Motherboard/Vidcard up in smoke

sarro

n00b
So I finally got around to replacing my buggy nforce2 Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with an Abit NF7-S2 ( http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=204 ). After setting everything up and turning the system on nothing showed on the monitor. I tried to start it up a second time and thats when I noticed smoke coming from around the video card... :eek:

The mobo's manual says not to use 3.3v video cards, but I have no idea if the ATi Radeon 9700Pro is 1.5 or 3.3 and cannot find a specific answer.

So did I fry my video card, motherboard, or both?

specs:

AMD Athlon 2600+
Abit NF7-S2
512x2 OCZ Plat.Rev.2
BBA Radeon 9700Pro
Antec 430True

The 9700 Pro will work with 1.5v or 3.3v slots, and it should have worked fine with that board.

Well, it looks like the first two [orange] wires on the ATX power connector were burnt (yellowish) , but I have no idea why.
Anyone?

This is -shroomz- a.k.a. Bob. lol small freakin world man. :cool:

Damn dude I hope you get yer shit fixed. Drop me a line on the T@ forums.

hmm not sure. orange is 3.3v. Did you plug in the floppy molex for the video card (does it have one?)

Do you have a different psu to test with? Can you jumper the psu on (short green and black with paperclip). Maybe the board was a dud? Hope it didn't take out much equipment

Back