Motorola Atrix or HTC Inspire?

I'm due for an upgrade on my AT&T plan soon, and I've decided to leave the iPhone line behind in favor of android. Im trying to decide between the Motorola Atrix, with it's beastly speed but persistent MotoBlur (which I've heard prevents gingerbread from being put on the phone) and the HTC Inspire, which is more open to customization but lacking in comparison to the Atrix's and even some of my dying 3GS' hardware.

In terms of usage, I'm big on customization but not necessarily an app/widget freak, and tend to do a lot of Internet browsing. I also want to do some android software development in the near future (which I recognize is easier said than done). I'm hoping someone more familiar with the android market can provide me with some further insight, if they would be so kind. :p

You definitely want the Samsung Inspire here.
The Moto Atrix is REALLY lacking in comparison when it comes to dev support.

That and after you OC the Inspire, you won't even notice the lack of a dual-core.

Edit:
I mean look at the sheer number of ROMs... http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1018
:eek:

Samsung Inspire huh..

So I do support for AT&T currently so I have 1st hand experience with both. I Would get the HTC Inspire or the Samsung Infuse.. The infuse will cost you about 100 more then the other 2, but its a bit prettier with the typical Samsung screen that is oh so sexy..
Inspire vs Infuse
Atrix vs Infuse

And this is coming from someone who is historically a HTC guy, but recently got burnt (bad chip on my mytouch 4g) so sold 2 HTC's & replaced one with a Samsung Vibrant & the other with a Motorola Defy

I would agree with both guys above. Any phone that's not a Motorola right now is pretty good, IMO. But I'm a root/ROM guy. Hardware isn't everything; Moto is pretty much the slowest manufacturer to update their phones (though not by much), they have the crappiest skin/UI (even though they said it's dead now, it still exists without the name "Motoblur" attached to it) and they're the only manufacturer that encrypts their bootloader now so you can't put a vanilla/AOSP Android ROM on their phones to get rid of all that crap.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm seriously considering the Infuse alongside the Inspire, the lack of support and custom roms has more or less turned me off for good from the atrix. Glad I came here, because that was what I was leaning towards in the first place.

I agree to avoid any Motorola that you cant get rid of blur on.. My Current defy I got because I like the smaller phone & the ruggedness of it. But my favorite little game (bubble blast 2) wasn't even playable with blur. Everything lagged like a mother fucker & just an overall not quite great experience. Knowing that this thing has an 800 Mhz cpu I knew there shouldn't be a problem with its performance. The g2 is one of the fastest phones I have used & it still only has an 800 Mhz as well. And when I got to play with an atrix & its dual core goodness was considerable slower then my rooted mytouch 4g it all leads to motoblur being flat ass SLOW..
Now that I have gotten rid of blur on my defy its every bit as fast as the g2 or my rooted mytouch.

I also do work for AT&T, and I had the Atrix as my personal and the Inspire as my work. The quality of the Inspire is quite a bit better than the Atrix, plus you have more options in the dev community. I sold my Atrix and now I have the Infuse, and it already has quite a few ROM options.

If you can spend the extra $100 id get the infuse over the other 2.

If you are due for an upgrade soon, I STRONGLY recommend you hold off for a dual core offering from ATT.

If you are due for an upgrade soon, I STRONGLY recommend you hold off for a dual core offering from ATT.

I'm due for an upgrade at this moment, and I am quite anxious to replace my dying/dysfunctional 3GS. I've heard that the Infuse's processor is fast enough (more so when overclocked) to make the single-core negligible. I don't know if there's a release date for when the Galaxy S2 comes to AT&T, but if it's reasonable I may hold out for that. If anyone has any idea when that is that'd be cool.

I have read nothing but great things about the Infuse 4G, it uses the newer Super AMOLED + screen, and is razor thin, and lightweight. If I was on ATT that would be my #1 phone choice.

As an owner of an Atrix 4G I highly recommend you go with the Infuse/intrigue. As others have said Moto Blur is garbage and with the Locked bootloader customization is extremely limited. Then there's the lousy support from Motorola. They've completely neglected this Atrix so far. I liked the phone at first but since then the reality of the situation has settled in.

As an owner of an Atrix 4G I highly recommend you go with the Infuse/intrigue. As others have said Moto Blur is garbage and with the Locked bootloader customization is extremely limited. Then there's the lousy support from Motorola. They've completely neglected this Atrix so far. I liked the phone at first but since then the reality of the situation has settled in.

I'd agree with that. It's a great and fast phone in itself, I use it all day heavily with apps like autocad and the like, and battery life is great. BUT motorola butchered it with blur & support is abysmal to non-existent...

I think they figured out the perfect way to kill their own flagship product in record time.

However gingerbread w/ sideloading is coming in July...

They were also saying the next upgrade would (finally) enable 1080p playback months ago... still waiting...

I'll agree they more or less have to issue the Gingerbread upgrade... I'm just very disappointed with what motorola did with this phone, because as I said, in itself it is one of the BEST & FASTEST phones I've used.

Inspire. Sense is much better than Motoblur. Motorola should just get rid of Blur and just run Vanilla on all of their phones. But I would wait for a dual core phone to come out.

After my experience with the essentially non-existent warranty on a supposedly mil-spec Motorola Tundra I wouldn't even think of owning another Motorola.

I own two Yaesu amateur radios. Yaesu was bought out by Motorola. If an when I need another Radio it will be an Icom or some other brand beside Yaesu/Motorola.

I would take the ATRIX any day over the inspire, i've had the best call quality, reception. I don't care about custom roms. If you want a phone that last 5 hrs on battery then look no further than the inspire.

After owning the Inspire, Atrix and now the Infuse, I think you're exaggerating more than just a little. I could easily get 16-18 hours of heavy use out of my Inspire, plus the build quality is top notch.

There's also a reason the Atrix is getting replaced within the next month or so.

After owning the Inspire, Atrix and now the Infuse, I think you're exaggerating more than just a little. I could easily get 16-18 hours of heavy use out of my Inspire, plus the build quality is top notch.

There's also a reason the Atrix is getting replaced within the next month or so.

How do you like the Infuse ? Is the screen is awesome as I hear ?

I really like the infuse, actually. I thought I was going to hate it, but I just wanted a change from the Inspire I currently had. I love the screen, and because of how thin it is, it doesn't feel as big as an EVO/Inspire/Desire HD. I just wish there was more development, but that should be coming in the next few weeks since Samsung finally put out Gingerbread source code for the rom and the kernel.

Keep in mind, I hated the Galaxy S when they first came out. Sprint gave me an Epic a few months in advance to test, and I got rid of it ASAP for an EVO. But if the Infuse is any indication, I'll be getting the GSII when it comes out in the US.

o_O I'd say this is one of the worst phones for ROMs, but the dev support for it should explode within the next few weeks. Right now there's 2 roms worth flashing, and one kernel. GB 2.3.5 source was just released though, so there are more than a few devs working on CM7, TW4 and AOSP ports.

I've had an Inspire and a Charge (same specs as Infuse minus the larger screen). The Inspire was a much better phone overall and felt much faster with custom kernels and ROMs. Data speeds are obviously much faster on LTE vs. AT&T 4G, but that's a different story.

I think with an unlocked bootloader the Atrix will be a much better phone, but I was happy with the Inspire. Personally, I would wait for the AT&T version of the Sensation if one comes out.

Getting an Inspire in a few days, chosen over the Atrix.

IMHO -
No comparison: Blur < Sense.
Build quality the Inspire is a lot better as well.
Text is also a hair smaller on the Atrix since it's running at a slightly higher res.
Better camera on the Inspire. (8mp vs 5mp)

Sure the Atrix has a dual core, it also supposedly gets hotter on the back because of it. I just don't really see the usefulness of a dual core processor on a mobile phone, sorry. :eek: Very few things actually support it right now. Maybe down the road...I just don't see the great use right now.

If I had more $$$ and could wait I'd get the S2 (when it finally comes out). The Infuse has a beautiful screen....just couldn't justify the higher cost over the Inspire though. I want a fairly killer phone, but spending 4x the cost on the Infuse just wasn't worth it for me. (Refurb Inspires and Atrix's are available on their site for $49 w/contract...couldn't pass that up.)

Dogfight between the Infuse and Atrix:
http://youtu.be/bf_w_BC-I68 part 1
http://youtu.be/DF6kKc9zcYM part 2

I'm going to see "how bad" the audio supposedly is on the Inspire....there are plenty of roms (including a rooted de-bloated stock rom) with audio fixes in them.

Last edited:
LauncherPro is better than Sense and Motoblur, so don't let that stop you. CM7 is about to be released for the Atrix, and already there are a number of other ROMS popping up now that the bootloader has been unlocked. I chose the Atrix over the Inspire back when it first came out and I haven't regretted it yet.

Sure the Atrix has a dual core, it also supposedly gets hotter on the back because of it. I just don't really see the usefulness of a dual core processor on a mobile phone, sorry. :eek:

Dual core phones are just like desktops & laptops. I would suggest you don't try a dual core phone cause then you'll see how much more & better it can do things. :rolleyes:

The only time I would say my Atrix gets hot is when it is in live GPS mode with Google Navigate, otherwise I don't feel it hot. And that has to do with more than the CPU.

Dual core phones are just like desktops & laptops. I would suggest you don't try a dual core phone cause then you'll see how much more & better it can do things. :rolleyes:

When the apps support dual core phones, they'll be viable. I've played around with an Atrix; I didn't like it. Blur made the phone feel sluggish, compared to the Inspire and the Infuse.

You can rave about having a dual core phone all you want to. I've yet to see more than a few apps (primarily quadrant or benchmark type stuff) where it's shown that the phone actually uses both cores. You can multitask and load dozens of apps on single core phones as well. :rolleyes:

Back