Motorola Droid Turbo Thread

Change your wifi encryption from AES to TKIP. I had the same problem at my office and we use a UniFi AP.

Interesting.

Did the update break AES in general, or just AES compatibility with Unifi's implementation of it?

Does Unifi do anything different when it comes to AES compared to other AP's and routers?

I'll have to see if performance on my phone is significant enough of a concern to reduce the security of my network...

Zarathustra[H];1041366751 said:
Interesting.

Did the update break AES in general, or just AES compatibility with Unifi's implementation of it?

Does Unifi do anything different when it comes to AES compared to other AP's and routers?

I'll have to see if performance on my phone is significant enough of a concern to reduce the security of my network...

It's just a known issue with the Turbo. It's been reported on XDA and AndroidCentral of people having issues with AES. Switching to TKIP will resolve it for now. You really aren't losing much security. I can get on your AES UniFi if I wanted to. ;)

It's just a known issue with the Turbo. It's been reported on XDA and AndroidCentral of people having issues with AES.

Hmm it wasn't this way until recently for me, after the Advanced Calling update. That's when my problems started.

Switching to TKIP will resolve it for now. You really aren't losing much security. I can get on your AES UniFi if I wanted to. ;)

Well, you'd have to intercept the encrypted password in the handshake and then break it. I bet mine wouldn't fall to a dictionary attack...

Just got my new Turbo today from Best Buy. So far it seems awesome but I have barely played with it. Any tips I should know about?

Last edited:
New OTA update this morning.

Still no Lollipop :(

Update details were very generic, so not sure what the changes were.

The OTA update was minor bug fixes. Like the weather portion of the command center not updating properly.

So just saw a thread on XDA Forums. Apparently there is an unlocked version of the Droid Turbo which can be bootloader unlocked and rooted being sold under the Moto Maxx XT1250 name by a bunch of regional CDMA carriers. The phone is compatible with Verizon LTE. The XT1250 is in fact the Droid Turbo but without the locked bootloader, they share the same FCC ID.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-turbo/general/guide-droid-turbo-moto-maxx-carrier-t3044609

I know the phone is a bit "old" but this could be a nice option.

I looked at that thread, I didn't see a confirmation it had an unlocked boot loader. Only a table at the top says it is. If it indeed does I may sell my developer note 4 and pick it up.

Would love Lollipop... any time now.

Such a shame because I love Moto's products

Don't know why everyone is so "NEED LOLLIPOP". The DT is fine the way it is.

Don't know why everyone is so "NEED LOLLIPOP". The DT is fine the way it is.

For me lollipop is more of a nice to have.

I would be happy if they just fixed the many bugs, like slow/terrible WiFi over some connections (related to AES?) and the occasional slowness and freezing, which is incredible considering this is a phone with high end hardware...

I sure do miss the size and the moto actions/moto version of ambient screen, but all the gripes about wifi and such magically went away when I put down the DT and picked up the Nexus 6. I don't regret the change but I wish I'd have not had to.

WiFi compatibility is of concern. But I have yet to experience any slowness or freezing with my phone.

WiFi compatibility is of concern. But I have yet to experience any slowness or freezing with my phone.

For me it is often keyboard related. Like often it will just not respond when typing, but there are other things too. It will be really slow to switch between apps sometimes too.

The Motorola DT support forum is full of irate folks with (mostly) wifi related problems fwiw. Main prob I had was crappy reception, worse than my old phone, my other devices, and worse than the N6. I don't know if it was a bad run, random examples, or some people just don't notice, but it was there and annoying. I'd have liked to take it apart and see how the antennas were setup but too much $ to go poking at. The camera was so-so with anything but well lit still shots too but I could have overlooked that.

The Motorola DT support forum is full of irate folks with (mostly) wifi related problems fwiw. Main prob I had was crappy reception, worse than my old phone, my other devices, and worse than the N6. I don't know if it was a bad run, random examples, or some people just don't notice, but it was there and annoying. I'd have liked to take it apart and see how the antennas were setup but too much $ to go poking at. The camera was so-so with anything but well lit still shots too but I could have overlooked that.

Hmm.

I've been meaning to try to get mine replaced under warranty, to see if it might just be a problem with mine that has been fixed, but it is such a pain to back everything up in preparation for a phone swap, that I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some people on AndroidCentral have said that getting their phone replaced resolved a lot of issues.

Seems to be about a 50/50 chance of a replacement fixing problems near as I can tell from observing forum threads for awhile. It's worth a shot if no other phone is tempting one away.

Funny thing with mine was that early on, in the first few weeks, I went through tech support and actually had really good service, the goofy tier 1 or whatever online chat thing went through the usual dumb simple BS, then they had an actual engineer email me and we went back and forth quite a bit, I still had my s4 and a nexus 7 and did a bunch of screen caps and pics side by side of the wifi analyzer app running on the DT and other devices clearly showing it having crap wifi reception. They admitted and said they could duplicate the problem eventually, then comm sort of trailed off with no resolution. I let it go figuring maybe an update would be forthcoming, but no love was to be had.

The irony was I expected Motorola, of all people, to have kickass radios. And that ended up being the Persian flaw to me.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that I "need" it, it is certainly a want though. That was one of the reasons for choosing the phone. I already liked Motorola, and have enjoyed the DroidX, Droid Maxx, and now the Turbo. I've liked that the phones all ran basically stock Android. The presumption of many I am sure was that being a new phone released right around the time of Android 5 that it wouldn't take long for the phone to be updated. Especially when other phones released before it on the same carrier were enjoying the update, and Motorola is typically pretty good about updating their devices.

Don't need it, it just seemed a little misleading.

Has anyone here experienced the phone shutting down randomly, as well as texting/calls not working after a while? Girlfriend got this phone, and she tells me it gets really hot during the day, shuts down at like 50% battery, then simply will not work for the next few hours. She'll put in on the charger as soon as she notices it's off, but now the battery says it's at 0, and she can't send/receive texts/calls/emails for a few hours afterwards. This is, sadly, her 2nd replacement, and they've all shown these issues to some extent. We've also received 2 replacements with bad screens (1 yellow, 1 mounted diagonally shifted), and right now she wants to move on to an iPhone and abandon android completely.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that I "need" it, it is certainly a want though. That was one of the reasons for choosing the phone. I already liked Motorola, and have enjoyed the DroidX, Droid Maxx, and now the Turbo. I've liked that the phones all ran basically stock Android. The presumption of many I am sure was that being a new phone released right around the time of Android 5 that it wouldn't take long for the phone to be updated. Especially when other phones released before it on the same carrier were enjoying the update, and Motorola is typically pretty good about updating their devices.

Don't need it, it just seemed a little misleading.

Motorola and Verizon already released a statement saying they were working on the Lollipop update for the Turbo and did not want to release it with bugs. Other phones already on Lollipop are having to be patched and those people are pissed off as well. So, which would you rather have? A buggy update now or one that works a lot better later?

Has anyone here experienced the phone shutting down randomly, as well as texting/calls not working after a while? Girlfriend got this phone, and she tells me it gets really hot during the day, shuts down at like 50% battery, then simply will not work for the next few hours. She'll put in on the charger as soon as she notices it's off, but now the battery says it's at 0, and she can't send/receive texts/calls/emails for a few hours afterwards. This is, sadly, her 2nd replacement, and they've all shown these issues to some extent. We've also received 2 replacements with bad screens (1 yellow, 1 mounted diagonally shifted), and right now she wants to move on to an iPhone and abandon android completely.

She needs to exchange that phone. Shouldn't be doing that. Sounds like she just has some bad luck. Both my DT's are flawless.

They do get hot when using the turbo charger. And mine gets a bit warm when streaming a lot of video. Sure she isn't running something that's taxing the CPU constantly? With heavy use I can go 2+ days without charging.

She's running random reminders and calendars, but nothing that should be TOO taxing. The problem, as she describes it, is that everything goes to shit when she hits the basement of her school. Signal is weaker (but still there), but the battery heats up quickly (assuming it's pulling harder for a signal), and then texts/calls/data just die out.

You can run something like GSAM that will record battery life/discharge rate/temp and you can see what it's doing. All the high end phones will get pretty damn hot if you pull on or charge the battery hard, especially if it's coupled with the CPU or the radios getting warm too. I suspect that if we tested them the way we test PC's for dealing with heat (prime95, etc) a lot of them would fail.

Motorola and Verizon already released a statement saying they were working on the Lollipop update for the Turbo and did not want to release it with bugs. Other phones already on Lollipop are having to be patched and those people are pissed off as well. So, which would you rather have? A buggy update now or one that works a lot better later?

But of course, I want it all!

And perhaps some of your s/n as well

Have any of you had image retention issues with this phone?

I got mine at launch and for the last couple of months I've noticed image retention on my screen. I often use the phone in conjunction with Waze, and it seems like the GUI elements of waze are permanently burned into the screen of the phone.

I've never even heard of a phone having image retention issues before. It's not like it's a CRT or plasma... I used Waze all the time with my last three phones (iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> LG G2) as well as my tablet (2013 Nexus 7) and never had any retention at all.

I wonder if there was something wrong with the early phones screens?

I'm planning on trying to replace it under warranty. It has enough issues.

Unless the newer phones are better than the one I got at launch, I would struggle to recommend these to anyone.

- Wifi is terrible on AES security networks.
- Screen retention
- No lollipop, despite being promised to be "one of the first phones to get it"
- Ballistic Nylon backing not wearing well.
- Battery life not living up to advertised expectations.
- Frequent keyboard slowdowns (zoomed letters getting stuck during typing, and only catching up after a few seconds, etc.)

I'm hoping getting a replacement will help things.

It is an oled screen so it is susceptible to burn in/image retention just like plasma and crt, your s3 would be susceptible to it as well. It could be that as they go higher resolution on smaller screens they are more susceptible to this as the actual oled pixels are smaller and degrade faster, also rumor is samsung saves its A grade manufacturing of oled screens for its self and everybody else gets B grade stuff, but I haven't seen specific proof of that.

Well, 5.1 is here!

19153645829_09c695d010_b.jpg

All around 5.1 is great. Snappy, and many of the bugs and problems I was having are gone.

WiFi on AES networks is still a problem though, and I have some new screen artifacting along the right side on some web pages, which is odd.

I also.miss the ability to quickly enable/disable auto screen brightness from the pull down settings menu.

You can still adjust brightness there, but auto brightness remains on, unless you go into the full settings menu under display.

This is a bummer, as when hopping in my car on sunny days, when starting Waze, I'd always disable auto brightness and pin it so I could see the screen, and the turn auto brightness on again when done driving.

Now there's just a slider which somehow has auto brightness included.

Updated to 5.1 as well. No issues here. I do miss the auto-brightness check box. Plus I don't like how I have to pull the top menu down twice. Much rather have the button in the top right. And WiFi still sucks.

Otherwise, good to go.

Updated to 5.1, pretty happy with it so far.

My screen does seem to like dimming itself now though, which I find somewhat odd.

Glad to finally have a hotkey for rotation lock.

Something else that's a little weird, Orbot doesn't seem to work properly anymore.

So, I got my message warranty replacement phone.

WiFi is still misbehaving.

Seems like it really is something wrong in the software or hardware, not just a defect in my phone.

I wonder if they will replace it with another phone.

I can't have a phone that can't handle AES encrypted WiFi.

Zarathustra[H];1041724741 said:
So, I got my message warranty replacement phone.

WiFi is still misbehaving.

Seems like it really is something wrong in the software or hardware, not just a defect in my phone.

I wonder if they will replace it with another phone.

I can't have a phone that can't handle AES encrypted WiFi.

Hmm. Come to think of it, I don't remember having this problem back when the phone was new.

I suspect it is a bug introduced with one of the software updates (one of the ones prior to 5.1)...

If they can't fix it, I am going to demand that they either give me a different replacement phone, or allow me to upgrade early and vlwave the fee. This is unacceptable.

Hmm, does this menu option in the debug settings mean what I think it might?

Could Cyanogenmod be nigh?

19424228078_eb94eddedb.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041724936 said:
Hmm, does this menu option in the debug settings mean what I think it might?

Could Cyanogenmod be nigh?

19424228078_eb94eddedb.jpg

Never mind. Apparently this means nothing of the sort.

Back