Motherboard says it can take 1Rx8 modules.... Can it take 1Rx4??

Warrior

[H]F Junkie
I got a bunch of Samsung 1Rx4 8GB ECC DDR4 modules, and I acquired a Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P

Now, the board manual, and product page, both state that it can take ECC memory modules, and be in non-ECC mode. It also says 1Rx8/2Rx8... And the manual also lists a bunch of 1/2Rx8 sticks as well....again, I have 1Rx4 sticks... And, it says nothing about them.

I would Like to sell the board and ram as a package...

So, as you may already realize, I wondering if my sticks will work with the board. Will this work?

Last edited:
For funzies, tonight I will see if the sticks work in my Asrock Z170 Extreme 7+....

I would not expect it to work with REG ECC since no lga-1151 processor supports reg ecc. The board can take ECC UDIMMS because E3 lga-1151 xeons take unbuffered ECC.

Actually, the motherboard manufacturers do not recommend the use of any memory modules with more than eight ICs per rank on their consumer or enthusiast motherboards. If you do this, you might end up with only half the RAM detected in the BIOS or EFI.

And the "R" in "1Rx4" does not mean "registered", in this case. "1Rx4" indicates "single-ranked using x4 (4-bit) IC's. Such a module has a whopping 16 IC chips (plus two extra for the ECC function) but uses only one single rank on the memory controller. Likewise, 2Rx4 means "double-ranked using x4 ICs"; it uses all of 32 to 36 IC chips and uses two ranks on the CPU's memory controller. 1Rx8 and 2Rx8 mean "single-ranked using x8 ICs" and "double-ranked using x8 ICs", respectively; they use only eight or nine IC chips per rank. Those latter two are what you should have gotten if you were going to use them on a Z170-based system.

By the way, the 1Rx4 (and 2Rx4) DDR4 memory modules are intended for use in servers only. This means that you'll need a server motherboard based on a server chipset in order to utilize this RAM. And if those modules are registered, then you will need a Socket 2011 v3 motherboard based on an Intel server chipset (not the X99 chipset) plus an Intel Xeon E5-#### v3 CPU in order to utilize this RAM.

Last edited:
Good morning:

Excuse me if I butt into this thread but as I see that you have the memory configuration conundrum figured out, I'd be very obliged if you'd help me out.

I have a Sun Ultra 24 WS and I need to take it from the OEM 4Gb configuration to the 8Gb max., the reason being my wanting to set up a couple of VMs.
I have already ordered the proper CPU as the OEM one (Q8200) does not support virtualization.

The installed OEM memory (used in pairs) has this specification:

Micron MT9HTF12872AY-667E1
1GB 1RX8 PC-2-5300E DDR2 667 CL5 ECC
240-Pin DIMM Single Rank Unbuffered Memory Module
It has 9 chips on one side only.
The Micron data sheet says it is 128x72.

The OEM upgrade memory (used in pairs) has this specification:

2GB DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 256x72 CL5 1.8v 240 Pin ECC DIMM Dual Rank 256x72.

My doubt is this: does the memory layout 'have' to be ***x72?

I have seen non-OEM modules that are said to work but I don't know what specs I have to watch.

Thanks in advance,

U24.

Back