Motorola Droid - $120 shipped w new verizonwireless account @ Dell

wow, sweet. just payed 188 at walmart last saturday. love the phone.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

My friend brought his over the other day. It was awesome. Makes my Voyager Titanium look shitty. :(

I bought an iphone the day it came out 2.5 years ago and just got a droid last week. coolest phone of all time. the open nature of the platform makes it truly enjoyable to use. great deal too.

Hot deal for sure. Got mine for $200 at BB then pricematched to $150 because Sears was having a sale. Really great phone and definitely worth it for $120.

I bought an iphone the day it came out 2.5 years ago and just got a droid last week. coolest phone of all time. the open nature of the platform makes it truly enjoyable to use. great deal too.

pretty cool to hear that you like it better than your iphone. i almost jumped on the iphone bandwagon earlier this summer, but chickened out.

pretty cool to hear that you like it better than your iphone. i almost jumped on the iphone bandwagon earlier this summer, but chickened out.

At this point the iPhone's only edge seems to be the App Store. It has more apps than any other marketplace and lots of support. That said the Android app store has something like 10,000+ apps so it's catching up.

The Droid has the better screen, better network, and slide out keyboard. The iPhone is lighter and thinner though IIRC.

Very pleased with my Droid though it integrates seamlessly with Google and the Verizon network is a big upgrade from AT&T.

Now, if only there were Black Friday discounts on cell service, so one didn't have to pay $80-$100/mo to use the Droid...

Now, if only there were Black Friday discounts on cell service, so one didn't have to pay $80-$100/mo to use the Droid...

no kidding. 30 bucks extra a month for a data package. so far i think its worth it. ive had a normal cell phone for almost 10 years, so this is a fun new gadget for me.

Hmm, weird it makes you select one of those data packages with the phone. Thing is with me, I already have Verizons premium package I have with me an my wife that includes unlimited data, texts, GPS and 700 mins/month. But it's forcing me to select one of those packages on checkout. I selected the 2-year extension and put in my Verizon phone and account # and it still made me select a plan. I'm not sure wtf it's gonna do when I check out since I technically already have that package..? Maybe I should call them and see.

Last edited:
As far as I know, older packages with unlimited data do not qualify and Verizon requires a new $30/mo dataplan with the Droid.

Sprint did the same thing with its new phones. They won't activate their new phones under the older, cheaper plans with unlimited data.

Ouch... Only $52 to use my TP2 on Tmo. WTB GSM Droid but of course they don't have it.

Thanks OP for posting this info. I was just at the Verizon store today checking out the Motorola Droid, but just couldn't bring myself to hand over the $300 up front to buy it ($200 after the mail in rebate). Was surfing the [H] tonight and did a quick search for it, and this thread comes up. Called Dell and ordered one immediately for the $120 price tag. Nice deal indeed. :D Since I had an existing plan with my VX6800 they didn't change anything other than paying for the new Droid.

Thanks OP for posting this info. I was just at the Verizon store today checking out the Motorola Droid, but just couldn't bring myself to hand over the $300 up front to buy it ($200 after the mail in rebate). Was surfing the [H] tonight and did a quick search for it, and this thread comes up. Called Dell and ordered one immediately for the $120 price tag. Nice deal indeed. :D Since I had an existing plan with my VX6800 they didn't change anything other than paying for the new Droid.

Wait, wut? It says you need a new verizon wireless account; you just paid 120 flat without a new plan? :confused:

If I was to get the family plan and 2 phones, It says 89.99 per month, Is that 89.99 for both phones or per phone?

If I was to get the family plan and 2 phones, It says 89.99 per month, Is that 89.99 for both phones or per phone?

it's $89.99 for the service plan for both...but then you are REQUIRED to get the $30 data plan for EACH phone which would make it $89.99 + $60 and then expect even more if you want any of the text messaging plans.

Wait I can get the phone for $120 even though I'm already on a family plan? (Cell phone account stuff confuses me to hell and back)

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

My friend brought his over the other day. It was awesome. Makes my Voyager Titanium look shitty. :(

Haha, yeah, I still got my Voyager from last year too and really want to upgrade to this. Verizon store near me wanted like $324 (before $100 MIR). I think I'm about to try what Axdrenalin did and keep my current family plan (w/ unlimited txt/data/GPS) and just get the Droid from Dell. I'm a be pissed if I gotta tack on another "data" plan just for this phone. If so, I'll be happy with my Voyager until my 2 year upgrade in April and hopefully they'll have a new Droid revision out by then.

I called in and they told me driod does not support unlimited txting, that killed the deal right there.

Haha, yeah, I still got my Voyager from last year too and really want to upgrade to this. Verizon store near me wanted like $324 (before $100 MIR). I think I'm about to try what Axdrenalin did and keep my current family plan (w/ unlimited txt/data/GPS) and just get the Droid from Dell. I'm a be pissed if I gotta tack on another "data" plan just for this phone. If so, I'll be happy with my Voyager until my 2 year upgrade in April and hopefully they'll have a new Droid revision out by then.

I just got mine the beginning of this year. :( I don't have the money to upgrade, though I know this phone could last me forever...we have the everything plan for my family, and I think it is a waste for most of my family with the Voyager, but with the Droid...

I just got mine the beginning of this year. :( I don't have the money to upgrade, though I know this phone could last me forever...we have the everything plan for my family, and I think it is a waste for most of my family with the Voyager, but with the Droid...

Ahh, yeah, I know what you mean. We prolly have the same or similar family plan. Me and my wife have Voyagers, she hardly uses data (but she's a txting machine!), but I go online a lot with mine, I'm actually posting this on my Voyager right now :). It's still a decent phone even though the browser is kinda slow and no flash, it gets the job done. I love the keyboard on it. I use GPS on it a lot too so I hope the Droid has a good GPS app. I'm in the car on the way to the mall now (wife is driving fyi, lol) and I'm gonna ask about this Dell deal and data plan for it (if it's required or if I can keep my plan). I'll post back my findings.

Last edited:
Love my droid. Such a powerful platform with such potential. Differences from iPhone? 1) App library is stored in pull-up menu, apps are not stored on desktop. Shortcut to apps can be placed on desktop. 2) Widgets on desktop. 3) Folders on desktop containing apps, or other content (pictures, contacts, macros). 4) Multitasking (hold down home button within any app.)

Downsides: VZ is !#$%'ing expensive. Google really pushes you to use their services. Does not natively use MS-Outlook, but you can dump all your info into the equivalent google service (Contacts, Calendar, etc.) Battery life isn't very good.

Ahh, yeah, I know what you mean. We prolly have the same or similar family plan. Me and my wife have Voyagers, she hardly uses data (but she's a txting machine!), but I go online a lot with mine, I'm actually posting this on my Voyager right now :). It's still a decent phone even though the browser is kinda slow and no flash, it gets the job done. I love the keyboard on it. I use GPS on it a lot too so I hope the Droid has a good GPS app. I'm in the car on the way to the mall now (wife is driving fyi, lol) and I'm gonna ask about this Dell deal and data plan for it (if it's required or if I can keep my plan). I'll post back my findings.

Heh, I hate using my Voyager to post honestly. Maybe because I am so used to fast internet, but I've used it while in places where I have nothing to do. My sister text fucking crazy stupidly (I wouldn't hesitate to say at least 500-1000 a week). The GPS on it is annoying for me, haha. It got my friend and I lost and took us around a lot of side streets. But it isn't horrible. The Droid uses the Google GPS and is pretty good I think.

One awesome thing my friend said is you can set it to ring different in different locations: say you take it to work, when you get in the vincinity you select, it automatically goes to vibrate, and AFAIK, you can set this in as many places as you want.

I also spend $120 a month for cable tv and internet. I always buy starbucks french roast instead of cheap coffee, many different primium beers and whiskeys instead of whatever is cheapest. No doubt there is someone out there that will go...."That much $$$ for primium beer,,,,,," ..."That much $$$ for good coffee...." "That much money for internet....."

Whatever you think is worth spending your money on, there is always some jackass out there that will smugly tell you it's a waste lol

Whatever you think is worth spending your money on, there is always some jackass out there that will smugly tell you it's a waste lol

It's not a waste. I want one, but I think I need my $70 a month more. The instant I don't I will probably be jumping on this phone or whatever is the new hotness at that point, but I'll be grumbling about the price no matter what.

T4rd, they basically just added another 2 years to my existing contract (which ends in March) and let me have the phone for $120 since I already had the unlimited data plan. Make sure that you call them though and don't submit it online. You get much better information that way. Not sure how much the local vendor will give you, since talking to my local people was a waste of time.

T4rd, they basically just added another 2 years to my existing contract (which ends in March) and let me have the phone for $120 since I already had the unlimited data plan. Make sure that you call them though and don't submit it online. You get much better information that way. Not sure how much the local vendor will give you, since talking to my local people was a waste of time.

Thanks, Ax. I talked to 3 diff verizon reps at the mall (all at diff stores in the mall, it's a huge mall) and they all told me I would still need to get the extra $30 data plan for the phone even though I already have unlimited data on my family plan. So that's pretty gay. I'm already spending $140/month on our family plan, so I don't think I can swing an extra $30 on top of that for this. I'm assuming you already had a smart phone (blackberry?) before you got that, right?

Thanks, Ax. ~~~snip~~~ I'm assuming you already had a smart phone (blackberry?) before you got that, right?

I've got an HTC VX6800 that I've been using for 1 1/2 years already. They told me since I already had the unlimited data plan that I was good to go. Hopefully it will be here on Wednesday or so, and I'll get it fired up and verified for certain. If for some absurd reason there is some other catch, I'll be sure and let you know.

$30 for each smartphone is a bit ridiculous.

Unlimited broadband for your average home is like $40-50.

As for texting, you either pay 20 cents per text, or you can add 250 texts per month on one line for $5, or pay $20 extra a month for unlimited on all lines in the family plan.

People need to stop calling Android an "open" platform. What exactly makes it open? Just because apps aren't subject to an approval process as strict as Apple's doesn't make the platform open. I would argue Windows Mobile is more "open" than Android, which is sad.

People need to stop calling Android an "open" platform. What exactly makes it open? Just because apps aren't subject to an approval process as strict as Apple's doesn't make the platform open. I would argue Windows Mobile is more "open" than Android, which is sad.

I dunno, from my limited experience it seems like I can install whatever the hell I want, regardless of whether or not it's even on their marketplace.

whats to stop you from using one of the messaging apps with your unlimited data plan? there are like 10 in the apple store. whats to stop you from using skype and messaging for that matter? buy their cheapest voice plan and using skype for phone and some app for messaging. comes to what? $70/month?

also, wheres my ipod touch android equivalent? i love my touch, but dont mind an open platform. and no, i will not agree to 2 years at $100/month for a droid.

I dunno, from my limited experience it seems like I can install whatever the hell I want, regardless of whether or not it's even on their marketplace.

You can do that on Windows Mobile as well. In my experience, there are a lot of things you can't do on Android unless you root the phone, which is essentially the equivalent of jailbreaking the iPhone. For example, try browsing the file system on your Android phone. Windows Mobile gives you full access to the file system out of the box. On Android you have to install a third party app and even then you only get limited access until you root your phone.

A hundred bucks a month for a fucking cell phone plan...
Bingo. I went prepaid without a stinkin contract & the $ I'm saving buys me better liquor and hookers :)

No worries (or whining) that comes from busting/extending contracts either. With all the better deals and tech coming it's no wonder Verizon, ATT, etc require contracts ... they know their present deals are going to look like crap in no time.

I had a busted Droid, so I returned it to the VZW store. I decided to full return, since I had paid $300+tax, so it would have been $220 after rebate. I ordered through Dell to get it for $120.

It took 1 hour and 18 minutes on the line. It included 3 way calling and waiting on hold with Verizon, hammering out account details (lots of complexity since it was a family plan), and determining which 2 year contract to renew, since mine is mistakenly blocked out til April, so I had used another # on the account for the above Droid.

It also included reading the full ToA twice.

Good god.

it is pretty sad that everybody is broke and losing their houses, yet nobody will complain about wasting 100 bucks a month on a phone?????

wow, just wow.

Back