Moto Droid Update, whose got it?

how will you know?

I thought we werent getting it till the 11th

Your phone will let you know. no way to force it as far as I know. Supposedly it should roll out to all devices within the next 48 hours.

List of fixes,

x OS stability is improved.
x Battery life is improved.
x Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots is reduced.
x Enhancements for three-way calling.
x Audio for incoming calls is improved.
x When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.
x Bluetooth® functionality is improved; background echo is eliminated. x Improved Bluetooth phone book transfer of contacts to in-vehicle
Bluetooth solutions.
x After closing a GPS application, the GPS icon will now automatically be removed from the notification panel.
x Users can now receive SMS and MMS messages after an EMS message is received.
x SMS and MMS may now be sent to seven-digit addresses. x Google® contact merging has been updated to accommodate
seven-digit numbers. x Visual Voice Mail notices now arrive instantaneously. • The corporate calendar widget user interface is updated.

how will you know?

Exactly, I'm on firmware 2.0, baseband c_01.3B.01p, build ESD20

check for updates returns 'your system is currently up to date'

anyone know what the update is supposed to include? (edit: nvm, addressed above)

Your phone will let you know. no way to force it as far as I know. Supposedly it should roll out to all devices within the next 48 hours.

List of fixes,

x OS stability is improved.
x Battery life is improved.
x Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots is reduced.
x Enhancements for three-way calling.
x Audio for incoming calls is improved.
x When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.
x Bluetooth® functionality is improved; background echo is eliminated. x Improved Bluetooth phone book transfer of contacts to in-vehicle
Bluetooth solutions.
x After closing a GPS application, the GPS icon will now automatically be removed from the notification panel.
x Users can now receive SMS and MMS messages after an EMS message is received.
x SMS and MMS may now be sent to seven-digit addresses. x Google® contact merging has been updated to accommodate
seven-digit numbers. x Visual Voice Mail notices now arrive instantaneously. • The corporate calendar widget user interface is updated.

Those might be the highlights but I thought the list was a lot longer. Or was just longer on paper because they went into detail? I'll have to search later and see if I can find it.

Those might be the highlights but I thought the list was a lot longer. Or was just longer on paper because they went into detail? I'll have to search later and see if I can find it.

This? http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/motorola-droid-and-htc-droid-eris-ota-updates-coming-december-11th/

As far as the Droid update goes, it's being rolled out randomly (obviously).
Boy Genius Report said:
“Here’s what we’ve got: a clear explanation from a VZW connect that outlines how the OTA updates work for the Motorola DROID. At noon today, approximately 1,000 people received the notification to update their handset. At around midnight this evening, 9,000 more will receive it. After the initial 10,000, there is a 48-hour waiting period. No one after that receives anything until December 10th at 12AM, which will be 200,000 people. It will continue at 200,000 devices a day until everyone is updated.”

That looks like it. Admittedly I didn't read the whole thing.

Nothing here yet. Pretty awesome of them to be this quick with an update. Loving the Droid so far.

I'm glad I haven't gotten it yet. They way they are rolling out the update makes it so Verizon is using their own customers as beta testers to make sure they don't have problems. There should be no difference in hardware at this point so if there should be no need for the staggered rollout if the update was properly tested.

As a side note, the idea of the phone being faster and more responsive sounds great. I do hate the new lock screen though. What's the deal with the off centered clock and date?

Improved battery life...HELL YES. Anyone get the update yet? How much improved is it?

Yeah, hearing from anyone who already has it would be great. Then again, we'll all have it by the weekend :)

I can't wait for the bluetooth improvements - listening to any audio from the phone over the car stereo is too damn cool.

I haven't gotten it yet. Though I am not where I normally am, so I kind of hope that I don't get it till tomorrow when I am back home.

I'm glad I haven't gotten it yet. They way they are rolling out the update makes it so Verizon is using their own customers as beta testers to make sure they don't have problems. There should be no difference in hardware at this point so if there should be no need for the staggered rollout if the update was properly tested.

As a side note, the idea of the phone being faster and more responsive sounds great. I do hate the new lock screen though. What's the deal with the off centered clock and date?

Its always a good idea to do staggered roll outs when dealing with a large number of people or large areas. A local cable company recently pushed out a cable box upgrade to a large chunk of subscribers. The whole thing (in theory) was fairly bulletproof since this firmware was being used in other areas with no problem. Also they tested it in house with no problems, they waited 24 hours then flipped the switch to push the upgrade out. It bricked every single cable box within 15 minutes.

No firmware is ever 100% perfect :D

I got pushed the midnight update last night. So far things are working fine, haven't noticed too much different yet. I like the look of the new lock screen, as well as the new black widgets. Mine was never really unstable or had bad battery life so I can't comment on that. Taking pictures does seem to be a bit faster, but I never really minded the old speed (well, after the timestamp bug swung back into "temp fixed" for 24.5 days). Haven't really talked on the phone yet so I can't comment about call quality.

Last edited:
I did this and it broght my droid to life man its fast now :) I love this thing best smart phone out there now. And the cool thing is it will only get better :)

Anyone else root theirs yet? I just loaded the root installer (installs thru the recovery menu as well) but I cant seem to get superuser whitelist to work, maybe it's not really rooted yet, su wont work in the terminal but that's because I can't add it to the superuser whitelist. Anyone know how to verify?

I wasn't going to do a force update but I still havent gotten it yet so its making me itch to do the force update lol

Got rid of those annoying extra icons too, root rocks.

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cd /system/app

mv Email.apk Email.bak

mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak

mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak

mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak

mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

sync

reboot

Got the update this morning. So far everything is ok. It does seem snappier.

Mine had the update message this morning when I got up. No issues with the update. So much faster to update then my iPhone 3G ever was. I like the new locked screen. All my other apps have no issues so far.

received the update when i rolled out of bed. seems fine so far, new unlock screen is cool.

Is the camera working better after the update?

Works faster for me. The long 'pause' after you hit the shutter has been cut by 1/4 or something. As far as the quality goes, it's about the same - great in light, pretty horrible in darkness.

Back