a outdated android system with an outdated chipset. Hopefully we’ll get more form factor such as this so our phones will be more pocketable again
Yeah i'd happily go slightly wider for a headphones jack and higher end SOC + more battery. And I'd pay that price too. IF it's reliable enough.

Anyone figured out screen protectors for the flexi-screens yet?

Definitely the most sensible folding display phone so far. I could see this form factor being a thing.

Definitely the most sensible folding display phone so far. I could see this form factor being a thing.
I don’t know why everyone else is going for a phablet/tablet instead of a small pocket phone/smartphone combination. Especially since android hardly have any tablet sized apps, I don’t know what these manufacturers are thinking. I could see Apple pulling off a phablet/tablet because they have the tablet apps, but not android unless it’s chromebook OS.

Last edited:
Hope the rest of the industry takes notices. This how it's done and I think it could have a real chance to becoming more of a standard as cost comes down and time goes on.

One thing I wish Motorola would change on the next version is they should flip the position of the screen and the camera. Camera needs to be above the screen for selfies, and the camera position would be in the center of the phone when opened like most point and shoots.

Yup, design looks great but motorola is already screwing up its chances.

$1500? is the screen made with unicorn blood?

$1,500, LOL! If I was going to throw away money I'd spend the extra $500 and get the Galaxy Fold. This phone isn't even high end specs and crazy expensive.

$1,500, LOL! If I was going to throw away money I'd spend the extra $500 and get the Galaxy Fold. This phone isn't even high end specs and crazy expensive.
I'd rather have this form factor and save $500 than the specs of the Galaxy Fold. Guess its a matter of preference.

Poor Chinese Moto once a great American company. They can stick this $1500 razr up to its ass.

I'll never have a folding phone just from the fact that it has a plastic screen. I've grown too accustom to the smooth feel of glass under my finger. I hate the idea of having something so soft and scratchable for a touchscreen and it just brings back memories of my Palm Pilots that got all kinds of scuffed up.

Poor Chinese Moto once a great American company. They can stick this $1500 razr up to its ass.

Never mind that the core Moto team is still based in the US, to my knowledge. And really, I don't think Moto lost its greatness through the Lenovo acquisition, as you imply. In fact, I'd say it gained some ground by sharpening its focus (mainly on budget phones like the Moto G series) instead of pretending that it can be all things to all people.

I am liking the design but fuck the price for outdated hardware and software specs.

I was in the cell business for over 25 years. I sold about 6 thousand Razors The only phone that sold more was the Nokia 232. This thing is going to cell like hot cakes and will come down in price with the release of a "pro" version to replace it.

jacuzz1 what sort of issues? I was keen on one for a while.
They're expensive and basically for a while Chinese market only?

I was a huge fan of the original Razr. However, with these specs, prices and being on Verizon only, it's a non-starter for me. If it were unlocked and about $600-$700 cheaper I'd probably get one.

Back