Motherboards (Supporting Crossfire)

krotch

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't really care about the Crossfire support, but I just had one general question, if anyone can help out.

It is possible to have just one video card on the bottom 16x PCIe slot? I'm using a Lian Li V2000B case. I'm planning on upgrading to the Asus i975 board, that supports Crossfire. I was hoping that I could just use the bottom PCIe slot for the vidcard, cause on the case, the mobo sits upside down. If I had this config, the vidcard would sit closer to the top and the hot air would go right out the top and back of the case.

Yes, you can run it in the other slot, however it might only run at x8 bandwidth. That being said, it shouldn't have a performance hit (or at least not a very big one depending on the card).

I was going to upgrade my whole setup and was looking at a 7900GTX or 7950 GX2. Been on my current setup too long.

I don't know about all boards, but the Asus boards only run 8x if you run a card in both slots, so 1 card, you will get full 16x.

But from what I have heard is you don't want to run an ATI card in an SLI board and you don't want to run a Nvidia card in a Crossfire board... True or False, I cannot say myself.

I've ran the odd Nvidia card with my A8R32-MVP and it was fine. I've done the vise-versa with running ATi cards in an A8N-SLI and it was fine as well. Though my results were positive, others will vary.

fireluxx said:
I've ran the odd Nvidia card with my A8R32-MVP and it was fine. I've done the vise-versa with running ATi cards in an A8N-SLI and it was fine as well. Though my results were positive, others will vary.

Ya I nobody said they didn't work, just said that they is a noticable performance drop.

Just curious now, can you run a Crossfire setup in a SLI board and SLI setup in a Crossfire board? I mean the two cards, 8x each setup properly?

The board I want uses an Intel 975 chipset. It's not using an ATI Crossfire chipset, but it does support Crossfire. Too bad it doesn't support SLI. Oh well, not like I'd be able to make use of SLI right now, with my crap 17" LCD monitor.

As for SLI, SLI is only supported under Nvidia SLI chipsets, cept the 7950GX2. Course there are ppl who mod non-SLI Nvidia chipsets to run SLI. Not much point anymore as a non-SLI board costs about as much as an SLI board.

When running single cards, there is NO difference in running an Nvidia card in an ATI chipset vs. Nvidia chipset and vice versa. The only difference is when you run more than 1 card in either crossfire or SLI.

You can run an Nvidia card in a crossfire board.
You can run an ATI card in an SLI board

You cannot run SLI in an ATI crossfire board.
You cannot run Crossfire in an Nvidia SLI board.

(the last two, of course, can be accomplished in very, very few cases with hacked hardware and drivers).

There was a patch that allowed ULi chipsets to use SLI technology. However, Nvidia was quick to disable that feature.

Back