Motorola Droid Turbo Thread

It's ballistic nylon according to our employee portal page. They're pretty freaking strict on selling them or placing them on consumer accounts, they say you can only do it after the contract is completed or its grounds for termination. Sucks pretty bad :/ I ordered mine, I think the red accents look pretty cool, I just hope a case doesn't make them look weird. Only thing I dislike about employee edition phones is you can't really resell them, by the time the contract is over they aren't really worth anything (2+ years old). So I usually end up giving them to my older relatives.

So they DO have ballistic nylon, and I as a consumer CAN go into a store and order one? Just to confirm. I probably won't even really ask, but I'm curious.

So they DO have ballistic nylon, and I as a consumer CAN go into a store and order one? Just to confirm. I probably won't even really ask, but I'm curious.

He pretty specifically states that they can't be sold to consumers.

They're just for employees, and we can't resell them (until contract is done). They can be activated on regular accounts, but they have a pretty good auditing system, I've seen employees get terminated before selling employee edition phones or getting flagged for seeing a ESN pop up on a consumer account. They really don't want you doing it, it goes against policy, because it makes you a direct competitor with VZW, they pretty much can you instantly. Lol.

49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

It's got some subtle red accenting like in the picture above, and the smooth kevlar finish. I'd be all over it if it was the ballistic nylon instead. I know the manager for my store, so I'd be able to get one for sure, but it just seems like a hassle to swap phones now really.

Meh.

I don't care about appearances.

I'd try to get one if it were - say - bootloader unlocked or something instead, but a red accent doesn't amount to a hill of beans for me.

no cap button probs on mine, I actually like them, and the little sloped lip under them, easier to hold(one handed). I'm sticking with mine too I guess, too much grief to send it back and the N6 reviews aren't really blindingly good. Turbo we must...

I think the cap buttons go on and off per the ambient light sensor.
Or they are random and I was drunk, not sure which.

Zarathustra[H];1041237051 said:
Meh.

I don't care about appearances.

I'd try to get one if it were - say - bootloader unlocked or something instead, but a red accent doesn't amount to a hill of beans for me.

Question - why would you want a hill of beans anyway? Seems like a weird 'want'. I'd rather have like, a Porsche Turbo S, or maybe some Smurf Gummies. Those...those are the things to want.

But on a serious note, I do hear you. It's just...the red accents are pretty neat.

Porsche Turbo S will not feed your kids. Hill of beans will. @1st world :)

Porsche Turbo S will not feed your kids. Hill of beans will. @1st world :)

Turbo S will provide me with hours upon hours of driving pleasure on the track. Can I get that same amount of pleasure from my C63? NO. I MUST HAVE A 3X MORE EXPENSIVE CAR. #firstworldwithnokids.

I'd have no problem wrenching a C63 around a track for hours and love every minute of it.

Motorola Camera app just updated today.

I wonder if it addresses any of the issues people have been having with it.

ya.. i cant say I had cam issues previously.. dont use it enough to know really.

but I remain very pleased with this phone.

but I remain very pleased with this phone.

Ditto. Still looking forward to "Advanced Calling" though. This really should have been available on launch.

Lollipop would be nice too. My understanding from what I have read is that Motorola has it done, but Verizon is still "validating" it.

I swear the cam seems to have itself together a bit more now. Nothing dramatic just less confused feeling.

Zarathustra[H];1041246941 said:
Ditto. Still looking forward to "Advanced Calling" though. This really should have been available on launch.

Lollipop would be nice too. My understanding from what I have read is that Motorola has it done, but Verizon is still "validating" it.
ya, that should have been solved before release.. but hopefully any day now. and yes, Im ready for L too

I haven't checked, but is there at least root available for the Turbo yet? And I guess Sunshine will not work on the Turbo to unlock the bootloader either? I don't need an unlocked bootloader anymore really, but I at least need root on my phone for some Xposed modules.

I don't think root has been established yet. At least not that I can find on XDA or AC.

I went Saturday to fondle one in person. Went to BestBuy and two Verizon stores. Every place has fake ass phones on display. I asked to see a real DT and was told they won't open a box to display a phone. I asked the person at Verizon if they'd buy a car if the saleperson showed them a cardboard version of the car they were interested in. Yeah, I know, car vs phone. Still, I'd be dropping $200 on the phone and thousands over a two year contract. Then the asshat at one store said I can play with a Droid Maxx which was essentially the same phone. :rolleyes: I had to leave after giving them a piece of my mind about lying to a customer.

Don't know about yall, but I like to finger fuck a product before I dump hard earned money on it.

I went Saturday to fondle one in person. Went to BestBuy and two Verizon stores. Every place has fake ass phones on display. I asked to see a real DT and was told they won't open a box to display a phone. I asked the person at Verizon if they'd buy a car if the saleperson showed them a cardboard version of the car they were interested in. Yeah, I know, car vs phone. Still, I'd be dropping $200 on the phone and thousands over a two year contract. Then the asshat at one store said I can play with a Droid Maxx which was essentially the same phone. :rolleyes: I had to leave after giving them a piece of my mind about lying to a customer.

Don't know about yall, but I like to finger fuck a product before I dump hard earned money on it.

Odd.

My Verizon store had the real deal (red, black and nylon versions) on display. They were a little annoying to "fondle" as you put it, due to the attached security wires and gizmos, but I still got the feel for them.

Did you fgo in a rough neighborhood where they need to keep them locked up, or something? :p

Zarathustra[H];1041265697 said:
Odd.

My Verizon store had the real deal (red, black and nylon versions) on display. They were a little annoying to "fondle" as you put it, due to the attached security wires and gizmos, but I still got the feel for them.

Did you fgo in a rough neighborhood where they need to keep them locked up, or something? :p

Only Verizon corporate stores have live phones for demos, afiak. Authorized retailer stores have fake plastic phones.

Anyone have any issue with minor scuffing on the "metal" band around the phone? The top portion of mine seems like it's already got a few scuff marks. I baby the hell out of the phone...unreal how sensitive it is.

My battery has been getting progressively better lately.

rgxb0j.png

313kd3p.png

I'm not a massive user - downloading podcasts, random short internet browsing, listening to music and podcasts, mass amounts of texts, light to medium email, maybe 10-12 phone calls - the phone's been off a charge since late morning saturday. if it wasn't for the camera i'd keep it and be totally happy... but going back to a note 4.

Anyone have any issue with minor scuffing on the "metal" band around the phone? The top portion of mine seems like it's already got a few scuff marks. I baby the hell out of the phone...unreal how sensitive it is.

I got mine on launch day, and haven't been using a case.

I've even dropped it a few times (indoors, not outdoors on pavement, yet)

I just inspected the whole thing, not as much as a scuff anywhere on the whole phone.

I have been very impressed with how resilient it has been.

Only place I have seen any wear has been in the plastic/rubber/whatever around the charging port, which seems to have gotten a little nicked from the plugging in of the cord.

if it wasn't for the camera i'd keep it and be totally happy... but going back to a note 4.

I still don't understand this complaint.

The camera in this phone has been the best I have ever seen from any phone ever, no exception, even able to take some pictures I would have had to grab my DSLR for in the past.

Examples:
15730961041_5284573873_z.jpg
15976629875_e29a29f675_z.jpg

That being said, the camera in a phone is not a selling point for me. I only use it to take silly pictures if I come across something funny when I am out and about. For anything real, I use my camera.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041280464 said:
I still don't understand this complaint.

The camera in this phone has been the best I have ever seen from any phone ever, no exception, even able to take some pictures I would have had to grab my DSLR for in the past.

i agree - it's a perfectly fine camera to have with you if you want to simply shoot photos where everything stands still for the shot - and i don't know anyone that wants to carry around a SLR or even a point and shoot everywhere they go.

Last edited:
I finally got to play with one.

Yeah, the camera is really not doing anything for me. The pictures are great, but the lag between hitting the screen and it taking the pic is unacceptable.

Maybe a different software camera can fix that. Otherwise, I like the phone.

New system update downloading for my Droid Turbo as we speak.

Will update when done.

edit:

15814508227_e24826889d_z.jpg

Yeah, so it's not Lollipop, and it only "prepares for" Advanced calling....

edit:

The first positive aspect of this upgrade is that the boot time splash screen now obeys the volume setting! No more unwanted music/sounds when starting it up!

Last edited:
So there is a new "Advanced Calling" menu in settings.

15380697813_b347b0c574_z.jpg

and inside there's this:

15380713573_d4dbd6fca9_z.jpg

If they plan on charging me extra in order to call and use data at the same time, they are going to have to deal with one unhappy customer.

You can activate advanced calling on your account page on the vzw site.
Haven't actually tested mine but everyone else says it works now.
Has the video call options when in-call too, not that I know anyone else
on vzw with a phone new enough to use it with, but hey...

Camera still kinda sucks. Meh..

You can activate advanced calling on your account page on the vzw site.
Haven't actually tested mine but everyone else says it works now.
Has the video call options when in-call too, not that I know anyone else
on vzw with a phone new enough to use it with, but hey...

Camera still kinda sucks. Meh..

That is odd.

Wonder why they wouldn't just enable it by default.

Anyway, seems to be working now.

Ditto, I don't think I know anyone with this feature to call anyway. Not sure I even know anyone else on VZW at all..

HD calling would certainly be nice for my phone conferences where I have a difficult time hearing everyone in the meetings, but it will only work to other VZW cellphones, which limits its usefulness rather significantly.

Video chat has always been nothing but a gimmick. Back when I had an iPhone I never used face time. I never use skype. It's just silly.

I'm just glad I can talk and have mobile data at the same time now :p

And I still think the camera is great :p I actually like it more than any other current gen high end phone. It does take a little planning to shoot in low light, but that just reminds me of my SLR and doesn't bother me at all.

Besides, I don't understand what you guys use the phone camera for all the time anyway. I've probably only taken 6 pictures with mine since I got it. Stuff like "I saw a funny misspelled sign" or something like that. If I plan on taking pictures I always bring a real camera. Even if the phone had no camera at all, I wouldn't consider it a significant negative :p

Zarathustra[H];1041290041 said:
That is odd.

Wonder why they wouldn't just enable it by default.

There is no auto-fallbackhandoff from VoLTE to CDMA(voice). Your call will get dropped if you lose LTE signal

That's why it's not enabled by default. Verizon needs you to know the risks of this new technology

Last edited:
My call quality through the regular ear speaker (not speaker phone) seems a little...low. Even on max. Is that the equalizer issue I read about a while back, that it needs to be turned off, or?

Is that advanced calling shit worth it too?

Also, where the hell is Lollipop for our phones?!

Zarathustra[H];1041290041 said:
Besides, I don't understand what you guys use the phone camera for all the time anyway. I've probably only taken 6 pictures with mine since I got it. Stuff like "I saw a funny misspelled sign" or something like that. If I plan on taking pictures I always bring a real camera. Even if the phone had no camera at all, I wouldn't consider it a significant negative :p

I don't carry around a DSLR or P&S with me everywhere I go. Weekends out with friends, fishing, silly shit. I take a solid 20-40 pics a week at least with my current phone.

Yeah, it's not "bad" but for 2014 on a high end phone, it's .... "meh"

90% of it's the, for lack of a better term "shutter speed". There is a good thread on android central where I got some folks to post pictures of something repeatable and static (ceiling fan on low) to demonstrate the problem with moving objects. I think they might have gone aggressive with exposure time or whatever passes for that on a digicam when lighting is less than perfect, I also think that's why the move to multiple/ring flashes. I have a 2mp HP from like 15 years ago that can stop motion of that fan, and the DT does as well as the Nexus 7 in that case.
The only other really repeatable weirdness is I can't focus on my christmas tree.
I can drag the focus to my dog standing in front of the tree, then the tree is in focus.
Something is up with that but I'm not sure what yet and I haven't tried other cam apps extensively.

Well lit static objects or things far enough away are pretty good though.

There is no auto-fallback from VoLTE to CDMA(voice). Your call will get dropped if you lose LTE signal

That's why it's not enabled by default. Verizon needs you to know the risks of this new technology

Interesting. There was no mention of it in My Verizon when I enabled it.

That could be a bit of a bummer. So it doesn't work at all over 3G?

Seems like a rather poor implementation.

I think "LTE" is specifically 4g with VZW. I think.
I've heard it'll drop a call if one drops 4G service.
Hard to imagine them getting away with that to the
non tech-types, but I guess most of them don't want
simul voice/data anyway so maybe.

Back