Moto Xoom 32GB WiFi - $499 Free Ship MacMall Ebay Store

It seems a bit ironic that a seller named "macmall" is selling an iPad competitor. :D

macmall started out as "Creative Computers"

one of the best Amiga stores to ever grace the USA.

bought my A500

Apparently its the "Worlds first Android tablet!"

The price is not bad though.

I ordered an Asus Transformer (should be coming in today or tomorrow) and have done some reading and asking around about the Moto as well.

Reason I went with Asus is due to the MicroSD slot in the tablet and SD slot in the docking keyboard as well as USB. Something the Xoom either doesn't have or not fully implemented yet.

Plus the keyboard has an additional battery bumping battery life to 13+ hours, which is great for my trans-pacific / trans-atlantic flights for work.

Just wanted to drop some Tegra 2 hate in here. It won't play x264 High Profile 720p/1080p video. The Tegra2 hardware can't handle it. If like me you have multiple terabytes of high profile 720p rips it's a deal breaker. Caveat Emptor. I regret my Tegra 2-based purchase constantly.

Is it a speed issue (will play but slow / stutter)? Or a technical issue (not compatible / won't play at all)?

Have you tried OC'ing it? I've seen some forum posts with guys runnin 1.2, 1.4 and even 1.6ghz.

If you have a brandname Tegra tablet, you should still be able to flip it if it's in reasonable shape. Reason I got the Asus was that 1) Amazon had it for retail price (no way was I going to pay OVER retail) and 2) if I don't like it after a day or two, I can flip it for retail or maybe even slightly more, no problem.

Hell, even the docking unit I bought for retail, sells for over-retail due to the still limited supply.

Personally, I just got a Nook Color until a next gen Tegra 3 or something hits with Ice Cream Sandwich. I kind of like the 7" size better also.

Just wanted to drop some Tegra 2 hate in here. It won't play x264 High Profile 720p/1080p video. The Tegra2 hardware can't handle it. If like me you have multiple terabytes of high profile 720p rips it's a deal breaker. Caveat Emptor. I regret my Tegra 2-based purchase constantly.

That's why I returned my Xoom.

Is it a speed issue (will play but slow / stutter)? Or a technical issue (not compatible / won't play at all)?

Have you tried OC'ing it? I've seen some forum posts with guys runnin 1.2, 1.4 and even 1.6ghz.

If you have a brandname Tegra tablet, you should still be able to flip it if it's in reasonable shape. Reason I got the Asus was that 1) Amazon had it for retail price (no way was I going to pay OVER retail) and 2) if I don't like it after a day or two, I can flip it for retail or maybe even slightly more, no problem.

Hell, even the docking unit I bought for retail, sells for over-retail due to the still limited supply.
It'll play if the player app has a software decode mode...but it'll look like it was software decoded with a dual core 1GHz (or 1.4 or 1.6) ARM processor, which is to say a slide show. Tegra 2's integrated GPU can't do the 720p(+) high profile x264 decoding at the hardware level. Nvidia will tell you it supports Android's 264 specifications...which only mention baseline and main profiles. It's been treated as a don't ask - don't tell issue by many, but anandtech has mentioned it a few times in their Tegra 2/3 articles.

I just want people to be aware that Tegra 2 based devices cannot play a lot of 720p content (like HD scene releases) before they buy one and get told "There'll be a driver fix for that" by support until the return window closes.

Note that if you re-encode them to baseline profile, they work great. IT does take up time though.

Back