Motorola DROID tops iPhone sales in first 74 days

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=8997

Now I know that the original iPhone wasn't nearly as big a success as the iPhone 3G/3GS was....but that being said. I would call the DROID the first major Android handset and for it to have sold about the same as than the original iPhone in the same amount of time is impressive anyway you look at it. People will try and point out the dates they were sold or the state of the market at the 2 different times but considering Apple's huge following of people who will buy anything mobile and the fact that their phone had pretty much 0 competition at the time, I think it's a decent comparison.

Good Stuff :)

Last edited:
The interesting thing to me is that N1 only sold 135,000 units in the same time iPhone/Droid sold 1 million +.

I wonder how different it would have been if N1 was sold in b&m? Also, Droid supposedly spent $1 million in their marketing push, I wonder how much the other 2 phones spent in their initial advertising campaign?

good to see info like that, we all expect andriod to sell like the current gen iPhones otherwise they are failures and it is good to remember the start the iphone had.

wonder how WP7 is going to sell, i know I want one.... and i would be happy to trade in my iPhone 3g for one

you have to understand the marketing method used by apple vs google, I guess it all comes down to awareness of people on the existence of N1.. phone is great but the way it is being sold exclusively by google baffles me..

The N-One is for us [H]ard geeks only, there is like ZERO advertisement for this phone outside of geek websites or geek magazines.

I don't think the Milf next door knows about the Nexus-One, or Joe blow average guy. But everyone knows of the iPhone. I really do not understand Google's plan for this phone, like they just want us geeks to beta test it or something, and not sell it to the general public ?

The Nexus-One could be a huge seller if they #1 had the real phone inside the retail stores where you can walk in and touch it and play with it, and have a sales person show it off, and then set it up for you, and walk out the door with it working etc...A lot of people might be scared to buy it online without ever seeing it in person ?

#2, Google should advertise the shit out of this phone, make commercials and air them non stop, put it in every type of magazine ad, put up big billboards in the major cities.

N1 was kind of touted to be an "iPhone killer". It just lacks advertising. While the DROID is advertised quite heavily.
I'm guessing Google wanted it to be limited release, to tease the market and views on it.
I think it could easily get up there in sales with the right marketing.

Saw another DROID commecial tonight during lost. I see them all over the place, hehe. I do wish my coworker would change his noti and ringer from default tho.

The problem with the N1 sales is that it's not very well known outside of the tech circle. Personally, I like it that way since I'd like to have a pretty unique phone. They didn't spend nearly as much money on advertisements as Apple on the iPhone or Motorola on the Droid.

Personally, the Google Nexus one commercial on YouTube is probably my favorite one out of any phone commercials. So if they played that on major networks (CNN, BBC, Fox), then they probably would get a lot more sales, especially now that it's confirmed to be on all 4 of the big networks.

Maybe they'll do a bigger push later w/ the catch being, "Get this phone regardless of your provider!"

actually I think it will start to get more movement now that some providers are pushing the phone. Sprint just announced they will be carrying it and I think Verizon will be as well. Now if Google made the unlocked version switchable between network types this thing could sell huge. Altough I don't know how feasible it would be to include both CDMA and GSM hardware inside a single device

The original iPhone was $650 and the number of $650 Droids that sold in the first 74 days was zero. I'm a Windows Phone guy just pointing this out.

The original iPhone was $650 and the number of $650 Droids that sold in the first 74 days was zero. I'm a Windows Phone guy just pointing this out.

The fact that you had to say "I'm a Windows Phone guy" at the end of your statement is enough to know you aren't even worth replying to. Especially since most WinMo users don't say "Windows Phone" :)

Nice try though, I saw how you tried to turn this into a flame war....sooo smooth. haha

The fact that you had to say "I'm a Windows Phone guy" at the end of your statement is enough to know you aren't even worth replying to. Especially since most WinMo users don't say "Windows Phone" :)

Nice try though, I saw how you tried to turn this into a flame war....sooo smooth. haha

Was he wrong though? :confused:

Was he wrong though? :confused:

I have no idea what CopyCat's rant was about other them being wrong but I am indeed correct.

The iPhone was $650 at launch. The Droid was $200. These are just the facts.

And yes, its now Windows Phone.

I have no idea what CopyCat's rant was about other them being wrong but I am indeed correct.

The iPhone was $650 at launch. The Droid was $200. These are just the facts.

And yes, its now Windows Phone.

Hes got a big point. I wonder how well the DROID would have done with out the iPhone doing the initial push for smart phones? The droid is a wonderful phone dont get me wrong but there are plenty of other phones much much better.

I never said he didn't have a point....but he was trying to obviously turn this into an Android vs. iPhone flame war which I don't care for or have time for.
I was making a thread about impressive DROID sales. I didn't think they sold that much so it was surprising. I think it's a pretty fair comparison. You want to bitch about the logistics and try and prove for some ungodly reason why your iPhones are superior in every way please be my guest.

Have fun :)

Thanks Mark! :)

LOL! Just a word of advice CopyCat, you might want to remember the title of your OWN thread before calling out trolls.

But I got a good laugh out of it, thanks!:D

Back