Motorola Droid - $120 shipped w new verizonwireless account @ Dell

it is pretty sad that everybody is broke and losing their houses, yet nobody will complain about wasting 100 bucks a month on a phone?????

wow, just wow.

$40 for voice, another $30 for data. Same as the iPhone. You bitch at all iPhone users right?

How much do you spend on your cable bill?

this is not the website to bring up frivolous spending. you do know where you are, right?

it is pretty sad that everybody is broke and losing their houses, yet nobody will complain about wasting 100 bucks a month on a phone?????

wow, just wow.

Not everyone is broke and losing their houses. Some people actually...GASP...budget and can easily fit in $100 a month for a multi-function communications device that can also act as an in-car GPS, where other people would drop the same coin on DirecTV NFL package, or eating out several times a week, or going to the movies, or, or, or...

Your disbelief is neither warranted or germane to the thread.

It's not so much that people spend $100 bucks a month on a cell phone. Lot's of people spend their money on lot's of things some people might consider wasteful. After all it's your money to do with what you want though.

I think what bothers me is that there is no reason a cell plan should cost $100 a month for a single person. It's kind of outrageous when you think about it. There is no way that $30+ a month is justifiable for a data package. The real cost of bandwidth is no where near that high.

It's not so much that people spend $100 bucks a month on a cell phone. Lot's of people spend their money on lot's of things some people might consider wasteful. After all it's your money to do with what you want though.

I think what bothers me is that there is no reason a cell plan should cost $100 a month for a single person. It's kind of outrageous when you think about it. There is no way that $30+ a month is justifiable for a data package. The real cost of bandwidth is no where near that high.

I can see where you're coming from here.

Family plans tend to be pretty much a rip-off if only one of you are using a data plan.

My wife and I are on ATT sharing a $55 per month plan with 1000 minutes. With her blackberry plan, that makes the bill $145 per month after all the random charges are added in (and I don't have data on my phone).

While I could certainly find ways to use data, in my own mind I just can't justify bringing our bill to close to $200 for entertainment purposes.

There is no way that $30+ a month is justifiable for a data package. The real cost of bandwidth is no where near that high.

You have NOTHING to back that assertion up with. Comparisons to wireline broadband networks are foolish. The infrastructure for those networks have largely been deployed for 20-30 years. The data infrastructure for mobile networks is under current buildout. Further, wireline transmission systems are pretty dumb. You have wires, and some switching gear (DSLAMS, whatever cable uses). Cellular sites presumably need expensive radio gear in every cell tower, in addition to a wired backbone connection.

So, while it is true that the outcome of this calculus could result in $30/mo. being outrageous, it is by NO means a clear outcome.

They charge that price because people will pay it, pure and simple. Just like how much cell companies charge for texts when the actual cost to the company for those texts is almost nil.

I would be curious to see how many data plan subscribers ATT had before the iPhone and how many they have now. People are willing to pay more to have the "coolness" factor phones like the Droid and iPhone bring. If the extra $30 was not worth it for these phones, people wouldn't be buying them.

I agree $100 a month for a cell phone is a lot of money, which is way I am not running out to get one despite how much I like them.

You have NOTHING to back that assertion up with. Comparisons to wireline broadband networks are foolish. The infrastructure for those networks have largely been deployed for 20-30 years. The data infrastructure for mobile networks is under current buildout. Further, wireline transmission systems are pretty dumb. You have wires, and some switching gear (DSLAMS, whatever cable uses). Cellular sites presumably need expensive radio gear in every cell tower, in addition to a wired backbone connection.

So, while it is true that the outcome of this calculus could result in $30/mo. being outrageous, it is by NO means a clear outcome.

Comparisons with wired broadband would be inaccurate but you can make the case that pricing for that medium is just as skewed. It's another issue though.

This isn't concrete by any means but take AT&T for example, as of April 2009 they had 6.4 million US iphone subscribers. That's 6.4 Million X $30/Mo X 12 months = $2,304,000,000 dollars in yearly data plan subscriber fees alone. That doesn't even count regular monthly service charges. Most people with an ipone will tell you that there's no way that AT&T is reinvesting 2 Billion a year back into their network infrastructure. We'd all have 4G every where we go by now.

I really want this, but the Verizon plans are so outrageously expensive.

I pay $50 on Sprint SERO with a BlackBerry Plan. Everything is unlimited, except minutes (500)... but it is free between Wireless and after 6pm, so I rarely ever use my minutes.

The BLackerry Curve does everything I need it to (GPS, web, music, finances, Etrade etc), it just doesn't do it very fast (and it's a piece of cheap plastic).

My order got canceled at some point, so I gave up and re-bought the Droid locally. My guess is that I was using a different number on the plan's 2 year renewal, which I don't think Dell was equipped to do. I couldn't use my own, because a family must have used mine earlier this year, as I'm locked out til April 2011.

Waste of time, but at least the new Droid is working good so far.

Remember to check with Verizon to see if you can get an employee discount!

Originally Posted by PorkyBubs
I called in and they told me driod does not support unlimited txting, that killed the deal right there.

You called........Obama? Obama was wrong.

Does anyone know how long this offer will be valid? I tried calling Dell to ask but he didn't really give me any information about when this is over.

Verizon Wireless called me today and told me that I was eligible for a Droid for $99AR (and $100 instant discount they were offering). I still have a year left on my contract, but I was somehow eligible for a new phone right away. Might be worth calling them and asking.

Hmm, weird it makes you select one of those data packages with the phone. Thing is with me, I already have Verizons premium package I have with me an my wife that includes unlimited data, texts, GPS and 700 mins/month. But it's forcing me to select one of those packages on checkout. I selected the 2-year extension and put in my Verizon phone and account # and it still made me select a plan. I'm not sure wtf it's gonna do when I check out since I technically already have that package..? Maybe I should call them and see.

The unlimited data you have only works with vzw os phones...this excludes msmobile, android, and Bb

You ditch the premium plan and go back to select and add the $30 email and web (smart phone) feature to your line. Now you have unlimited data and txt covered. It'll come out being a little more a month, silly that you have to pay more for unlimited data, but they know you'll be using it more with a smartphone vs the crappy verizon OS phones.

If you mention this price to a Verizon Store employee, they will hook you up. With Dell, you have to pay the activation fee of $30, so I mentioned the price at vzw and she gave me the phone for $150 (same as dell @ 120+30). Still have to deal with the rebate, but it was worth it for me to get the phone right away.

Hm, I didn't see any activation fee with Dell. But for $79.99/month for unlimited data and text, that sure does beat what I'm paying now for my iPhone.

Hm, I didn't see any activation fee with Dell. But for $79.99/month for unlimited data and text, that sure does beat what I'm paying now for my iPhone.

I'm not sure if the 79.99 is with unlimited text or not. I think I had to move to the $99.99 bracket to get texting included :rolleyes:.

Sweet this deal is still active...got a Moto Droid for $20 and an Eris for the wife for free!

For the guy who asked how much we're paying...Total after tax is usually just a hair under $150/mo this is for 3 phones and 2 data plans with 700 shared minutes and unlimited texting (select account) and my wifes 17% discount through work.

So, has anybody tried getting the Droid as an upgrade for one line on a family plan? I've got a Q9c that I want to upgrade from but my wife has a BB Tour that she's quite happy with, so I'd only be touching my phone. I already have a data plan, so basically my plan would be the same, just extended for two years.

So, has anybody tried getting the Droid as an upgrade for one line on a family plan? I've got a Q9c that I want to upgrade from but my wife has a BB Tour that she's quite happy with, so I'd only be touching my phone. I already have a data plan, so basically my plan would be the same, just extended for two years.

I got it for the family plan 4 days ago. I upgrade not on my line but another person on my plan because my plan was not up.;

It's fun to read about all these toys I can't get because of where I live. Screw AT&T, Verizon, and all their map commercials! :LOL:

how long does it take for verizon to review your credit? Thought it was instantaneous...just ordered one...

I got it for the family plan 4 days ago. I upgrade not on my line but another person on my plan because my plan was not up.;

So, they leave you on your current plan if you upgrade the phone? Like I said above, I already have a data plan on my phone with the family plan. Was it a PITA?

I own a droid, the only thing that bothers me about the phone is the limited memory. It does come with 15 gigs of memory, caveat emptor users cannot utilize the space for apps. You're completely limited to 256mbs of disk space for all applications. I love the phone, but this really sucks big time.

Back