Moto X - "The first smartphone that you can design yourself."

Probably a mid-ranged phone with a high end price when customized

all speculation though

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I love the build quality of the razr products. samsung phones are too flimsy, the htc one feels decent but not as solid.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

This could be the first botique style smartphone.

Or it could be glitter pink.

I want a true HTC nexus device again. Their use of materials and design is head and shoulders above Samsung and Motorola, in my opinion anyway, but I just wish they would stop A. fucking with the default button layout and B. stop forcing that stupid sense UI on us. The "Google Play" edition devices are partway there, but until they give a full guarantee that those devices would receive updates straight from Google, I could never get one.

I want a true HTC nexus device again. Their use of materials and design is head and shoulders above Samsung and Motorola, in my opinion anyway, but I just wish they would stop A. fucking with the default button layout and B. stop forcing that stupid sense UI on us. The "Google Play" edition devices are partway there, but until they give a full guarantee that those devices would receive updates straight from Google, I could never get one.

People need to realize that if you want a device supported by Google then you buy a NEXUS. GPe phones are NOT AOSP supported and thus will NEVER be supported directly by Google.

Think OG Droid. Pure Android but updates still came from Motorola.

People kept demanding for high end devices with pure Android. They got it, but now they bitch because it isn't a Nexus. :rolleyes:

People kept demanding for high end devices with pure Android. They got it, but now they bitch because it isn't a Nexus. :rolleyes:

'Pure' android of the current version...with no commitment to future updates. There are two parts to the Nexus 'formula': The phone runs the latest version of stock android, and it will be first in line to receive OTA updates straight from Google. GP devices give us half of that.

Maybe to some people that seems like a minor difference, but what is the point of buying a phone that in all likelihood will never have a timely update? In fact, even the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus got fucked on the jellybean update. Full disclaimer, I went from a G1 to a Nexus One to a GSM Galaxy Nexus. Now I'm waiting on the next Nexus device with key lime pie. I really like android, but at least personally if I'm to consider a non-nexus device it needs to be running stock android with an explicit commitment from the manufacturer as to when updates would arrive.

Last edited:
I'll just wait for the Nexus-Five, due out in just a few short months. The N5 will be guaranteed to get updates first and foremost, and will be no slouch hardware wise. Rumored specs;

- Android 5.0
- Snapdragon 800
- 3,000mAh battery
- 5" 1080p screen
- Rumored price of $399
- Release date Oct / Nov
- Made by LG most likely, possibly Sony.

Moto X to feature standalone language processing and context awareness chips

http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-language-processing-chip-238522/

Specifications – The specs that leaked so far are real: 720p display, dual-core Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM.
Battery life – unknown, but it will be “industry leading”.
Storage – multiple options available.
Availability – in August, US first, Verizon not likely to get it, other countries to get in Q4. Will also sell unlocked.
Price – not specified, but around $299 or less.
Customization – users will get to choose the case material and the color, as well as the wallpaper, ringtone, and apps through a web portal
Materials – plastic, wood, metal, carbon fiber (based on rumors)
Contextual aware – always-on listening mode, supported by a standalone language processing chip and a contextual awareness chip that analyzes the input from an array of sensors.

So you can wake your phone by a voice command or tell it to zoom in? Pretty cool if true.

Verizon not likely to get it?

One with their frequencies already went through the FCC

Appart from frequencies was also software dictation done by them, but I think this rumor is going off of the fact that the nexus 4 was with held from verizon.

I think the "X" phone is going after the GSM market big time, the same market the Nexus 4 goes after, like international markets, and ATT + T-Mobile in the U.S.

Verizon will not get the "X' right away if at all, they will get a revised Razr Ultra line, instead.

So there has been 3 Moto phones that passed through the FCC which has CDMA radios and LTE: XT1030 (Ultra M), XT1060 (XFON), and XT1080 (Ultra MAXX). The model numbers kind of reinforces rumors that the X phone won't be Moto's top end phone, but perhaps the most open.

The customisation is pretty cool, but the specs are so last year :) 720p display and dual core? Way too meh.

The customisation is pretty cool, but the specs are so last year :) 720p display and dual core? Way too meh.

Most people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a phone. In fact this is exactly the reason why they went with a cheaper 720p display.

Most people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a phone. In fact this is exactly the reason why they went with a cheaper 720p display.

Even as an"enthusiast" I'm much more interested in things like battery life and even basic functions like speakerphone quality than I am in higher pixel density beyond 720p..

Even as an"enthusiast" I'm much more interested in things like battery life and even basic functions like speakerphone quality than I am in higher pixel density beyond 720p..
I prefer 720.....it's less pixels for the GPU to push. I'll take the performance advantage over a resolution difference nobody's eyes can see

Moto X appears in clearest image yet, Eric Schmidt apparently talking on it [Update x2: gallery]
http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-appears-eric-schmidt-talking-242810/

This white looks pretty sharp, I am actually getting excited for this phone,. An affordable unlocked phone, sort of like an Nexus, but supposedly even cheaper, rumored in the $249/$299 price range.

I am hoping Motorola gives us their MAXX battery tech in this phone, and not just use that for the Droid Ultra series.

I was planning on getting my Wife the (Verizon) One, but if this phone is $300 off-contract, has a 4.3" display and a big Maxx-like battery, then I'll probably be getting this for her instead. Her Rezound's size is about as big as she wants to go (it's 4.3" 720p also) and I think 720p at 4.3" is still damn nice to look at. 1080p at 4.3" would just be a waste, IMO. The One's 4.7" screen and larger Bezel for the speakers would probably make it too large for her. The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about on the Moto X is the camera quality. I'm sure it will be better than her Rezound (which is mediocre at best), but Moto has probably had the worst cameras in their phones recently compared to all the other flagship phones.

I prefer 720.....it's less pixels for the GPU to push. I'll take the performance advantage over a resolution difference nobody's eyes can see

I'll take 1080p personally. Can copy any 1080p videos from my PC and watch them with 1:1 pixel mapping. Also, I RDP with my phone, and resolution helps a lot there. Most people don't do that. Was a little bit interested in this, but looks like it doesn't apply to me anyway as I'm on CDMA.

I'll take 1080p personally. Can copy any 1080p videos from my PC and watch them with 1:1 pixel mapping. Also, I RDP with my phone, and resolution helps a lot there. Most people don't do that. Was interested in this, but looks like it doesn't apply to me anyway as I'm on CDMA.

You wouldn't want a 4.3" phone for all that anyways then. My Note 2 is almost perfect for RDP, if not for the resolution (720p) it would be perfect. For these uses, then yeah, 1080p would be nice, but I still think it would be somewhat wasted on a 4.3" display because everything would be so damn tiny (in RDP) you would have to zoom in to do anything anyways. I almost have to do that on my Note 2 already at 720p.

Also, the Moto X is supposed to be on Verizon/Sprint.

They were vague about customization. I am sure it will probably be customization no one cares that much about. Like screen printed parts much like dell laptops have always offered. But what would be pretty cool is if you could select which CPU you wanted, how much memory and most importantly which screen. You could choose an AMOLED screen if you want contrast, IPS RGB stripe for better outdoor viewing and a pentil screen for max brightness. Of course as before you could pick between and ultra thin razr profile or a thicker extended battery. Also the option for a digitizer and holder for it on the side.

At that point phones might be more customizable than most ultrabooks. .

On another point I think Motorola going colorful is stupid. There are already plenty of companies doing that especially with windows phone and no one seems to care.In fact it seems like mostly the companies that are struggling are doing it.

But what would be pretty cool is if you could select which CPU you wanted, how much memory and most importantly which screen. You could choose an AMOLED screen if you want contrast, IPS RGB stripe for better outdoor viewing and a pentil screen for max brightness. Of course as before you could pick between and ultra thin razr profile or a thicker extended battery. Also the option for a digitizer and holder for it on the side.

That would be pretty awesome, but I think that would also make software support for the phone a nightmare for the OEM unless it was straight AOSP/stock Android.

I agree about the external customization being useless. Unless you see some customization of the front bezel color/material, I'm (or my Wife who will be getting it) going to put a case on it anyways, covering up whatever special backplate you have on it.

They were vague about customization. I am sure it will probably be customization no one cares that much about. Like screen printed parts much like dell laptops have always offered. But what would be pretty cool is if you could select which CPU you wanted, how much memory and most importantly which screen. You could choose an AMOLED screen if you want contrast, IPS RGB stripe for better outdoor viewing and a pentil screen for max brightness. Of course as before you could pick between and ultra thin razr profile or a thicker extended battery. Also the option for a digitizer and holder for it on the side.

At that point phones might be more customizable than most ultrabooks. .

On another point I think Motorola going colorful is stupid. There are already plenty of companies doing that especially with windows phone and no one seems to care.In fact it seems like mostly the companies that are struggling are doing it.

That would be pretty awesome, but I think that would also make software support for the phone a nightmare for the OEM unless it was straight AOSP/stock Android.

I agree about the external customization being useless. Unless you see some customization of the front bezel color/material, I'm (or my Wife who will be getting it) going to put a case on it anyways, covering up whatever special backplate you have on it.

I think you guys sometimes forget that people like us are in the extreme minority...and are not targeted when it comes to designing and marketing these phones

I think you guys sometimes forget that people like us are in the extreme minority...and are not targeted when it comes to designing and marketing these phones

I know this and don't see how you got that from my post. Most people put cases on their phone.

I do not forget that we are in the minority but that doesn't stop dell or any PC maker from doing custom configs. Heck most of the options would probably be "quick" ship models given there are not that many variations. The real question is just is there any money to be made in it? It seems so far that phones are so cheap to make that no one really wants to bother making alternate configs except memory sizes.

The crux of customization is that by default most companies always want to configure a product at the lowest spec to keep the price low, but many people want certain things to be better and are willing to pay for it. So you make a "quick ship" model that is the lowest spec and then have a lead time for upgrades.

motorola,

I'll take my phone with the following

infinite battery life
infinite talk time
pixels so small that no matter how far you zoom in, you can't see them
accurate color reproduction with true color space.
glare free under all circumstances

lawl

Still scratching my head on these 2011 specs. WTF ?

I understand the most important is software and battery life, and a smartphone just needs pretty good specs to keep it smooth and snappy. But the leaked specs for the "X" seem crazy outdated, like two years ago hardware. I don't expect it to have the new Snapdragon 800 + 3GB RAM, like all new Android phones this Fall. But at least match the one year old Nexus 4 specs, not the ancient Galaxy Nexus type spec.

And none of these leaks have ever mentioned the battery ? This is Motorola after all, so I sure hope this 'X' is running the latest MAXX battery tech inside ? I'm fine with outdated hardware, if in place you give me best in class longest battery life.

How is MSM8960T 2011 specs? It's US GS3/One X with a better GPU. Or a Nexus 4 with half the CPU cores and a supposedly better battery, whichever way you choose to look at it.

How is MSM8960T 2011 specs? It's US GS3/One X with a better GPU. Or a Nexus 4 with half the CPU cores and a supposedly better battery, whichever way you choose to look at it.

Good point, thanks, so hardware wise its not super outdated, but still running last years specs. But whatever. I really just want killer battery life #1 over high end hardware, I hope the"X" uses the next generation MAXX battery tech, like the 4,000mAh in the new Droid Ultra series, or something close at least.

I hope the"X" uses the next generation MAXX battery tech

Uhhh... Batteries are batteries. Know how they got such a big battery in the phone? They made the phone a bit wider, and shoehorned it in there using creative industrial engineering & product design.. It's not like you can make a supercharged battery in the same dimensions as a "nonsupercharged" battery.

Where is this Maxx battery tech? Its just a phone with double the battery size.

Uhhh... Batteries are batteries. Know how they got such a big battery in the phone? They made the phone a bit wider, and shoehorned it in there using creative industrial engineering & product design.. It's not like you can make a supercharged battery in the same dimensions as a "nonsupercharged" battery.

Where is this Maxx battery tech? Its just a phone with double the battery size.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Let him have his moment. ;)

I know Motorola does not use secret Area 51 alien tech for its batteries, they have learned how to squeeze in a gigantic battery into a relatively thin phone.

My question is, for this new "X" line, I sure hope Motorola keeps that trend going, and slams in a massive battery in there.

yes, because if you notice, the razr line is a LOT wider than most other devices. Thin & wide, but the same area as narrower and thickier

Back