Moto X - "The first smartphone that you can design yourself."

That is actually the only good news so far and could still save the phone.

This launch is so confusing though, not sure how I see this phone going ? Could be very successful or major Fail, not sure yet ?

- Only ATT gets the Moto Maker customizing first, then the other carriers get it months later :rolleyes: That's just a stupid decision to only allow one carrier the cool customizing part.

- Moto 'X' only sold in North America, not international :rolleyes:

- High end price for mid range last year specs :rolleyes:

- No SD/Card, no removable battery :rolleyes:

- Outdated screen tech, not just the 720p part, but 2012 type screen

- Not available on the Play Store at launch, but months later.

Retailers will also have the handset in stock, with Best Buy being mentioned so far. The full price for the device is not available at this time $575 or $625, depending on capacity chosen

That's crazy, why would you buy this for $600 off contract over the HTC One G.E. or S4 G.E. ? Or if you want on contract you can get the HTC One cheaper than $199, and then root it and flash the G.E. ROM.

I think the high price for this 'X' will be it's downfall. It should've been sold on the Play Store for like $299 unlocked, like a Nexus device. And on contract for like $99.

Last edited:
To answer your question, no one will. This phone has nothing going for it other then "feel" which is so damn subjective.

Spec wise the phone is fine, price wise the phone is DOOMED. But Moto does this a lot, price themselves out of competition.

There are still some really killer new Android phones due out this Fall, again I can't see buying this Moto 'X' over;

- Galaxy Note 3 on sale in October
- LG Nexus-Five on sale Oct / Nov
- Sony high end phone with Snapdragon 800, 1080p 5" screen, 3,000mAh battery
- HTC One+ due in December, Snapdragon 800, and larger battery

This could be the first botique style. martphone.
04.jpg

To me that is the only selling point of this phone. It is fresh and original to have those customizations available, the wood back is really neat.

But is that really enough, based on all the other shortcomings ?

I find it amusing that many shout "it should be $300 off-contract omg what a ripoff" -- yet some of those same people bend over backwards trying to claim that Apple is TEH DEVIL for having phones made in China to lower manufacturing costs (while conveniently ignoring that many of the devices they own are made in similar factories).

If you want your upper-mid-range smartphone to be made in the US, $300 off-contract isn't going to happen in the current climate. It just isn't. You're basing your expectations on Nexus phones manufactured overseas and sold either at cost or on razor-thin margins. Gotta accept reality at some point.

All of their quick looks paint the phones in a good light. Good thing hes using this as a daily driver, well get a good assesment.

I find it amusing that many shout "it should be $300 off-contract omg what a ripoff" -- yet some of those same people bend over backwards trying to claim that Apple is TEH DEVIL for having phones made in China to lower manufacturing costs (while conveniently ignoring that many of the devices they own are made in similar factories).

If you want your upper-mid-range smartphone to be made in the US, $300 off-contract isn't going to happen in the current climate. It just isn't. You're basing your expectations on Nexus phones manufactured overseas and sold either at cost or on razor-thin margins. Gotta accept reality at some point.

US manufacturing doesn't add anything close to $300 in costs.

Sony Xperia SP is nearly the same spec wise, (only 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, but doubling those doesn't exactly add much to manufacturing costs either) and goes for about $400 AFTER import shop markups. $575 unsubsidized is a huge markup for some software additions and "made in America" (really more like assembled in America using made in East Asian countries parts).

Sony Xperia SP is nearly the same spec wise, (only 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, but doubling those doesn't exactly add much to manufacturing costs either) and goes for about $400 AFTER import shop markups. $575 unsubsidized is a huge markup for some software additions and "made in America" (really more like assembled in America using made in East Asian countries parts).
Krait 300 vs Krait 200... Huge improvement especially in the graphics front. Once again, people need to stop treating this fact lightly. It's essentially Snapdragon S600 with two cores instead of 4, but Motorola added two additional low power cores to run audio and sensors/display/touch tasks.

Benchmarks also show that it's better than the higher clocked S600 in the GS4 in some cases. So it held its own.

Krait 300 vs Krait 200... Huge improvement especially in the graphics front. Once again, people need to stop treating this fact lightly. It's essentially Snapdragon S600 with two cores instead of 4, but Motorola added two additional low power cores to run audio and sensors/display/touch tasks.

Benchmarks also show that it's better than the higher clocked S600 in the GS4 in some cases. So it held its own.

Yup. This phone will actually have much better performance than the GS4 and One since it doesn't have to push near as many pixels at 720p. The display also still looks great since it's not Pentile. Now that I think about it, I think I would actually prefer a 720p display, esp. on a phone of that size, due to the better performance and power savings you'll get from it. If a phones display is over 300 PPI (Moto X is 316 PPI), that's great and any more than that is when you start seeing diminishing returns in IQ, IMO. Hell even at 267 PPI on my Note 2, I think the display on it is plenty sharp enough since it isn't Pentile either.

Droid Life just posted a nice little blurb about the Moto X and some mis-nomers about it. This phone still disappoints me after all the hype about its price being affordable off-contract, but disregarding that, it's a great phone and definitely worth consideration even at the same price point as the One and GS4, IMO, esp. if the battery life proves to be considerably better as they claim.

Cliffs from article:

• Same GPU as the Galaxy S4 and HTC One, performs better in benchmarks.

• 720p SAMOLED display is RGB, not Pentile.
  • Includes Crystal Talk for HD calls and better Touchless Controls.
  • Features dual LTE antennas.
  • Has water-repellent coating.
  • Custom-shaped battery.
  • 802.11 ac WiFi, custom vibration effects, and speaker membrane temperature monitoring.

Last edited:
100% guaranteed later on. Google has said there will be several versions of the Moto 'X' on the Play Store in the Fall / Winter. A "Developers Edition", A "Google Edition"

http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-google-play-edition-soon-price-251938/

But will it get updates direct from Google? Being on the Play Store is no guarantee of that, from what I understand. I believe it needs to be running AOSP code for it to be eligible? Does the "Developers Edition" and/or "Google Edition" imply that?

I will hold off final judgement, until I read true hands on reviews. I'm curious as to the battery life in real world use, and if it's snappy enough and smooth feeling ?

So does the Xperia SP, they both suffer from the"8960" qualcomm naming problems despite packing adreno 320 and krait 300.

Wow your 1.5ghz pro got beat by a 1.9ghz s600, you are sp good at this!

Fyi: anand called it a s4 pro as well with a little retooling, ill believe them )

Fyi: anand called it a s4 pro as well with a little retooling, ill believe them )

Wow, reading comprehension fail... Hint: The device at the top is the one you should be looking at.

Qualcomm's product lineup is not straightforward. There are multiple devices named "S4 Pro", including dual- and quad-core Krait 200s, and dual-core Krait 300s, as well as multiple flavors of Adreno graphics. It gets worse, as I think they may be respinning old part numbers with the new Krait cores, so the situation may be even more confused than I know.

no one is arguing it's a s4 pro, the argument is when people call it last gen hardware. Krait 300 makes it comparable to current generation hardware and clearly the benchmarks show it.

And, are you even reading the benchmarks right? Clearly moto x at 1.7ghz is outperforming the 1.9 ghz snapdragon S600 in the GS4... Or are you not allowed to talk about Samsung losing in benchmarks?

no one is arguing it's a s4 pro, the argument is when people call it last gen hardware. Krait 300 makes it comparable to current generation hardware and clearly the benchmarks show it.

And, are you even reading the benchmarks right? Clearly moto x at 1.7ghz is outperforming the 1.9 ghz snapdragon S600 in the GS4... Or are you not allowed to talk about Samsung losing in benchmarks?

???

They are all still using the same gpu, we dont know what its running at. Either gpu tests dont show krait 300.

???

They are all still using the same gpu, we dont know what its running at. Either gpu tests dont show krait 300.
still? What still? The original S4 Pro from last year is using Adreno 225. So how are they "still" using the same GPU?

Tell me if the X8 is Krait 300 or 200. Anandtech talked about this multiple times. First in an article of the new Droids. And now in the Moto X preview.

Also tell me if you're actually looking at the "canned" benchmarks. And explain to me how sunspider or octane has to do with the GPU.

Now that we're on the same page, riddle me this. Why is it that S-fanbois are in denial whenever they lost these benchmarks that they supposedly cared nothing about?

This chart is pretty funny
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/02/comparison-moto-x-vs-droid-ultra-vs-droid-maxx-vs-droid-mini/

theres almost zero difference between a moto x and a moto ultra for VZW.

I really can't imagine how someone could answer a person in the store that asks whats different about them.

Hah, pretty much exactly what I said.

What's weird about that comparison chart though is that the Droid Ultra has a smaller battery, but is somehow able to last 4 hours longer with the exact same hardware and slightly larger display.

I would go with the Moto X just for its faster updates and soft keys though. Or spend the extra bucks and get retarded battery life with the Maxx.

still? What still? The original S4 Pro from last year is using Adreno 225. So how are they "still" using the same GPU?

Tell me if the X8 is Krait 300 or 200. Anandtech talked about this multiple times. First in an article of the new Droids. And now in the Moto X preview.

Also tell me if you're actually looking at the "canned" benchmarks. And explain to me how sunspider or octane has to do with the GPU.

Now that we're on the same page, riddle me this. Why is it that S-fanbois are in denial whenever they lost these benchmarks that they supposedly cared nothing about?

Now I know you have no idea what you are talking about, if you look on qualcomm.com (makers of these chips) it shows the s4 pro with the same gpu AND the same part number. When anand also calls ot a dual core s4 pro, ill continue to do the same.

Also love hoe everyone who sticks up for samsung they are emmediately a "s-fanboy" to you, which would explain why a decent amount of folk have you on ignore.

Hah, pretty much exactly what I said.

What's weird about that comparison chart though is that the Droid Ultra has a smaller battery, but is somehow able to last 4 hours longer with the exact same hardware and slightly larger display.

I would go with the Moto X just for its faster updates and soft keys though. Or spend the extra bucks and get retarded battery life with the Maxx.

It would seem that the Maxx is the sweet spot here. But the X is too new to see anything concrete yet.

Now I know you have no idea what you are talking about, if you look on qualcomm.com (makers of these chips) it shows the s4 pro with the same gpu AND the same part number. When anand also calls ot a dual core s4 pro, ill continue to do the same.

Also love hoe everyone who sticks up for samsung they are emmediately a "s-fanboy" to you, which would explain why a decent amount of folk have you on ignore.

The reason anandtech is saying these are retooled is because these have krait 300 dual core making them the equivalent of a a dual core s600 regardless of its official name. To say otherwise is like claiming a pentium b980 isn't actually a cut down sandy bridge chip.

Everyone's bitching about the specs on this new Moto 'X' vs. price. Here's my quick take.

- Nexus 4 uses the S4 Pro and costs $349, and is a little dated today.

- Galaxy S4 and HTC One are newest hardware right now, and run the Snapdragon 600 and cost $650 or so.

- Moto 'X' has equal and better hardware than the Nexus 4, but not as good as a S4 or One. So the X is in between those, I think the a fair off contract price would be right between $349 and $649 which would be $499 off contract, or on the Play Store sold unlocked for $499.

yeah, that last years old garbage s4pro sure does suck compared to hot new S600. MotoX sucks compared to everything else because it is made with crappy old tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vmO5LeWUEeM

:D
I think you need to alert people with the "sarcasm icon"...

Trimlock, once again, NO ONE is calling the X8 anything other than a S4 Pro, but the the new Krait 300 cores. "The X8 is S600," say NO ONE ever! The issue is with you saying that the hardware is last generation and that it sucks. Just because it's a "S4 Pro" doesn't mean that it's got that same Krait 200 and Adreno 225 from last year. The new S4 Pro has Krait 300 and Adreno 320, just like in the Snapdragon S600. I don't know if you could possibly understand this.

Benchmarks also show that the X8 is competitive with the higher-clocked S600 in the GS4 if not better.

P.S. BTW, Trimlock, your bff got himself banned, which I suppose you already knew.

The reason anandtech is saying these are retooled is because these have krait 300 dual core making them the equivalent of a a dual core s600 regardless of its official name. To say otherwise is like claiming a pentium b980 isn't actually a cut down sandy bridge chip.

I dont know, id just rather refer to it as the manufacturing part listed. How would you like to explain to someone in a store what it has? Regardless I look forward to anands daily driver reaults.

Everyone's bitching about the specs on this new Moto 'X' vs. price. Here's my quick take.

- Nexus 4 uses the S4 Pro and costs $349, and is a little dated today.

- Galaxy S4 and HTC One are newest hardware right now, and run the Snapdragon 600 and cost $650 or so.

- Moto 'X' has equal and better hardware than the Nexus 4, but not as good as a S4 or One. So the X is in between those, I think the a fair off contract price would be right between $349 and $649 which would be $499 off contract, or on the Play Store sold unlocked for $499.

its not going to be a terrible device but if you are paying premium price you should be getting something other then premium "feel", we are still waiting to get something substantial over initial impressions (which mean jack).

Im hoping the phone hits the pkay store, i'd consider it at 450, which seems fair.

its not going to be a terrible device but if you are paying premium price you should be getting something other then premium "feel", we are still waiting to get something substantial over initial impressions (which mean jack).

Im hoping the phone hits the pkay store, i'd consider it at 450, which seems fair.

Motorola phones generally tend to have good build quality and the best radios. So if the performance is similar to the other high end phones and gets better battery life and if the camera is as good as they say it is it seems fair that they charge a premium price. Think Apple iphone...

not saying I want to pay that much and in fact I am hoping that when it's on the play store that it is in the $299 - $399 range.

Im willing to go 450 for the better radios and build quality, its so hard for me to dislike a moto product (not their prices...)

The wood back excites me a bit and the dual lte radios.

I dont know, id just rather refer to it as the manufacturing part listed. How would you like to explain to someone in a store what it has? Regardless I look forward to anands daily driver reaults.

In fairness I don't blame you one bit. If it weren't for insiders like anandtech tearing these things down even normal techies like us would be none the wiser. It confused the hell out of me too at first but the blame lays 100% on Qualcomm for scrwing the pooch with their naming scheme. I can only imagine that at some point they just stopped producing krait 200 cores because the 300 was cheaper to produce and gave everyone a "free" performance boost without ever telling anyone.

As for battery life, maybe it'll be better than other androids at idle time but I'm betting that it'll still cry like a little bitch against the iPhone 5 in the test that matters most: screen on time.

As for battery life, maybe it'll be better than other androids at idle time but I'm betting that it'll still cry like a little bitch against the iPhone 5 in the test that matters most: screen on time.
Well, the purpose of ActiveDisplay is to reduce the power draw for screen on time. Whether it catches on or not is a different issue, but early rumblings from reviewers is that they actually like it and use it a lot.

Well, the purpose of ActiveDisplay is to reduce the power draw for screen on time. Whether it catches on or not is a different issue, but early rumblings from reviewers is that they actually like it and use it a lot.

Maybe I am assuming some wrong things but I thought this was one of the design intents of AMOLED to begin with: no backlight and completely off pixels for black (combined with a black notification window). Active Display saves time though, and even better if you can also text from there as opposed to just view them.

The more I think about it the more I think the phone as a whole is a great step in one of many right directions to come. It's not for me because I have different needs and wants but that's not really what's important here. Diversity is THE name of the game for Android (some people will scoff and call it "fragmentation" but fuck it, that didn't stop Windows from becoming the standard of PCs over the last ~20 years either).

Just look at the original Galaxy Note. It came after the pretty much universally panned Dell Streak, cranked the screen size another notch, added a Wacom digitizer with pen, and placed another big premium on the price tag, higher than the iPhone 4S. The entire press thought Samsung was insane at the time, but it sold over 10 million before the Note 2 came out. I don't even have to mention the amount of competitors that are now joining the phablet race because of one experimental phone.

If the Moto X takes off, it's basically guaranteed that we'll see other manufacturers scramble to add their own versions of Active Display, Touchless Control, etc. And we'll be all the better off for it.

Anyone who thinks this phone is still a complete ripoff (and I won't deny that at first I did too) should at least considering watching this video about the phone; it's a large part of why I wrote this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZX8graseUQ

I cant watch it now, for reasons im unsure of actually. But I think you are onto something, are websites like anandtech ruining these phones? What if we had no idea of the technical specs outside of what we could see physically and just judge purely based off of experience?

But that would be way too boring!

as for the display, I wonder if them using a screen based on last year screen technology will hurt the battery life?

Back