Motherboard wont stay turned off?

Jsalpha2

Limp Gawd
MSI B85M-E45 Starts by itself. When I shut it down it starts back up unless I turn the power supply off.
I tried unplugging the front panel connectors and it still happens. Updated bios and set to defaults, still happens.
Processor is G3258 and was in the board when I got it.
My next steps are to take it out of the case to see if I/O shield could be causing problems? Shorting?
See if motherboard will work out of the case? Don't think screwed in too tight.
Look for bent pins on processor?
Any ideas?

In the bios check to see if there's a setting for what happens after a power loss. Maybe something is screwy there? Other than that, I'd guess a short somewhere.

I would guess something under the mobo against the case as well. Possible it's bad PSU wiring on the main 24-pin connection - short there / worn insulation / bad harness / etc

I would guess something under the mobo against the case as well
Yup, my experience is the same, a short somewhere.

Also, I don't know much about that mobo and CPU, but is that Pentium overclocked? Are the mobo settings at default? Also in my experience, pumped up voltages can keep a mobo from shutting down correctly.

Pulled motherboard out and looked at case. Nothing looked wrong. Put it back together and it won't do anything now. No fans spin, no lights, no beeps. Tried a different power supply, same thing.
Going to take the battery out and quit for now. Maybe when I put the battery back it will be a miracle.

Took the battery out and set it aside and forgot about it. Today followed pendragon1 suggestion and it started fine. Put it back in the case and it is running fine. Not sure what happened
but have a good little system now that I wanted to take a sledge hammer to!

ive seen dead cmos batteries cause all sorts of funkiness over the years. on an older board its usually my first suggestion. glad you got it goin, hope it keeps working.

Back