Motion blur/Ghosting: U3011 vs zr30w?

Nvidia_ATI

Limp Gawd
I got the U3011 a month ago and have issues with the motion blurring which I believe is due to the pixel response time. I notice blurring during fast paced action in movies on DVD and when panning or looking around in FPS. In fact any medium paced movement of my mouse in FPS games causes blurring which makes me dizzy. How does the zr30w compare? Is the motion blur less noticeable? I am really upset that the U3011 performance has been disappointing because I spent $1300 to purchase it. I know that the zr30w has a lower input lag than the U3011, but that does not bother me. It is the motion blurring / ghosting that is driving me nuts!

Will there be any significant benefit to moving to a 120Hz TN panel? My reluctance to go this route is the poor color rendition and viewing angles of TN panels.

What monitor did you have before?

Just throwing it out there, but is it possible that the sheer size of the panel and the blurring are conspiring to cause your dizziness?

A 23" 120hz panel may help in this regard. They do reduce blurring, but it's still there. That plus the smaller size may help you.

10e, thanks for your response. I had a 6 year old 24" Dell 2405 FPW monitor with a 1900x1200 resolution. The main reason for building my new rig was to play games at 2560x1600 on max settings. This blurring has been very irritating. How much less is the blurring on the 120 hz panel you suggested? Will it be up to 50% improvement? Is it worth considering a 27" 120 hz panel?

The ZR30W is the fastest 30" ips panel atm. I do not notice any ghosting at all for movies or gaming.

The ZR30W is the fastest 30" ips panel atm. I do not notice any ghosting at all for movies or gaming.

I think I read somewhare that the zr30w and u3011 use the same LG panel. Is this correct? If so, they should have the same pixel response time and similar motion blurring.

I think I read somewhare that the zr30w and u3011 use the same LG panel. Is this correct? If so, they should have the same pixel response time and similar motion blurring.

Same panel, but the ZR30W has no OSD. Therefore, less input lag.

10e, thanks for your response. I had a 6 year old 24" Dell 2405 FPW monitor with a 1900x1200 resolution. The main reason for building my new rig was to play games at 2560x1600 on max settings. This blurring has been very irritating. How much less is the blurring on the 120 hz panel you suggested? Will it be up to 50% improvement? Is it worth considering a 27" 120 hz panel?

The 2405FPW is slower and has worse blurring than the U3011. I don't have a U3011 but I had a 3008WFP and now have an NEC 30". I've seen the 2405FPW in action and found it was worse for that than almost any modern IPS panel.

Why not try this to see if you can isolate the issue:

Try the following on a game that is the worst in terms of affecting you and making you sick.

Grab a barf bucket :D (I kid).

Set your video card to not do any scaling by using centred timings and enabling 1:1 pixel mapping on the screen. We want to use less screen real estate to do a test here.

Set a game to run in a different resolution like 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. You should have large black bars around the gaming image if the above was done correctly.

Play the game for some period of time on the smaller virtual screen.

See how you feel.

If it doesn't bother you, and you aren't getting sick, it's the size of the screen in combo with the blurring (or some other effect). If it's still bothering you, something else is up.

I heard of people getting sick from blurring but only when they changed from CRT to LCD :rolleyes:

2405fpw is slower than U3011 so this shouldn't be an issue...
maybe it's some frame skipping rather than response time? :confused:

I heard of people getting sick from blurring but only when they changed from CRT to LCD :rolleyes:

2405fpw is slower than U3011 so this shouldn't be an issue...
maybe it's some frame skipping rather than response time? :confused:

Two games that have the worst blurring are Resident Evil 5 and Crysis warhead. I picked settings to ensure that I have over 60 fps (130fps for Resident Evil 5) while playing. So I do not think skipped frames is the problem.

My ZR30w blurs a lot less than other monitors I've seen and owned.. Much clearer in my opinion. But perhaps its the blur plus the size. Try out that test with the 1:1 scaling, perhaps 30" is too big for you.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. 10e, I tried 1:1 pixel mapping and centered timings as you suggested but the blurring was still very obvious and annoying. I checked the blurring on my old dell 2405FPW and saw it was similar to the u3011. I hoped that the u3011 will be better considering it cost $1300 :-(

Is it possible the blurring is made worse by my video card? I am using a pair of MSI lightning XE 3gb cards and get well over 100fps so I do not think the cards are the problem. Perhaps I have become more conscious of motion blur because I just built my system for a tidy sum and want the best performance. I am quite befuddled at the moment.

Is the motion blur produced by a 27" 120hz panel significantly less than the u3011? I am seriously considering purchasing one for fast FPS games.

Do you know if Resident Evil 5 is particularly bad with motion blur? It is the game that I have noticed to be almost unplayable with everything apart from the gun out of focus when I make even relatively slow movements.

Two games that have the worst blurring are Resident Evil 5 and Crysis warhead.

In case you didn't know, CRYSIS has motion blurr as a video setting. If I remember correctly a significant amount is applied by default when you install the game. I think WARHEAD was the same; not shure - it's been some time since I played it. You may want to check for this. Uses a slider in the setting's somewhere that can be set to zero.

In-game motion blur looks pretty different from response time blurring.

Don't know how people could confuse them.

Yeah, that's probably not it but who knows! Maybe you just have a defective unit.

I'm scared of buying a U2410 now. This makes me have second thoughts. :(

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. 10e, I tried 1:1 pixel mapping and centered timings as you suggested but the blurring was still very obvious and annoying. I checked the blurring on my old dell 2405FPW and saw it was similar to the u3011. I hoped that the u3011 will be better considering it cost $1300 :-(

Is it possible the blurring is made worse by my video card? I am using a pair of MSI lightning XE 3gb cards and get well over 100fps so I do not think the cards are the problem. Perhaps I have become more conscious of motion blur because I just built my system for a tidy sum and want the best performance. I am quite befuddled at the moment.

Is the motion blur produced by a 27" 120hz panel significantly less than the u3011? I am seriously considering purchasing one for fast FPS games.

Do you know if Resident Evil 5 is particularly bad with motion blur? It is the game that I have noticed to be almost unplayable with everything apart from the gun out of focus when I make even relatively slow movements.

Did you also try it with a lower resolution like 1920x1200?

The whole point was to see if there is an issue of the panel size together with the blur.

I don't know. The U3011 should have less blurring than a 2405FPW.

I don't think a 27" 120hz panel will have significantly less, although it will be less.

Are you sure it's not tearing that's bothering you? I can't see how this effect didn't bother you with a 2405FPW unless it's the physical screen size that's causing the issue (30" versus 24").

I believe this is pretty accurate, though I haven't tested a 120hz lcd yet personally I do have a 27" ACD and a fw900 crt, so I have a good idea of the two extremes.

lcd-blur.jpg

The blur is definitely there though you can try to ignore it, but I think it may perhaps be more obvious on a monitor that fills more of the FoV of your own eyes, almost like "motion sickness" in a imax theater.
I also notice it more on the most modern games with very high detail textures enabled since I have a gpu that can handle close to ultra/max settings better now. With my eyes locked in on scenes/environments filled with extremely high detail textures, blurring floods/washes all those textures out on fast in-game FoV movement. It would be less extreme (on my eyes at least) on low detail textures. High detail textures are like having fine text typed all over the 3d surfaces almost.. any blurring destroys that kind of detail and can cause eyestrain - since your eyes always try to ratchet their focus down to remove blur.
In rpg's I've found it lessened when I turn the smart camera off, so that I can move my character's path of travel independently from free-looking with my mouse without it automatically panning back to front every time. So I can travel and turn the camera like a turret on a tank to some random over the shoulder angles and stop there while still traveling. It cuts down on the FoV changing/swimming all the time if you get what I mean.

Back