Motherboards with D0 stepping support stock?

WalkedAirplane

Limp Gawd
Looking to pickup a D0 later today, and need a motherboard to go with it. Thing is, I dont have any other i7 processor to flash bios with if an update is needed.

Are there any motherboards that dont need an update? Google is being notably unhelpful on this one!

You're good. I don't think any mobo requires a flash to support the new stepping.

Oh, really? Excellent.

I swear I saw a few mentions somewhere that some of them did require an update.

Guess I'm picking up my i7 later today, once my car is out of the shop and I can verify I didnt get reamed! :p

Looking to pickup a D0 later today, and need a motherboard to go with it. Thing is, I dont have any other i7 processor to flash bios with if an update is needed.

Are there any motherboards that dont need an update? Google is being notably unhelpful on this one!

I was wondering the same thing. I thought I'd read some reviews that certain bioses didn't support D0 CPUs...Hopefully that's not the case!

I just built a rig with a D0 i7 920. I went with the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P for my mobo.

Everything works perfectly right out of the box. I'm not sure what my BIOS version is (I haven't gotten around to updating it yet), but whatever version it is, it's working great so far.

I just built a rig with a D0 i7 920. I went with the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P for my mobo.

Everything works perfectly right out of the box. I'm not sure what my BIOS version is (I haven't gotten around to updating it yet), but whatever version it is, it's working great so far.

Good to hear. I had bought that motherboard as well but haven't got any of the other components yet (CPU, RAM).

Does anyone know if the Xeon W3520 works on the UD4P?

Tbh I've never heard of a motherboard needing a bios update to support a new stepping of an existing processor model.
An update to support newer processor models of the same socket type, yes, but never for a stepping.

Some motherboard BIOSes read the CPU model incorrectly when they aren't programmed to recognize a newer stepping, but I've never heard of a case where the board outright did not work with a new stepping. You should be fine with whatever board you choose.

considering that the only changes are the serial number orientation and the cpuid number has been update, i seriously doubt you will need a bios update.

I can't speak for him, but I just got a DO from Newegg, too. Batch #: 3845B261, Pack Date: 05/11/09.

Nice! The B batch of 3845 seems to OC really well. How is yours doing? Hopefully you will reach 4.4-4.8 average on water and a guy at XS got his all the way to like 5Ghz on water!

Last edited:
I've got doubts on 4.4-4.8 air for priming stability. My D0 supposedly comes from a good batch 3846B109, pack date February I think, I got it to boot Vista 64 at 4.0GHz last night didn't really have to try hard. 1.25 vcore -1.31vtt. I can say D0s achieve good numbers with less volts.

Had the sucker running 3.6 stock volts, but again, OCCT hot like a mofo. Unfortunately I won't have any results to post, I've got my chip in a micro atx tower with 2 SLOW fans. Bad cooling situation for now. Next week case arrives.

Freaking economy has me upgrading bit by bit.

Yeah, I'm talking about watercooling...sorry for the uncleared wordings! Just made the correction....

Well, picked up a D0 today.

SLBEJ
Batch: 3849A866

We'll see how it does on water later this month once I've got it all together :)

I have a C0/C1 now. Batch # 3839A578 Dunno how good these OC but would a D0 be better than these?

Back