Motherboard Repair

Jayskilz

n00b
I damage my motherboard by dropping my screwdriver and wanted to know if it looks as if I can possibly repair it the screwdriver hit the HP_PWR chip pretty hard
5DF46577-9B6D-4587-B637-235503903F8A.jpeg
I am new to the forum and want to become an active member as well in the community because I have been working with computers as a hobby for the majority of my life and would like to learn from everyone

If you have to ask the answer is no.
Have you tried it? Some damage to the package of some random chip is likely not a big deal. Most failures nowadays are graceful, as in it won't destroy your cpu ram and GPU, while lighting on fire and burning your house down. Not like forgetting to install a cpu heatsink on your brand new socket A Athlon.....

If you can get hold of a replacement chip, as Master Shake said, it can be replaced.
This is the level of what is needed to pull off the repair because that chip looks toast.

This is assuming it no longer functions though.
If it does work, ignore the issue and plough on.

edit
From what I can find it looks like that IC is a PWM fan controller for the CPU fan.
If it is screwed it shouldnt affect use of the board in the slightest, as long as you can get along without using the CPU fan header.

ps the IC is labelled DAU1 on the motherboard.
HP_PWR is for a connector that doesnt look related.

Last edited:
The "HP_PWR" is related to those test points. 1155 boards are pretty cheap used.

Back