Moto G boost mobile(can be flashed to other carriers)$56.99 target with redcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
And their BS response which basically is like reading their website....

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding to your recent inquiry.

Please be informed that the Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) Program allows you to use your cellular phones to Straight Talk by buying a SIM card and an unlimited service card. It gives you the ability to use virtually any compatible or unlocked domestic GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or SIM card-capable phones. The phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands.

This also includes CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) or non-SIM card phones. You need to purchase a Network Access Code along with the unlimited service card. The Network Access Code will serve as a key to load and identify the phone in our system then complete its one-time registration.

Bring Your Own Phone program for GSM/CDMA does not support iPads, branded Straight Talk, SafeLink, TracFone, NET10, and TelCel America phones.

For further inquiries, visit www.straighttalkbyop.com or contact our Customer Care Center at 1-855-222-2355. Our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Straight Talk Wireless customer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Straight Talk Wireless

You need to purchase a Network Access Code along with the unlimited service card. The Network Access Code will serve as a key to load and identify the phone in our system then complete its one-time registration

ok so that right there makes me believe it WILL work, but they will charge you for this network access code at least starting off..... and i guess it kinda makes sense if the esn is not in there database? actually they probably just looking to offset some fees verizion charges them when its not one of there phones?...im really just guessing...looks pretty solid to me it should work

Either way, if it doesn't I would just run some BOINC projects on it and toss some money making apps on there to recoup the investment. I will think about it since the closest Target is an hour away. The BB one will ship free to my home. After factoring gas, they would probably be the same price for me...

Well anyways...to have any chance at all to work with straight talk it would 100% have to be flashed.....theres no programs to buy, as they have free demos that will do the work...that being "DFS" tool is all thats needed software tools wise and a mico usb cable. Theres only one thing that could get in the way...the phone will have a boost esn no matter what you do to it...straight talks sister company pagepluss didn't care...and with the wording of "BYOD cdma" phones sorta tells me it shouldn't be an issue..I didn't know they were still allowing byod cdma phones and with that being said it will be using verizion's network so there's no getting around flashing it IF they really do allow them.

I believe ST uses the Sprint network for CDMA service.

From what I've read the nice thing about this phone for Page Plus is that it's a permanent flash, probably because it's not LTE. For instance I flashed my Razr Maxx when I first got it to try out PP and then I had to flash again when I ported my old number in, with this phone I would have had to only flash it once. If this had an SD slot I might be tempted though I doubt it has anywhere near the battery life of my Maxx.

Right now its looking like a 48 hour phone (depending on usage,obviously streaming video will get you one day at most) course my previous droid razr xt912 had a few years on it, and a smaller battery it was usually only a one day phone for the most part.

A lot of people complain about no sd storage....yea i had huge sd cards in all my other phones, if i didn't use any space management they would fill up as well....I think this phone will last the entire day no problem even with very heavy use and if it runs out of space ill move the data to my pc or just let it backup to Google and then delete it. If you got older phones with busted screens these 60 dollar phones come in handy

I believe ST uses the Sprint network for CDMA service.

in a way it kinda does when roaming, for voice or text messages...but its nothing more than a verizion mvno and the gsm side uses the att network or roams on t Mobil if needed

Last edited:
Can I use this as a pocket friendly MP3/video player?

I use this phone as a pocket tablet at home and wish it was my phone. The screen is decent.

But this phone has two flaws.
1) No SD card expansion
2) Onboard speaker is subpar. Its ok. But the $10 Kyocera Hydro I was using previously sounds better. Haven't used it with headphones though.

I have an auto updating playlist on mine and it currently has 180 songs and 2.17gb left.

Right now its looking like a 48 hour phone (depending on usage,obviously streaming video will get you one day at most) course my previous droid razr xt912 had a few years on it, and a smaller battery it was usually only a one day phone for the most part.

A lot of people complain about no sd storage....yea i had huge sd cards in all my other phones, if i didn't use any space management they would fill up as well....I think this phone will last the entire day no problem even with very heavy use and if it runs out of space ill move the data to my pc or just let it backup to Google and then delete it. If you got older phones with busted screens these 60 dollar phones come in handy

in a way it kinda does when roaming, for voice or text messages...but its nothing more than a verizion mvno and the gsm side uses the att network or roams on t Mobil if needed

You're correct about ST cdma service using Verizon networks, not sure why I thought it was using Sprint.

The main reason any phone without an SD slot is a no go for me is that I like to have lots of lossless music on my phone, I have a 32 gb card right now and it's still not enough space. I've also heard that the wear leveling algorithms on most phones are poor so i like the idea of using replaceable NAND for I/O intensive uses and leaving more open space on the internal storage.

I haven't seen any battery life tests on the moto g but it would have to be much more efficient for the 2070 mAh battery to outlast the 3300 mAh battery on the Maxx(xt912), when I got my Maxx about a year ago it was one of the highest rated phones for battery life. I'm a light phone user but I generally get 8-10 days on a charge, with what I consider heavy use I get 2-3 days. I do keep wifi and data off unless I'm using them and I have an app that dims the backlight some based on ambient light levels.

I think the Moto g is a great phone for the price I was just throwing out a couple of reasons why I decided against it.

[QUOTE 8-10 days on a charge][/QUOTE]

just for shits and giggles try streaming to hd video for about 4 hours,,,maybe 5 hours....and i dont do this much but there are occasions with certain girls and you know what....well puts ya in the mood for certain hd content.....that kind use seems to drain battery in no time....learned the hard way several times:eek: i wonder if that max would do a full day much less 8 days:D

For those unaware.

Sprint and Verizon well not ever activate a phone they didn't sell. To be clear you can flash this phone all you want Sprint will not activate it.

Secondly Motorola uses this shittiest audio hardware money can buy. As a media player this is garbage.

As a cheap prepaid phone though it's great...

For $5/month you don't get any cellular coverage at all though. Wifi only.

I just upgraded to the $10/month plan. Even though the hospitals I work at let me connect to the internet they all block calls over WiFi. $10 includes cellular calls and text, internet is still over WiFi. A lot cheaper than the $60 I was paying before. :)

I just upgraded to the $10/month plan. Even though the hospitals I work at let me connect to the internet they all block calls over WiFi. $10 includes cellular calls and text, internet is still over WiFi. A lot cheaper than the $60 I was paying before. :)

wow, i never heard of anyplace that blocked wifi calls? thats a new one to me:eek:

It's more common than you think. Voip can really bog down a network.

now when you say this, your meaning over the data network of the phone company correct? typical voip over coffee shops wifi is all together different i guess

just for shits and giggles i ran a speed test.....guess i could have gotten better ping from a different server (looks like Google cloud was backing something up as well) looking at the screenshot
Screenshot_2014-07-30-21-48-21_zpsd4499b60.png
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

For those unaware.

Sprint and Verizon well not ever activate a phone they didn't sell. To be clear you can flash this phone all you want Sprint will not activate it.

Secondly Motorola uses this shittiest audio hardware money can buy. As a media player this is garbage.

As a cheap prepaid phone though it's great...

the one i got has the loudest speaker i ever heard....but even i use headphones when needed

now when you say this, your meaning over the data network of the phone company correct? typical voip over coffee shops wifi is all together different i guess

just for shits and giggles i ran a speed test.....guess i could have gotten better ping from a different server (looks like Google cloud was backing something up as well) looking at the screenshot
Screenshot_2014-07-30-21-48-21_zpsd4499b60.png
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

No any network. Voip can strain even a fast connection. Especially an environment like a hospital or clinic where you could potentially have many people calling at once.

the one i got has the loudest speaker i ever heard....but even i use headphones when needed

Ok and? Loud is Not any indication of quality.

No any network. Voip can strain even a fast connection. Especially an environment like a hospital or clinic where you could potentially have many people calling at once.

Ok and? Loud is Not any indication of quality.

ok....it was very clear and loud as well......what so you expect for a super tiny experience.......honestly i have always worn phones if i wanted grate sound

Hi guys I'm having an issue with my phone and was wondering if anyone experienced this as well.
My MOTO G is about a month old, I had 74% left today when I glanced at it, I put it away and then about two hours later I heard the phone vibrate and shut off. The battery died. I plugged it in and saw that I had no apps running, just the usual "required apps" under the "Settings, Running" menu. Any ideas what might be causing the battery to drain so quickly?

Hi guys I'm having an issue with my phone and was wondering if anyone experienced this as well.
My MOTO G is about a month old, I had 74% left today when I glanced at it, I put it away and then about two hours later I heard the phone vibrate and shut off. The battery died. I plugged it in and saw that I had no apps running, just the usual "required apps" under the "Settings, Running" menu. Any ideas what might be causing the battery to drain so quickly?

first thing i usually do is go into settings then battery and it will show in % whats been using up all the battery use....there's also a batter saver slider at the top you can set on that could help the phone use less power

another thing you can do is look into settings then apps the running apps and look for apps that don't need to be running and think about stopping and or uninstalling then...theres a thread here dedicated to removing all bloat software thats not needed and could help you get much more time between charges not to mention smoother running:Looks like anyone who pms him hell send ya a script that will remove a lot of useless junk:)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-(Safe-Apps-to-Remove)-other-Tips-and-Tricks? the OP Viper32' has been around a while and knows his shit

Last edited:
You can also download Wakelock detector and it might help you determine any apps causing your phone not to go into deep sleep properly...

Also, if you use Facebook TURN OFF ALL FACEBOOK NOTIFICATIONS in the app settings. The Facebook Android app is so poorly coded that leaving notifications turned on literally causes your phone to drain the battery twice as fast. It's nuts...

And as far as the Moto G and audio quality? I don't know what one of the posters above me is on about....

As far as headphone quality it's actually excellent, not at all like Motorola built phones in the past. This probably has something to do with Google's involvement. Whatever the case, it's not bad at all.

Onboard speaker quality isn't particularly high fidelity - but it's a tiny ass speaker meant for ringtones and whatnot. What it IS though is LOUD. The Moto G has one of the loudest speakers I've ever heard on a phone. You better believe you and everyone within a city block is going to know it if you get a phone call.....

haha facebook probably mad about google plus. I have noticed that crap. ITunes works like garbage and runs a core to death on windows PCs. Etc. Sabotage through applications because they know most consumers will blame it on the OS.

I never understood the appeal of the Facebook app. The mobile site works just fine in Chrome browser. Unless you want a notification every time someone posts...(yuck)...

And as far as the Moto G and audio quality? I don't know what one of the posters above me is on about....

As far as headphone quality it's actually excellent, not at all like Motorola built phones in the past. This probably has something to do with Google's involvement. Whatever the case, it's not bad at all.

Onboard speaker quality isn't particularly high fidelity - but it's a tiny ass speaker meant for ringtones and whatnot. What it IS though is LOUD. The Moto G has one of the loudest speakers I've ever heard on a phone. You better believe you and everyone within a city block is going to know it if you get a phone call.....

Bullshit it's typical Qualcomm junk audio components.

Point is for a portable music player you can do much better even at this price point. Was simply referring to those asking about this as such.

Point is for a portable music player you can do much better even at this price point. Was simply referring to those asking about this as such.

disposed, do you actually have this phone? Everything Blue Falcon said seemed 100% accurate to me. I will put this debate to rest and listen to some songs on my pc then try it on the phone and see if i can tell the difference....on top of that i seriously doubt a lot of people would hear the difference especially people like my 16 year old son....

but ill run some test tonight and give my thoughts on quality.... the loudness is definitely there lol...about twice as loud as my razr

disposed, do you actually have this phone? Everything Blue Falcon said seemed 100% accurate to me. I will put this debate to rest and listen to some songs on my pc then try it on the phone and see if i can tell the difference....on top of that i seriously doubt a lot of people would hear the difference especially people like my 16 year old son....

but ill run some test tonight and give my thoughts on quality.... the loudness is definitely there lol...about twice as loud as my razr

What the fuck is so difficult to understand abut what I am saying?

It has bottom of the line hardware components inside of it. If your purpose is to buy An mp3 player you can do better for sound quality even at this price. If you want a phone good luck typing this price.

I'm not sure what it's so confusing about this that people keep arguing about it. It's like you guys feel the need to defend it without thinking that I'm not actually bashing the thing for its intended purpose.

It has bottom of the line hardware components inside of it. If your purpose is to buy An mp3 player you can do better for sound quality even at this price. If you want a phone good luck typing this price.

I'm not sure what it's so confusing about this that people keep arguing about it. It's like you guys feel the need to defend it without thinking that I'm not actually bashing the thing for its intended purpose.

Nothing difficult or confusing at all, except the fact your very insulting, and you never actually tried the item in question.....this is my thread, and since you find then need to be immature and insulting more important than anything else, please don't post in this thread anymore. you stated your opinion, now its time to go and troll someone's else thread.

edit: keep in mind i have already pm'd a mod to look into this thread, in case things start to heat up....everyone (including myself) should think very carefully about what they plan to post next

Last edited:
Nothing difficult or confusing at all, except the fact your very insulting, and you never actually tried the item in question.....this is my thread, and since you find then need to be immature and insulting more important than anything else, please don't post in this thread anymore. you stated your opinion, now its time to go and troll someone's else thread.

edit: keep in mind i have already pm'd a mod to look into this thread, in case things start to heat up....everyone (including myself) should think very carefully about what they plan to post next

I dont need to try the item in question its the same qualcom audio hardware that comes with every other qualcom chipset by default.

Its you taking what i said out of context or simply not understanding what i said to begin with.

To reiterate YET AGAIN. Everything i said was for those asking before about this device as an MP3 player. But there are those that take any form of criticism and decide they have some obligation to defend a piece of fucking hardware like its some sort of biblical thing since they own it.

How long is this sale supposed to be going on? I didn't see it in the sales flyer and the store I went to was sold out.

I'll take the word of someone who is actually using it over someone who acts like an asshole with small dick syndrome. If your done trolling my thread please be on your way;) Its pretty clear some of us have much lower standards for mp3/ media players than what some individuals demand. Since it was made into such a huge issue, i will hook my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and compare it to the audio i get from my sound blaster z, and give my own review.

Never had to do it before, but I'll be learning how to use the ignore feature for yourself:D

I'll take the word of someone who is actually using it over someone who acts like an asshole with small dick syndrome. If your done trolling my thread please be on your way;) Its pretty clear some of us have much lower standards for mp3/ media players than what some individuals demand. Since it was made into such a huge issue, i will hook my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and compare it to the audio i get from my sound blaster z, and give my own review.

Never had to do it before, but I'll be learning how to use the ignore feature for yourself:D

I have used the hardware, its in quite a few phones actually. Nothing new or special, bottom end budget junk. Not bad for a phone but like i said already countless times not good for a dedicated media player.

But i give up, take it all personally as though we are talking about your fucking first born kid or something. But hey lets go tattle tale over nothing and threaten other members with the mods then immediately turn right around and go full on personal attacks. :rolleyes:

Unless you gave birth to a fucking moto g you should take a step back and actually read what has been said and how you are behaving in defense of a PHONE, a fucking PHONE. because someone said the audio components are crappy in this PHONE you are taking it personally... You can compare it to the soundblaster Z if you like its not even in the same galaxy as even that mid level sound card but im sure you will be back to tell everyone how comparable it is.

So again as a dedicated media device its crap, as a phone its fantastic for its price. Such a harmless statement caused all of this shit...

attachment.php

i saw this posted in Howard forums...but i wouldn't wait till the last min if i were you:) especially if they sell out

The Target by my house has had these in stock since the thread started. I keep looking for a reason to buy one, the. I walk by them and leave with nothing :p

Hooked my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and was pleasantly surprised.....sounded great to me..of course it wont have the same punch a creative z does since it has a fairly good built in amp.....but it sounded great to me:D

Obviously we are dealing with a professional here, I invite everyone to take a look at his mastery of the written language. Note his superbly placed usage of the word 'fuck', 'fucking' and 'bullshit'.

I concede defeat and retract my previous statements (which are based on continued and actual usage).... no one get this phone if you listen to music. In fact you should only get the Moto G if you're deaf. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back