Motherboard suggestion

Ouikikazz

Gawd
I'm in the market to buy a new motherboard and processor...leaning towards Intel Core i5-4460 processor...I'm looking for a reliable motherboard for basic usage nothing crazy, I do zero gaming but do a lot of movie watching and some photo editing and office work on the computer. Going to search around for a cheap graphics card that can support 3 monitors too, so I really don't need any SLI support. I keep getting sucked into all these high end z97 boards but I feel it's a complete waste for me. Honestly if I can watch blu-ray and 1080p video on my computer smoothly, then it is way more than enough. Can someone suggest me a good board that isn't old tech either, been looking at the gigabyte ud series but feel that may be just a marketing ploy

I think you're right. I usually pick mobo based on what I need from it. At the moment the cheapest mobo you can find will probably do, but make sure you have enough sata ports for your drives, sata3 if you have sata3 drives, raid support if you need it, maybe a 7.1 sound system, usb3, stuff like that. I believe it all depends on the batch, so a cheap bord might not be a bad idea. Just buy one with warranty that suits your needs.

Personally, I'm looking into Intel n3000 series (broadwell) at the moment, and I'd really like to build a fanless, m-ITX pc with a discrete video card. Asrock has a few mobos out, but none suits my needs. Asus has one that would be nice, but is based on older j1800 series. No heating, no big Electric bill, no noise from wents, no dust to clean. Sounds great to me. I also found a Palit GT720 passive video card with GDDR5 for sale, which should have enough power and bandwith to run anything on low/medium details. In your case, you don't even need the gpu, Intel hd graphics with dual channel ram should run even 4k videos smoothly...

Last edited:
I think you're right. I usually pick mobo based on what I need from it. At the moment the cheapest mobo you can find will probably do, but make sure you have enough sata ports for your drives, sata3 if you have sata3 drives, raid support if you need it, maybe a 7.1 sound system, usb3, stuff like that. I believe it all depends on the batch, so a cheap bord might not be a bad idea. Just buy one with warranty that suits your needs.

Personally, I'm looking into Intel n3000 series (broadwell) at the moment, and I'd really like to build a fanless, m-ITX pc with a discrete video card. Asrock has a few mobos out, but none suits my needs. Asus has one that would be nice, but is based on older j1800 series. No heating, no big Electric bill, no noise from wents, no dust to clean. Sounds great to me. I also found a Palit GT720 passive video card with GDDR5 for sale, which should have enough power and bandwith to run anything on low/medium details. In your case, you don't even need the gpu, Intel hd graphics with dual channel ram should run even 4k videos smoothly...

The only need for a video card is the need to run 3 display port monitors :(

For what you're going, anything can cover your needs. I just built a new system, the one I have right now and the old system which I built in 2006, I use it for the same purposes that you want.

At this point, get the motherboard that you consider is good for those needs BUT make sure it's ready for the processor you're gonna be installing. Haswell ready.

I'm not sure if these days updating the BIOS w/o the CPU is possible in all boards but my Z97 has that feature. So many brands, so many of their own proprietary features.

This here is the best rated board, and maybe inexpensive for your budget: ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1

i figure by the time i'm ready to build another computer a few years down,no matter what board i buy it'd be outdated to the point a bios upgrade wouldn't help :( damn technology

The only need for a video card is the need to run 3 display port monitors :(

Google "asrock beebox". I almost bought it myself, but I would like to play games aswell, so need to wait for that same mobo that has PCIE X16 slot on it. It's really affordable.

Google "asrock beebox". I almost bought it myself, but I would like to play games aswell, so need to wait for that same mobo that has PCIE X16 slot on it. It's really affordable.

i'm leaning towards spending more for a better CPU, I still do play around with some video and graphic editing here and there (not often enough to get a super graphics card though) and it'd be nice also to have a decent CPU to last me another 5-8 years

i'm looking at the asus gryphon z97 and skipping a vid card altogether...i'm just confused and unsure if i'd be able to run 2 monitors off the displayport and use the hdmi for my TV (3 displays altogether)

Back