Moto X - "The first smartphone that you can design yourself."

Yeah, it was but they never really took advantage of the darks. This seems like they're actually embracing the technology for more than just stupidly vivid colors (which I'm not a fan of.)

I watched that video too and it got me excited. Obviously the Note 3 is going to tear this a new one in any performance metric, including battery life, but I don't really want that from my phone anymore, plus it's too big. I'm actually excited for a phone that's slimmer and easier to hold than my Galaxy Nexus and if it hits the battery marks some people are claiming (the guy from Venturebeat said he was using it intermittently for 18 hours and it was at 70%), I'll be on board.

I basically use my smartphone like a PDA with much better web browsing. The stuff I'd use the S800 horsepower for is likely stuff I'd reserve for my tablet.

i used to split things up between my tablet and phone but it ended up becoming just my phone, which is why im looking forward to the phablets this year. The next thing im looking to do is split my phones so I can have a work number phone.

Thanks for the video review link Trombe, that was pretty good.

Marques sums it up pretty well. Nobody cares about geeks because we are the vast minority. This phone has the chance to be a huge hit with the average consumers because it offers some pretty unique features and its FAST. Now, if you can customize it right in a ATT or Verizon store, I think it will be hard for may people to pass up, especially with that wood backing.

What's everyone's thoughts on the dual antennas and will that boost reception or just make it harder to lose 4g or whatnot? And also do the droid ultra/mini/maxx share this dual antenna? Have not seen any mention of it but figured it might since there is so much in common between the phones. Mainly thinking about picking up one of the droids or the moto x for Verizon.

Dual attennas increase the bands the phone can be on, doesnt mean it can get better reception necessarily.

What's everyone's thoughts on the dual antennas and will that boost reception or just make it harder to lose 4g or whatnot? And also do the droid ultra/mini/maxx share this dual antenna? Have not seen any mention of it but figured it might since there is so much in common between the phones. Mainly thinking about picking up one of the droids or the moto x for Verizon.

Without knowing how they're implemented, it's hard to tell what the result could be. Could be antenna diversity to prevent the grip of death. Could be multiplexed to increase bandwidth. Could be tuned differently to allow connections on different bands. Could just be a bandaid for simultaneous voice and data. The devil's in the details.

Good review. The only think I would really complain about is the 720p resolution. Need 1080p for media. I think that the always-listening capabilities positiveness outweighs the negativeness of it though. Motorola also needs to take a lesson from the HTC playbook about cameras, being that both HTC and Motorola have histories of lesser cameras compared to Apple, Nokia, and Samsung.

Engadget also just released their review too:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/motorola-moto-x-review

The wrap up refers to "Carrier bloatware" but I didn't see anything in the text about this. Is this just the standard stupid, non uninstallable apps like verizon backup? Or is he calling the Motorola voice features bloatware? I'd be surprised if they were going to release this super bloaty.

Good review. The only think I would really complain about is the 720p resolution. Need 1080p for media. I think that the always-listening capabilities positiveness outweighs the negativeness of it though. Motorola also needs to take a lesson from the HTC playbook about cameras, being that both HTC and Motorola have histories of lesser cameras compared to Apple, Nokia, and Samsung.

Engadget also just released their review too:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/motorola-moto-x-review

Moto said they deliberately avoided 1080p so they could have better performance and battery life with their phone. I can totally understand that decision and I think it was the right one for the mass market. I really don't think most people would appreciate the difference between 720p and 1080p more than they would having better performance (esp. in games) or battery life. But I'm not sure what kept them from having the best of both worlds and putting the monster 3500 mAh battery in it like the Maxx. That would have definitely put this phone over the top for a lot of people.

The only thing that may keep me from getting this for my wife is the camera. I was hoping Moto would finally have a nice shooter in their phone this time, but it seems they're still a bit behind Samsung and Apple in that department. I haven't seen any direct comparisons between it and the One yet, but I'm assuming the One would be slightly better still. I saw Pocketnow do a camera comparison with the GE One and they were pretty similar, but I know Sense adds a lot more camera IQ and features to the phone.

The wrap up refers to "Carrier bloatware" but I didn't see anything in the text about this. Is this just the standard stupid, non uninstallable apps like verizon backup? Or is he calling the Motorola voice features bloatware? I'd be surprised if they were going to release this super bloaty.

They're just talking about carrier specific bloatware, not the Moto features/apps. I don't see what's keeping OEMs from standing up to carriers about this crap now. The carriers need them more than they need the carriers, IMO. If they want people to start taking these phones more seriously and directly compare them to the iPhone, then they need to do what they can in order to keep this crap off of their phones like Apple does.

at $350 retail, I COULD see it becoming a success, but I don't think it will be less than $499 retail

At 450 this phone could be big, at 400 it will be big, 350 it would be sold out every where.

That article says the carrier is paying $350, that has nothing to do with MSRP.
Since carriers sell the phones at MSRP to off contract customers, I doubt they will be charging $600 for this phone if the $350 figure is true.

Something tells me that the 16 gb version of this phone will come in right around $400

Since carriers sell the phones at MSRP to off contract customers, I doubt they will be charging $600 for this phone if the $350 figure is true.
Someone with faith in carriers? Isn't that adorable! Almost like they hadn't been screwing their customers on off-contract prices for the past decade...

For the record, I don't see a division bleeding hundreds of millions in red ink every quarter knifing their carrier-partners in the back by undercutting their off-contract rate by hundreds of dollars. That kind of thing isn't good for already-strained business relationships.

There is no hard relationship between the contract price and retail price of a phone however. For instance compare the contract price and retails prices of the Lumia 1020, HTC One, Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5, the subsidy each receives is quite different. In the case of the 1020 and S4 for example the latter receives a nearly $100 larger subsidy.

I could see the trade off with less carrier branding and influence on the Moto X being lower subsidies for the phone itself. It is also a device with less perceived demand than the Galaxy S and iPhone and so would receive a lower subsidy as well, both are the most popular brands and also on average receive the largest subsidies from carriers.

Quad cores? Who needs quadcores?

And samsung is bad, and HTC is bad, they don't know how to make screens... and and...

Yeah... that doesn't make me like the moto x any better. It's more like saying "well, we screwed up" to me.:eek:
He sounded like he had some pretty solid reasons for the design choices behind the X to me. Higher specs != more value, EXPERIENCE does. Just ask Apple - they are very secretive about what hardware they put in their phones for a reason, to avoid e-peen battles such as the one revolving around this phone.

He sounded like he had some pretty solid reasons for the design choices behind the X to me. Higher specs != more value, EXPERIENCE does. Just ask Apple - they are very secretive about what hardware they put in their phones for a reason, to avoid e-peen battles such as the one revolving around this phone.

Apple lives on their own island though. Android phones can be compared directly against each other based on specs and performance. Unless the Moto X sells for less than competing hardware with higher specs, it is going to have trouble. Even Motorola said the phone should perform the same as a squad core phone 90% of the time. That means the other 10% of the time you should have bought a S4.

People don't give a shit about using voice commands in their phone. Even hardcore Apple fanboys don't brag about Siri which can be set to operate by just lifting the phone.

Last edited:
Apple lives on their own island though. Android phones can be compared directly against each other based on specs and performance. Unless the Moto X sells for less than competing hardware with higher specs, it is going to have trouble. Even Motorola said the phone should perform the same as a squad core phone 90% of the time. That means the other 10% of the time you should have bought a S4.

People don't give a shit about using voice commands in their phone. Even hardcore Apple fanboys don't brag about Siri which can be set to operate by just lifting the phone.
Because of competition, OEM's differentiate their phones by layering their own software on top of Android. The more software they layer, the higher spec'd phone they need to create a good experience. See how the two are connected?

The purpose of the Moto X is not to have layer'd software on top in the form of a skin or gimmicky features like the S4 but to have hardware specifically designed for the new features they implement that doesn't compromise battery life or any of the other usual suspects when it comes to comparing experiences on phones.

Apple fan boi's don't really talk about Siri because it's not up to par. When people think of voice commands, they think of Star Trek style interaction, not what we have today. While I don't think the new X will be the end all be all of voice commands, I do think it will be a step in the right direction.

Ill wait for anands review, usually takes about a week. Their reviews are almost purely opinion on their experience with the phone.

Because of competition, OEM's differentiate their phones by layering their own software on top of Android. The more software they layer, the higher spec'd phone they need to create a good experience. See how the two are connected?

The purpose of the Moto X is not to have layer'd software on top in the form of a skin or gimmicky features like the S4 but to have hardware specifically designed for the new features they implement that doesn't compromise battery life or any of the other usual suspects when it comes to comparing experiences on phones.

The voice stuff IS a gimmicky feature and early testing has not revealed the Moto X to be the battery life champion of the smartphone world either. If their whole marketing strategy is going to be "the battery last longer when the phone is in your pocket doing nothing" then they are in trouble.

Android has been making the push on the smartphone market with big phones and ever increasing specs OR low prices. If prices are the same and the X is next to the S4, what compelling reason would someone have to get the X?

MKBHD just did a nice review on the Moto X.

This isn't making making things easier for me to decide which phone to get in a few weeks for my wife. The camera might be a deal breaker though as she's coming up in photography (just got her a D600 with and glass to go with it), so she's going to be picky on the camera.

This isn't making making things easier for me to decide which phone to get in a few weeks for my wife. The camera might be a deal breaker though as she's coming up in photography (just got her a D600 with and glass to go with it), so she's going to be picky on the camera.

If she's keen on a good camera phone, she may not want to spend much time in Android land. The Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5 tend to be more consistent performers on that front. Curious as to how the G2 turns out, though.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want the X or the Maxx. Don't care about cameras. 48 hour battery is enticing but I'm afraid of what Verizon is going to do to it.

Time will tell...

Very First Time to Post.

So with the new model MOTO-X, one can redesign or DIY its shapes, other functionalities embeded in the phone?

Very First Time to Post.

So with the new model MOTO-X, one can redesign or DIY its shapes, other functionalities embeded in the phone?
Just colors and storage space. I think you can add text to the back and the boot screen as well. That's it.

Dang that is a very impressive review. Was looking at the droid mini but am honestly liking the moto x more. Like I posted earlier the dual antennas is also very interesting, as reception is very important as I am outside of town quite a bit be it hunting or fishing. This might be my replacement to my shitty incredible 2 haha.

Dang that is a very impressive review. Was looking at the droid mini but am honestly liking the moto x more. Like I posted earlier the dual antennas is also very interesting, as reception is very important as I am outside of town quite a bit be it hunting or fishing. This might be my replacement to my shitty incredible 2 haha.
When compared to the Droid Mini, this phone wins hands down. The Mini doesn't even have a AMOLED screen - just TFT LCD.

AoVANfK.jpg

Look in the top left, this is my number one annoyance with AT&T. Their logo has absolutely no business cluttering my status bar. It's pathetic.

If she's keen on a good camera phone, she may not want to spend much time in Android land. The Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5 tend to be more consistent performers on that front. Curious as to how the G2 turns out, though.

1020 isn't an option on Verizon. The 928 is, but I really don't think she would like WP with its limited apps and functionality. If the 928 had Android on it, it would be perfect for her, I think. And I really don't want to give Apple my money and switch her to another platform, esp. when we've already invested a lot into the Play Store.

The G2 looks like a disaster to me; horrible UI and bogus features that try way too hard to be like TouchWiz (knock on my phone to wake it up?! lol), weird button placement, and LG has a horrible track record of pushing updates to their phone. Both Optimus G phones in the US are still on 4.1.2.

wow that would piss me off

Yeah, and you'll prolly have to root the phone to get rid of it, which shouldn't be a big deal if it annoys you that bad. If Verizon's Moto X has that, then that will be super shitty, hah.

Just watched Marques Brownlee's review of the Moto X, and I had a couple of questions for anyone has started using the phone out in the wild already:

I'd read that the phone comes with dual 4G LTE antennas, if this is true how is the reception? My biggest gripe with my current phone is the crap reception.

Since the phone is a collaboration between Motorola and Google (and Google owns the former), will it be getting timely Android updates like the Nexus line and any stock Android phone? Apparently the Moto X is as close to stock as you can get without actually being stock, so I'm hoping so.

Just watched Marques Brownlee's review of the Moto X, and I had a couple of questions for anyone has started using the phone out in the wild already:

I'd read that the phone comes with dual 4G LTE antennas, if this is true how is the reception? My biggest gripe with my current phone is the crap reception.

Since the phone is a collaboration between Motorola and Google (and Google owns the former), will it be getting timely Android updates like the Nexus line and any stock Android phone? Apparently the Moto X is as close to stock as you can get without actually being stock, so I'm hoping so.

Google and Moto has made it pretty clear that the Moto dev team does not interact with the Android team in any way, shape, or form. Despite this, I think you can expect updates to be pretty timely. Some carriers may hold the updates back, however, due to testing.

As for the antennas - can't help you there as I haven't used the phone yet.

Back