Moto Z2 Force pre-orders now open, get the projector free thru Oct 6th 2017

D

Deleted member 245375

I knew about this phone coming out but didn't realize it was $799.99 retail, ouch, double triple ouch, but I suppose Motorola (meaning Lenovo) are considerate enough to realize that's a chunk of funding for most people that would literally hurt them big time so, for those folks that want the Moto Z2 Force and pre-order it they're throwing in the insta-share projector mod (retail price $299.99) for free so I suppose that's something to consider for some folks.

Along with the newer phone they apparently have a bunch of new Moto mods coming too, including one that turns the Moto mod-compatible devices into something like the Nintendo Switch or whatever, it's kinda funky but for those people that play games with their smartphones (I'm not one of those people) I suppose it's cool, looks like this when it's all put together:

moto_gamepad.jpg

and of course a bunch of other mods you can look into (the moto gamepad is not available yet, sometime in the near future supposedly). More mods can be seen here:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods

I think, like it has in the past, the pricing on the mods is going to ruin it for Motorola once again. The only one that seems worth the money is the JBL speaker one, perhaps the Incipio battery one as well but, when you look at the Hasselblad camera mod (not that great, really, and it gets terrible reviews and it's a Hasselblad camera, for Pete's sake) and the Moto 360 Camera and see that pricing it's just like "Oh fuck you, no way, the hell with that for that little amount of hardware, forget it..." and that's that.

The original Motorola Atrix smartphone was awesome, very powerful and fast and with a fingerprint reader too and I loved it to death but, Motorola was asking me and others for $499.99 for the Atrix lapdock which was:

- a plastic shell
- an LCD display panel
- a keyboard
- a battery
- a docking connector for the Atrix itself (mini-HDMI and microUSB plugs)

and that was it. $500 for a damned screen and battery, it was not a computing device, not even a dumb terminal type thing, the only circuitry in it was for displaying the the mini-HDMI output of the phone to the LCD panel and reading the keyboard input and providing power for the Atrix itself.

My god, what the hell are some of these companies thinking with such insanely fucking crazy pricing for nothing really at all, I swear they need to have something checked or whatever in their skulls.

Anyway, the Moto Z2 Force is coming, and that deal with the free projector isn't bad so, if you're interested, have a look-out for it. The email I just got about it said this in the fine print at the bottom:

The fine print at the bottom of the email said:
* Offer valid through 10:59 p.m. CT on 10/6/17 or while supplies last. Discount applied at checkout when both moto z² and moto insta-share projector ($299.99 value) are added to your cart. Cannot be combined with any other promotions or offers. Offer does not apply to 1st generation moto z.

I looked up the Z2 on T-Mobile. They have a buy one get one free promotion which ain't bad. I'm concerned about the battery life, however, and will await some reviews before making a purchase decision.

I was really looking forward to this phone and was so pissed when I saw how badly they neutered the battery from the previous Z Force or compared any other flagship (Android) phone in its price range. I was so annoyed that I actually responded to their Twitter announcement for the phone and I hate using Twitter:

My wife has a Z Play and it has been an awesome phone so far, so I was considering picking up the Z2 Play so we can share mods and stuff. But that battery is retarded and I'm not one to usually care about battery size much, but I think it should be 3000 mAh minimum for a flagship phone like that. The lack of headphone jack is annoying too considering they have one on the Z2 Play still and that's an even thinner phone I think, so they can't say it's due to lack of space.

No way I'm paying anywhere near $800 for it and a mod that I have no interest in using either. Maybe if I got the choice of getting $300 worth of other mods I would consider it, but some overpriced weaksauce projector mod (unless they've improved it significantly from last year's projector mod) is not enticing me whatsoever.

Last edited:
I fail to see how Moto can even try to claim all day battery life with a 2750mAh battery. :confused:

I fail to see how Moto can even try to claim all day battery life with a 2750mAh battery. :confused:

The Snapdragon 835 has shown itself to be one damned efficient SoC so far (even with the cut to 4 cores from the recent trends of 8 cores on everything), even with it just being available for the Galaxy S8/S8+ because of Samsung's lock-in with Qualcomm to be the first to market with it. I think people are getting way WAY too fucking hung up on the numbers of a battery's capacity in terms of the mAh ratings, and I suspect this phone will do just fine in an "all day usage" situation but I still offer the same advice: if you're one of those people that keeps the display on max brightness all the fucking time then get ready to suffer for it because that's where all your damned battery is going and with an OLED panel of any kind (as there are several variations of that technology nowadays) burn-in becomes a real thing to be considered.

Amazes me how many people just crank that brightness up and never ever turn it down or even bother to use automagic brightness settings (even when they suck and are too bright or too low and never quite right) and then bother to complain about battery life to any degrees whatsoever, I mean come on. :D

Adaptive brightness is your friend. (y)

Still, Il'll need to see some real world test results before I believe this battery + a super, abracadabra, mega-efficient CPU will deliver on Moto's claims.

I agree with Tiberian that I see a lot of people getting too hung up on battery capacity numbers, but even if this phone somehow does manage to last all day with moderate usage, it's not competitive with other phones in its price range at all.. or hell even any mid-range phones with even more power efficient SoCs like their own Z/Z2 Play. That alone is damning enough for me; I shouldn't be coerced into getting a battery mod like that to get good battery life. The phone should already have decent battery life to begin with and let us use the mods on occasions when we're going to be away from power for a long time. But I can almost guarantee this phone is damned to get mediocre (at best) battery life with that battery considering the GS8 and HTC U11 both are just adequate with the same SoC and 3,000 mAh batteries and similar displays.

Edit: Aaaand here's Android Police's article that pretty much elaborates on my conclusion above that the cut in battery capacity is purely a business decision to sell more mods.

Last edited:
This phone is way too expensive. I don't see any point to purchasing this over the S8 or U11, or heck the Essential phone. Still waiting official release of the Nokia flagship. OnePlus 5 is sort of disappointing.

Moto Z Play for the wife and I as of last month. Absolutely no worries about a dead phone battery with 10+hours Screen time over 2 days. Best Purchase Ever!

I was really looking forward to this phone and was so pissed when I saw how badly they neutered the battery from the previous Z Force or compared any other flagship (Android) phone in its price range. I was so annoyed that I actually responded to their Twitter announcement for the phone and I hate using Twitter <snip>.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Motorola doesn't take you seriously when your twitter account is @sugonmaballs

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Motorola doesn't take you seriously when your twitter account is @sugonmaballs

It's a name that commands respect. :p

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Motorola doesn't take anyone seriously on Twitter though.

With the way Lenovarola has acted in the last 12-18 months I won't buy anything from them again.
If you have any questions about anything ever "It is Motorola/Lenovo's policy not to comment on [insert anything]"

Back