Moto X - "The first smartphone that you can design yourself."

I think we will see decent battery life, not because they are using a large battery, but because of the low end SoC and 720p screen. I expect it'll probably just be 1800 or 2000 mAh.

I think Motorola is going for a cheap price and an iPhone Light competitor. So this will probably be priced at $300 without a contract.

I was hoping the specs would have been a little better, so I could upgrade from my Nexus 4, but I'm definitely not going to downgrade to this phone.

Maybe to some people that seems like a minor difference, but what is the point of buying a phone that in all likelihood will never have a timely update?

does the phone automatically stop functioning once a new OS update comes out?

if it does what it/you intended it to do on the day you bought it, then what difference does it make?

this mentality is like those who build computers trying to future proof it. phones are just like every other technology out there. the only way to keep up is to by buying the newest stuff, which is already old tech by the time it hits the market.

does the phone automatically stop functioning once a new OS update comes out?

if it does what it/you intended it to do on the day you bought it, then what difference does it make?

This is a weak response in my opinion - other platforms like iOS and the Nexus line will generally support updates at least for one gen behind. For example I enjoyed many updates to my G1, Nexus One, and Galaxy Nexus that materially impacted the experience I had as a consumer. In fact, I'd argue the incredible pace at which Google iterates on Android is a significant selling point of the device.

This has nothing to do with future proofing, what you are describing is the consumer electronics mentality (you want new software? go buy a new device). I'm asking for timely updates to new software, not the moon. What you are describing is like having to purchase a new PC every time another OS arrives. This is more like having to wait six months, a year, or possibly never receive a new update because manufacturer and carrier bloatware and bureaucracy mandates it.

This is a weak response in my opinion - other platforms like iOS and the Nexus line will generally support updates at least for one gen behind. For example I enjoyed many updates to my G1, Nexus One, and Galaxy Nexus that materially impacted the experience I had as a consumer. In fact, I'd argue the incredible pace at which Google iterates on Android is a significant selling point of the device.

To the average user, what version of Android/iOS they have doesn't matter even a little bit. Period. Those who care are a VERY small part of the market. Your argument, and similar arguments from many other people/websites, is of no concern to the vast majority of users. Very little Android software requires a current OS version. And for almost anything that does, there're alternates.

I want Android Key Lime Pie with Linux kernel 3.8, but I'm not an "average" user.

To the average user, what version of Android/iOS they have doesn't matter even a little bit. Period. Those who care are a VERY small part of the market. Your argument, and similar arguments from many other people/websites, is of no concern to the vast majority of users. Very little Android software requires a current OS version. And for almost anything that does, there're alternates.

I want Android Key Lime Pie with Linux kernel 3.8, but I'm not an "average" user.

I think you're absolutely right, though I do believe that it can be (and has been) used against Android from a marketing perspective. Just because a user doesn't realize they didn't get the newest version with the newest features (I still remember starting up the turn by turn nav on my G1 and nearly shitting my pants in glee), doesn't mean they may not respond to a competitor pointing it out. Apple has done it before, talking about fragmentation, and even if it hasn't had much of an impact on your average Joe I do think it could if a competitor intended it to.

My comment was really in response to the flippant "does your phone stop working" post. You're right, I'm not an average user, but I wouldn't put "receives software updates in a timely fashion" in the enthusiast requirement category. I've got colleagues who aren't remotely into tech but have mentioned it to me before. In fact one of them recently bought a Galaxy Active S4 (or whatever it's called) and returned it when he realized how much bloatware was on it.

Don't know why, but the more I hear of this 'X' phone, the less I care :rolleyes: I just have a big Meh for this phone.

The lower end spec's don't bother that much, but still make me scratch my head, why just dual core, and 720p screen in 2013 ? But I understand they have a low price point to sell the phone, and the specs are pretty good for the supposed cheap price, I guess.

2,200mAh battery ? This is Motorola for Gods sake, they have been putting MAXX batteries of 3,000mAH and higher in their phones last couple of years. The new Ultra MAXX is supposed to have a giant battery close to 4,000mAh. Would liked to have seen the 'X' come with a 3,000mAh battery.

I don't know, just have no feelings towards this 'X' phone anymore. Rather get the Nexus-Five for $399 this Fall, with Android 5.0 KLP + Snapdragon 800 + 5" 1080p screen + 3,000mAh battery...

Don't know why, but the more I hear of this 'X' phone, the less I care :rolleyes: I just have a big Meh for this phone.

The lower end spec's don't bother that much, but still make me scratch my head, why just dual core, and 720p screen in 2013 ? But I understand they have a low price point to sell the phone, and the specs are pretty good for the supposed cheap price, I guess.

2,200mAh battery ? This is Motorola for Gods sake, they have been putting MAXX batteries of 3,000mAH and higher in their phones last couple of years. The new Ultra MAXX is supposed to have a giant battery close to 4,000mAh. Would liked to have seen the 'X' come with a 3,000mAh battery.

I don't know, just have no feelings towards this 'X' phone anymore. Rather get the Nexus-Five for $399 this Fall, with Android 5.0 KLP + Snapdragon 800 + 5" 1080p screen + 3,000mAh battery...

And you know the stats for Nexus 5 how? :rolleyes:

I love how you say "lower end spec's don't bother that much" and then bitch about a fairly beefy battery that will be pretty damn good for the hardware it's going to be powering.

If X only costs $300 off contract and they have a ton of kick ass functionality it'll be pure win for Moto's bank account.

Right now X looks interesting and not something I'd personally buy but I'm not passing judgement until we know everything. X isn't a developers phone or a spec whoring top of the line, ass expensive device. It's a mass market phone meant to make Joe Average go "Wow, I want it." Normal consumers don't give a shit if it's a quad core with 3000 mAh batter or dual core with 2200mAh. They just want a device that delivers a quality experience with kick ass functionality.

The question is can Googlrola deliver that experience?

And you know the stats for Nexus 5 how? :rolleyes:

I love how you say "lower end spec's don't bother that much" and then bitch about a fairly beefy battery that will be pretty damn good for the hardware it's going to be powering.

If X only costs $300 off contract and they have a ton of kick ass functionality it'll be pure win for Moto's bank account.

Right now X looks interesting and not something I'd personally buy but I'm not passing judgement until we know everything. X isn't a developers phone or a spec whoring top of the line, ass expensive device. It's a mass market phone meant to make Joe Average go "Wow, I want it." Normal consumers don't give a shit if it's a quad core with 3000 mAh batter or dual core with 2200mAh. They just want a device that delivers a quality experience with kick ass functionality.

The question is can Googlrola deliver that experience?

Most of the rumors, are saying that LG is once again the manufacturer for the next Nexus phone, due in Oct / Nov. And that the Nexus-Five will be based off their upcoming G2 which is a Snapdragon 800 + 3,000mAH battery, and 1080p screen. Just like the Nexus 4 is based off LG's last flagship phone last year.

And Google has been selling the Nexus phones at that $400 or less price point the last two generations, and rumors say, that will not change for the next Nexus phone.

2200 mah battery in a midrange phone is stupid big, im surprised if they do that.

If Moto X ends up being a $300 off contract LTE phone it is geared toward people like my wife and I who don't give a shit how many cores it has or if it's 1080p. All we do is watch Youtube, play Pandora and use it to you know make PHONE CALLS.

If Moto X ends up being a $300 off contract LTE phone it is geared toward people like my wife and I who don't give a shit how many cores it has or if it's 1080p. All we do is watch Youtube, play Pandora and use it to you know make PHONE CALLS.

My point is, they already have that phone, and have had for years, it's called a "Nexus" phone, and can be had for $299 now, with better similar or better specs than this.

My point is, they already have that phone, and have had for years, it's called a "Nexus" phone, and can be had for $299 now, with better similar or better specs than this.
Problem with Nexus phones is that they are GSM only (you can't make a blockbuster phone while leaving Verizon out - others have tried and failed miserably) and they are not sold on carrier websites or carrier stores. (with the exception of T-Mo) These factors alone doom the Nexus to being a secret among geeks as nobody in this country will go anywhere but directly to the carrier to purchase their next phone.

The X-Phone is in the position to break the expensive phone trend thanks to all of Moto's previous agreements with all of the carriers.

Problem with Nexus phones is that they are GSM only (you can't make a blockbuster phone while leaving Verizon out - others have tried and failed miserably) and they are not sold on carrier websites or carrier stores. (with the exception of T-Mo) These factors alone doom the Nexus to being a secret among geeks as nobody in this country will go anywhere but directly to the carrier to purchase their next phone.

The X-Phone is in the position to break the expensive phone trend thanks to all of Moto's previous agreements with all of the carriers.

"you can't make a blockbuster phone while leaving Verizon out - others have tried and failed miserably"

Uh, iPhone ? The original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS we originally only on ATT in the U.S. and from what I recall were blockbuster major sellers back in the day without Verizon.

F. Verizon Nazis :( I'm glad Google stopped giving them Nexus phones.

2200 mah battery in a midrange phone is stupid big, im surprised if they do that.

No, it's not "stupid big." All the other phones with 1800mAh (or even lower) are "stupid small." Phones are mostly designed to look trendy (and of course do as much "cost downing" as possible i.e. if customers still buy the phones with small, crappy, yet cheap batteries, then that's what they'll make), not to be of maximum functionality. You guys may think your phones look nicer than my relatively fat Galaxy S2 with QCell extended battery, but the fatness of my extended battery has literally zero drawbacks. Anyone who thinks the appearance of thinness matters has poor priorities. And super thin phones are harder to hold, anyway. They make no difference in how easy (or not) a phone is to retrieve from a pocket while sitting down - the other 2 dimensions that are many, many times larger than the thickness control that. (Also the pants themselves... I hate how most pants designers put zero thought into ease of retrieving items from pockets while sitting.)

Last edited:
No, it's not "stupid big." All the other phones with 1800mAh (or even lower) are "stupid small." Phones are mostly designed to look trendy (and of course do as much "cost downing" as possible i.e. if customers still buy the phones with small, crappy, yet cheap batteries, then that's what they'll make), not to be of maximum functionality. You guys may think your phones look nicero than my relatively fat Galaxy S2 with QCell extended battery, but the fatness of my extended battery has literally zero drawbacks. Anyone who thinks the appearance of thinness matters has poor priorities. And super thin phones are harder to hold, anyway. They make no difference in how easy (or not) a phone is to retrieve from a pocket while sitting down - the other 2 dimensions that are many, many times larger than the thickness control that. (Also the pants themselves... I hate how most pants designers put zero thought into ease of retrieving items from pockets while sitting.)

Read between the lines much? I mean there was only one line and you went on one long run-on rant, sheesh.

"you can't make a blockbuster phone while leaving Verizon out - others have tried and failed miserably"

Uh, iPhone ? The original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS we originally only on ATT in the U.S. and from what I recall were blockbuster major sellers back in the day without Verizon.

F. Verizon Nazis :( I'm glad Google stopped giving them Nexus phones.
Apple is a completely different story - you only have one OEM with access to that ecosystem. With Android you have many - thus, more competition.

There have also been plenty articles written about how Apple could have crushed Android from the start if they got on both Verizon AND ATT. Because the iPhone never made it to VZW until much later, they gave Google the window it needed with the OG Droid to be a smash hit. Verizon then took the brand in its own direction.

Apple is a completely different story - you only have one OEM with access to that ecosystem. With Android you have many - thus, more competition.

There have also been plenty articles written about how Apple could have crushed Android from the start if they got on both Verizon AND ATT. Because the iPhone never made it to VZW until much later, they gave Google the window it needed with the OG Droid to be a smash hit. Verizon then took the brand in its own direction.

That's a good conversation for a different thread. What if Verizon also had the original iPhone at launch, along with ATT in 2007. Would those two carries combined selling the iPhone just completely dominate the market back then, and not even allow Android or Windows Phone to gain any traction ?

T-Mobile would have been the sole heavy Android carrier then, and Sprint too. Maybe Motorola would have gone to T-Mobile for their Droid line ?

Read between the lines much? I mean there was only one line and you went on one long run-on rant, sheesh.

Why are you complaining about that? :confused:

It bothers me that:
1) Manufacturers give us phones with crappy battery life,
2) Consumers are willing to accept crappy battery life just so their phone can be annoyingly thin. Look... all of you who accept it... you have nothing to gain by not demanding better battery life. And for those of you that are really confused, you're not gaining anything by caring about the thickness of your phone, or by choosing a phone with a sealed battery. You make up excuses like "better build quality" when the build quality on the phones you don't like is easily good enough. My SGS2 has zero flex and has never broken any pieces and the battery door has stayed on just fine even when dropping it. Those of you choosing say an HTC One for build quality are not using good criteria at all here. It's pointless criteria and it sends the message to manufacturers that "Hey, we don't care about anything but appearance, and we don't mind crap battery life and a planned failure with the lack of replaceable battery (and is built in such a way that it's almost guaranteed to break if you try).

You point out a battery, which is small, as being large, just because you're used to crap battery life. Sorry, but you're wrong. 2200mA is tiny. Your expectations are wrong.

Other people care about appearance. I care about functionality. What other people like affects what products are available for me to try. Why do you think my concern is invalid?

Last edited:

It bothers me that:
2) Consumers are willing to accept crappy battery life just so their phone can be annoyingly thin. Look... all of you who accept it... you have nothing to gain by not demanding better battery life. And for those of you that are really confused, you're not gaining anything by caring about the thickness of your phone, or by choosing a phone with a sealed battery. You make up excuses like "better build quality" when the build quality on the phones you don't like is easily good enough. My SGS2 has zero flex and has never broken any pieces and the battery door has stayed on just fine even when dropping it. Those of you choosing say an HTC One for build quality are not using good criteria at all here. It's pointless criteria and it sends the message to manufacturers that "Hey, we don't care about anything but appearance, and we don't mind crap battery life and a planned failure with the lack of replaceable battery (and is built in such a way that it's almost guaranteed to break if you try).

Other people care about appearance. I care about functionality. What other people like affects what products are available for me to try. Why do you think my concern is invalid?
My fisher-price phone never broke either through numerous deliberate drops, chewing, and water-damage.

th

That stands for quality!!!

My fisher-price phone never broke either through numerous deliberate drops, chewing, and water-damage.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4903822926808482&pid=1.7[/IM G]

That stands for quality!!![/QUOTE]

Indeed.

[IMG]http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/41297-image/HTC-One-vs-iPhone-5-drop-test-results-in-broken-glass-shattered-dreams.jpg

Too bad HTC couldn't match Fisher-Price's build quality! :p

It bothers me that:

You point out a battery, which is small, as being large, just because you're used to crap battery life. Sorry, but you're wrong. 2200mA is tiny. Your expectations are wrong.

Again deciding to quote an obviouse ambiguos post to rant and rave about, putting words in another post that werent there.

You sir should get a reward for writing a novel based on a sub 20 word post.

Although I can cite numerous drop test comparison videos on Youtube (such as this), I know all you peeps will talk about how it's unfair despite the numerous random sampling of drops. It's like even random mathematics or god is unfair to Samsung GS4 when dropped or something... So make your own judgment.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samsung+galaxy+s4+vs+htc+one+drop+test

I wasn't defending the GS4 or dandragonrage, I was just making fun of your absurd comparison/joke.

It's funny that both links you provided don't show any direct durability comparisons between the One and GS4 though. Almost all of the results were performance comparisons between the One and GS4 or either phone vs the iPhone 5 in a drop test. The first link just shows how some third party video app doesn't work on the GS4 and does on the One, which is probably due to the phones being on different versions of Android (4.2.2 vs 4.1.2).

Preemptive bump for this afternoon's announcement!

Looking forward to it, wont be real until I can see it in the flesh so to speak.

Same here. I'm not too concerned about specs, I'm just hoping (not expecting) that this phone will really be available for $300-$400 off-contract, esp. for Verizon. If it is, then that will be truly ground-breaking!

Same here. I'm not too concerned about specs, I'm just hoping (not expecting) that this phone will really be available for $300-$400 off-contract, esp. for Verizon. If it is, then that will be truly ground-breaking!

Im being pesimistic and wont be holding my breath.

My two year old daughter broke my samsung nexus. I loved my nexus, but i am watching this moto x closely. I suspended my line for 90 days while i "wait and see" what comes out around black friday :)

Confirmed:

-Launching on all 4 carriers without carrier customization
-Launching on ATT with the ability to customize storage size, color, wood skin, etc.
-Mid tier specs confirmed but seems to run with the best of them benchmark wise
-$199 on contract, 16 gb
-$250 on contract, 32 gb
-All models shipping on ATT and T-Mo are unlocked
-Nano-sim
-Near vanilla skin
-You get 50 gb free drive storage
-24 hour guaranteed battery life (we'll see)
-Google Play edition will be available
-Verizon customization coming later this year

Last edited:
fucking garbage. no cheap off-contract pricing to contend in the nexus 4/5 market. no-go for me.

fucking garbage. no cheap off-contract pricing to contend in the nexus 4/5 market. no-go for me.
I think 98% of the population is not going to care - on most carriers, you pay the same price whether you are on contract or off contract.

So any customization and you'll end up with an ATT contract version? Lol

Given on contract pricing the GPE and T-Mobile pricing are probably gonna be around $600...

So any customization and you'll end up with an ATT contract version? Lol

Given on contract pricing the GPE and T-Mobile pricing are probably gonna be around $600...
You are probably right about that.

But like I said...I don't think anybody will care

Back