Motorcycle Helmet Sale

Lord knows there's some forum frequenters who could use a helmet full-time! :D

There are a number of them that are Snell or other industry standard plus.

e.g.

exo-400 "SNELL / DOT rated"

Icon SSR

" World Standard Helmet meets or exceeds multi-national safety & testing standards, (DOT FMVSS 218, ECE 22-05, SAI AS1698 & Japanese SG Safety Standards"

AFX FX-37

"This helmet model meets or exceeds both ECE 22.05 and DOT FMVSS-218 motorcycle helmet safety standards. "

I had a dream last night. And in that dream, I was wearing a helmet while I was driving in my car...

Snell overrated or not, it is still a requirement at a lot of tracks/events around the world. And its not just motorcycles either, SCCA Solo requires a non-expired Snell M helmet at the minimum (I believe its M2000, but I'm not sure, its been a while since I purchased a helmet). Obviously taking an automobile to a circuit will require an SA rated helmet. A lot of retailers have clearances on helmets when a new Snell designation come out, most likely those helmets are M2005 which are being cleared for M2010. Even though they are on sale, you can only use them for 5 less years than the newer models, again, it really depends what you plan on doing with them. But remember guys, do you really want a cheap helmet protecting your head? For the autocross guys, it may not matter much since accidents are very rare but for people on bikes, I'd say a $400+ helmet is well spent.

But anywho, many of those helmets on that site are Snell approved, it just doesn't say so in the item description so you are gonna have to check the manufactuers site/check in-store. You should also know if its a proper fitting helmet before you buy too.

But remember guys, do you really want a cheap helmet protecting your head? For the autocross guys, it may not matter much since accidents are very rare but for people on bikes, I'd say a $400+ helmet is well spent.

There's no proof that a $400 Snell/Dot rated helmet is going to protect your head any better than a $100 Snell/Dot rated helmet. The extra cost is buying you features, comfort, and a brand name.

There's no proof that a $400 Snell/Dot rated helmet is going to protect your head any better than a $100 Snell/Dot rated helmet. The extra cost is buying you features, comfort, and a brand name.

+1 My understanding is that each price category has good helmets and "bad" helmets as far as protection goes. A $130 helmet can certainly protect better than a $400 one. Also, consider fit. A well-fitting cheaper helmet is better than an ill-fitting expensive one...

Sorry hot deals not found.

These are pretty much regular prices.

Thanks OP. This got me looking at getting a new helmet. I think that the "sale" refers only to their pricing; their "Lowest Price Guarantee" irritates me because they're clearly not shopping their competition, and I’m sure they’re hoping you’re not either. Case-in-point: Skid-Lid advertised by them is $35.99. Jafrum's has them at $32.99...

My issue is I can never find a helmet in XXXL to fit my huge head... XXL is alittle snug and gives me headaches.

I have the Gmax 48S. I like it pretty well. I'm sure it's not as quiet as some of the uber ones but for $80 you get a good if not excellent helmet, both clear and tinted shields, and a helmet bag. Most helmets want another $15-30 for a tinted shield, so that alone makes this helmet a great buy.

My issue is I can never find a helmet in XXXL to fit my huge head... XXL is alittle snug and gives me headaches.

It has to be pretty tight to be effective. If you can move your ahead inside the helmet, you're doing it wrong.

Good way to check is to move the helmet while on your head, if its not pulling on your skin, its too large.

I have the Gmax 48S. I like it pretty well. I'm sure it's not as quiet as some of the uber ones but for $80 you get a good if not excellent helmet, both clear and tinted shields, and a helmet bag. Most helmets want another $15-30 for a tinted shield, so that alone makes this helmet a great buy.

I have Bell Star and its one of the loudest helmets I've ever owned :(

google "sharp gov" if you're going to purchase a new helmet. Thats all I have to say.

Ok, I will elaborate.. Though, i've learned through experience when it comes to bikes some people just wont learn.

In front of me right now I have 2 helmets. KBC Force RR (DOT/Snell), and a Shark RSX(DOT/ECE). Coincidentally one is a 100$~ helmet, and the other is a 400$~ helmet.

If you look up the website in my last post, which is a UK government operated website, you will see a saftey rating on the KBC helmet of 1 star, while the Shark has 5 stars.

There is your proof.

Take into consideration how much more concern the UK has in motorcycle saftey than the US.

Weather you look at site and write it off, or trust it's ratings is completely upto you. It's your head.

^^ I gotta agree.

Just because the helmet meets a certain standard does not make it equal to another helmet. I've seen what happens to cheaper stuff in a crash (disentigrate) and to high quality stuff (Shoei, Arai, Shark, etc)... Night and day difference.

I'd rather spend extra to protect my head, besides you can find these great helmets on closeouts for 200-300 dollars.

google "sharp gov" if you're going to purchase a new helmet. Thats all I have to say.
Thanks for posting, that site is great. I'll definitely refer to it with any helmet purchase from now on.

It has to be pretty tight to be effective. If you can move your ahead inside the helmet, you're doing it wrong.

Good way to check is to move the helmet while on your head, if its not pulling on your skin, its too large.

yeah I know :) XXL will fit but it's too snug and actually causes headaches pretty quickly..

I found a XXXL once at a shop and tried it on fit perfect but I couldn't spend the $350 on it at the time plus I only need this for ATV/offroad riding and that one was more for street bikes and was all nicely painted.

I have Bell Star and its one of the loudest helmets I've ever owned :(

Well shit. I just bought one and it's in the mail. Guess I'll have to give it a shot and if it's louder than the Scorpion EXO-700 it's replacing I'll Ebay/Craigslist it and get two new Scorpions :D

Anyone else have this problem? I sorta addicted to modular helmets with an internal sun shade which limits my choices. I have an oval head and most of these kinds of helmets are neutral round to round internally which limits them even more. It's eggheadism and isn't fair.

Back