Motherboard Upgrade for IBM ThinkCentre S50?

les_garten

Limp Gawd
I have a little IBM thinkCentre S50 8183-VR4 in my garage.

It is a P4 with a decent Video card in it hooked up to a 32" LCD TV that does really well at 1080P over HDMI.

Problem is, it has some issues trying to do Youtube videos that I use for Garage kinda stuff like home or auto repairs or general DIY stuff.

I like the little S50 and would like to know if some of the other Core 2 motherboards from very similar form factor Lenovo's or IBM's would work in this case?

IIRC, the S50 through M55p SFF/Desktop style ThinkCentres were the same dimensions, used the same power button FRU and PSU FRU....I never tried or guarantee it would work.

Off-hand I would think it's quite possible you could upgrade the S50 to an M55p (Type 8808) board and a lower-end C2D (E6300 or E6600) Conroe based system.

Though it would likely be less headache to get a full used Lenovo SFF for around $100 though.

GL!

IIRC, the S50 through M55p SFF/Desktop style ThinkCentres were the same dimensions, used the same power button FRU and PSU FRU....I never tried or guarantee it would work.

Off-hand I would think it's quite possible you could upgrade the S50 to an M55p (Type 8808) board and a lower-end C2D (E6300 or E6600) Conroe based system.

Though it would likely be less headache to get a full used Lenovo SFF for around $100 though.

GL!

Thanx! I'm seeing some pretty good prices on Lenovo i3 and i5's.

Back