Motorola Bootloaders Unlocked

Yeah saw that over the weekend. Dan Rosenberg has outdone himself yet again. That honestly makes getting an RAZR HD MAXX very tempting.
Since the announcement, prices of HD's have shot up on the used market.

If you want to do it, do it soon. There is no doubt that Google will patch this.

It's still a bit of a gamble IMO. Unlocking the bootloader is only 50% of the game. Now you need binaries and other proprietary files to make any ROM run perfectly. You are also gambling on that devs will actually develop for it. I don't think we've heard a peep from CM since this has happened.

If you want to do it, do it soon. There is no doubt that Google will patch this.

It's still a bit of a gamble IMO. Unlocking the bootloader is only 50% of the game. Now you need binaries and other proprietary files to make any ROM run perfectly. You are also gambling on that devs will actually develop for it. I don't think we've heard a peep from CM since this has happened.

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's a bit late for this to mean anything. If this had happened when the Razr/Atrix HD first came out, then I'm sure devs would have hopped onto it since they're actually really good phones. But 8+ months after they launch is a bit too late to mean much unfortunately. I'm sure there will be a couple decent ROMs/kernels for it, but I wouldn't expect much selection.

It's always nice to stick it to Verizon though :cool:.

Yeah, saw the price hikes. I won't get a RAZR. I'll keep my GNex. I simply said it was tempting. CM may or may not do an official but since you can pull the binaries from the phone a fully working unofficial CM/AOSP ROM is certainly not out of the question.

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's a bit late for this to mean anything. If this had happened when the Razr/Atrix HD first came out, then I'm sure devs would have hopped onto it since they're actually really good phones. But 8+ months after they launch is a bit too late to mean much unfortunately. I'm sure there will be a couple decent ROMs/kernels for it, but I wouldn't expect much selection.

It's always nice to stick it to Verizon though :cool:.

Yeah, sticking it to Verizon is always a good thing.

With newer phones coming out and pushing last gen's quad core phones with 2gb of ram etc to lower prices, why would anyone want to even consider a mediocre Motorola phone that has recently only have the BL unlocked with an unquestionable long support in the long run for custom ROMs etc.

Why go through this much trouble on crappy phones when you can buy better ones that are very easily rootable?

Back