Motherboard with dual gbit + jumbo frames?

I wasn't sure if I should have placed this in the motherboards section or in the networking section, but I'm looking for a motherboard that has dual gbit nics that both support jumbo frames (ideally 9000 or higher). Ideally the price would be ~$100, have strong linux/bsd support, and has 4+ SATA ports. If such a motherboard doesn't exist in dual form, one gbit with jumbo frames would be a start. No AMD/Intel preference.

hokatichenci said:
I wasn't sure if I should have placed this in the motherboards section or in the networking section, but I'm looking for a motherboard that has dual gbit nics that both support jumbo frames (ideally 9000 or higher). Ideally the price would be ~$100, have strong linux/bsd support, and has 4+ SATA ports. If such a motherboard doesn't exist in dual form, one gbit with jumbo frames would be a start. No AMD/Intel preference.

Mine does, and it's dual. I have it on a Gigabit switch along with a laptop with gigabit and a laptop running 100Mbps.

It isn't exactly a ringing endorsement though, currently, since the whole box is down. To be fair though, I'm now thinking it isn't the motherboard. When it was up and I wasn't screwing with it, it worked great.

Anandtech nforce4 ethernet performance, notes about Jumbo Frames and active armor

Thanks, the whole point of this venture is to attempt to build a high performance/high availability fileserver cluster using off the shelf cheapass parts. Do you know if both the NIC's in that motherboard support jumbo frames or just one? Do you also know how high they go?

At least up to 9K frames, but I don't know how high. nVidia's website has some good information on the nForce4. Unfortunately, I cannot say 100% if both NICs support jumbo frames, but I would say 98%.

You could probably do better with another nForce4 board, and get it cheaper. This one supports SLI, which would be a money wasted for a cluster/fileserver.

Caffeinated said:
At least up to 9K frames, but I don't know how high. nVidia's website has some good information on the nForce4. Unfortunately, I cannot say 100% if both NICs support jumbo frames, but I would say 98%.

You could probably do better with another nForce4 board, and get it cheaper. This one supports SLI, which would be a money wasted for a cluster/fileserver.

The idea is that 4-8 disks can easily saturate a single gbit line, but it'd be a lot happier over two gigabit nic's that are bonded/aggregated. Since the cost is pretty low ($80 ayup!) I don't really care about other features. If it were say a $150 board with all the other features I'd dump it, but the cost is right so :) The only problem is that I can't find anything really specific about the motherboard like a manual. It seems eVGA doesn't happily make available any manuals, which is a big downside since I always prefer to read the manual for any product before I purchase it.

Back