motherboard testing on top of paper on carpet

buildornot

Weaksauce
I know I'm not supposed to test a motherboard on carpet, so I put a sheet of paper on the carpet, and then the anti static bag it came in on top of that, then I put the motherboard on it.

I thought that should be good until I just came across someone's comment online that I should "never" place it on top of the anti static bag it came in. Is this wrong?

EDIT: So it seems like testing a powered mobo on top of the anti static bag is bad. If I get rid of that and just test it on top of the sheet of paper on carpet, would that be better?

Also, I wanted to test whether just my new mobo and cpu are working, so I installed the cpu and heatsink and will connect the PSU later. What should I look out for to see if everything's functional? I can't seem to find any definitive guide online, and most seem to target testing failed motherboards and cpus, not new ones.

Use either the motherboard box or a sheet of cardboard (or even a thin piece of plywood or paneling) to set the board on when testing it.

Keep the motherboard away from any source of static, dont bring sources of static to the motherboard.
Dont place the motherboard on anything that conducts.

Static electricity can jump through paper.
You broke both the above.

Is there anything wrong with your tables?

The anti-static bag is conductive, is can kill the mobo.

I have a few rigs running in the box the mobo came in.

Paper, cardboard, wood, plastic would also be fine.

Use either the motherboard box or a sheet of cardboard (or even a thin piece of plywood or paneling) to set the board on when testing it.

Keep the motherboard away from any source of static, dont bring sources of static to the motherboard.
Dont place the motherboard on anything that conducts.

Static electricity can jump through paper.
You broke both the above.

Is there anything wrong with your tables?

Got it. I don't have any space on my tables currently, but I'll have to make some now!

The anti-static bag is conductive, is can kill the mobo.

I have a few rigs running in the box the mobo came in.

Paper, cardboard, wood, plastic would also be fine.

Thanks everyone!

I'm testing an Asus z87-a. Apparently there are cpu, ram, and vga led lights on the board. Are these an alternative test to the beeping test?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
uh, pretty sure an anti-static mat you would run into the same issue as the antistatic bag...

Plug the mat into a ground.
Put a piece of wood on the mat.
Put the motherboard on the wood.

Back