Motherboard USB splitter?

CEO_OF_CBT

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Assembled my system in the O11 Dynamic but found out there's two USB 3 headers for the chassis ports. While my motherboard only has one header.

Is there an adapter that splits an internal USB3.0 header into two? The only ones I could find online are from shops that have skyhigh shipping price for just one item.

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this one you found?
https://www.frozencpu.com/products/...n0MqrrKXtgA1Vu6T2u4X4BmahkaAqeeEALw_wcB#blank

Description is kinda cryptic but it sounds like even though you can split the USB3 header, you can only use 2 devices at a time.

You could also add a card and plug the second cable into the card.
https://www.amazon.com/SupaHub-Expa...ld=1&keywords=usb3+pcie&qid=1596449556&sr=8-6

Yeah, Frozen and PPCS are the only store that carries those splitter when I searched up. I guess the item isn't common.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/20-Pin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-12cm.html
Same as the frozen one but less than half the price.

Issue is, it physically ties both ports together, so you can't use the normal USB while using the usb-c. I can't believe nobody makes an internal USB 3 hub that does this, seems super simple. Other option is the pcie add on board, which is probably more legit.

Thanks, I completely missed this one.

So, even if both USB cables in the case are hooked up to that splitter, only two is usable at a time?

Only usable two at a time for data (with the other remaining two still delivering power) or also power (if two is plugged in, the unused usb ports will completely receive no data and power)?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, Frozen and PPCS are the only store that carries those splitter when I searched up. I guess the item isn't common.

Thanks, I completely missed this one.

So, even if both USB cables in the case are hooked up to that splitter, only two is usable at a time?

Only usable two at a time for data (with the other remaining two still delivering power) or also power (if two is plugged in, the unused usb ports will completely receive no data and power)?
Basically, the data cables being just split like that with no hub to control data flow would cause the devices to interfere (whichever ports are tied together). I haven't tested one out, possibly it splits it so each split only gets physically attached to one set of data lines? That would render 1/2 port unusable for data (normally you have 2 ports per USB 3.1 gen 1 header). Either way, not optimal. You really would want an internal 3.1 hub that splits the data properly. I've seen USB 2.0 internal hubs (active splitter), but no luck with USB 3.

So this exists, or at least existed. I can't find it in stock anywhere so good luck.

https://www.sabrent.com/product/HB-INTR/5-port-internal-usb-3-0-hub-controller/

IMO this is a non-issue, I know I wouldn't be trying to use 3 USB3 A devices all at one time.
That's what I was trying to find, something along that design. It's not just about using 3 USB a, the USB c would interfere with one of the USB a ports. I mean, as long as you know what's what and don't mind, it could work for you. I bought a new MB for my son's PC because his case had a usb-c on the front so h can use it, hard to find MBs with gen 2 headers, lol. Almost just bought a gen 1 to gen 2 adapter, but I was upgrading his PC anyways.

Basically, the data cables being just split like that with no hub to control data flow would cause the devices to interfere (whichever ports are tied together). I haven't tested one out, possibly it splits it so each split only gets physically attached to one set of data lines? That would render 1/2 port unusable for data (normally you have 2 ports per USB 3.1 gen 1 header). Either way, not optimal. You really would want an internal 3.1 hub that splits the data properly. I've seen USB 2.0 internal hubs (active splitter), but no luck with USB 3.

Would splitting without a hub cause some sort of electrical short? Or other hazards?

If by the chance 4/4 is usable would there be a signficant bandwidth penalty/overhead somewhere?

So this exists, or at least existed. I can't find it in stock anywhere so good luck.

https://www.sabrent.com/product/HB-INTR/5-port-internal-usb-3-0-hub-controller/

IMO this is a non-issue, I know I wouldn't be trying to use 3 USB3 A devices all at one time.
That's what I was trying to find, something along that design. It's not just about using 3 USB a, the USB c would interfere with one of the USB a ports. I mean, as long as you know what's what and don't mind, it could work for you. I bought a new MB for my son's PC because his case had a usb-c on the front so h can use it, hard to find MBs with gen 2 headers, lol. Almost just bought a gen 1 to gen 2 adapter, but I was upgrading his PC anyways.

I wonder what made the company stop making the internal usb3 splitter?

Would splitting without a hub cause some sort of electrical short? Or other hazards?

If by the chance 4/4 is usable would there be a signficant bandwidth penalty/overhead somewhere?

I wonder what made the company stop making the internal usb3 splitter?
Very hard to say to much without having one to ohm out, but most likely it would just cause both devices to disconnect. Data lines normally will just cause interference but not physical damage. May want to do some search on reviews of something though to see what kind of deal world issues people have had.

Not sure why they stopped, maybe not enough $? Almost makes me want to go ahead and make my own... Wonder how much USB 3.1 hub IC chips are going for now.

The 4/4 won't be available with just a cable splitter. It'll be 2/4, but on a good note those 2 would be full speed ;). A hub would give you 4/4 but shared speed, so if you only plug 2 things in, basically full speed (minus a tiny bit of overhead), if you plug 4 things in they would slow down if you tried to hammer all 4 at once.

Very hard to say to much without having one to ohm out, but most likely it would just cause both devices to disconnect. Data lines normally will just cause interference but not physical damage. May want to do some search on reviews of something though to see what kind of deal world issues people have had.

Not sure why they stopped, maybe not enough $? Almost makes me want to go ahead and make my own... Wonder how much USB 3.1 hub IC chips are going for now.

The 4/4 won't be available with just a cable splitter. It'll be 2/4, but on a good note those 2 would be full speed ;). A hub would give you 4/4 but shared speed, so if you only plug 2 things in, basically full speed (minus a tiny bit of overhead), if you plug 4 things in they would slow down if you tried to hammer all 4 at once.

Ahh ok, thanks for the insight.

Going to try that cable, worth a shot so maybe the bottom USB ports isn't useless.

Maybe I'll contact the company who made it previously, maybe they still have some for sale in the backlog inventory.

That's a USB 2.0 huh, not 3.0
Good Luck in your search. I do not think that somebody will create USB 3.0 or next one for internal connections. If you need more USB 3.0 then think for PCI-E card with more ports. Or just do not use case USB 3 connector.

My 011 doesn’t have two usb 3 headers. One is usb 3 and one is a type c header.

Back