Motherboard Question: What AGP version do I have?

RicePapi

Limp Gawd
Hiya guys. I'd like to upgrade my onboard video to a dedicated AGP video card. I've read on several boards that AGP has two versions, AGP v1.0 (on older motherboards) and AGP v2.0 (on fairly recent motherboards).

I've read that if I use an agp card that's v2.0 - and IF my motherboard only has an agp slot that's v1.0 - it might fry up my computer.

I've searched high and low for my motherboard information, but I can't specs anywhere. Compaq Presario 6000 AMD Athlon 1900+

Yup, it's an old computer. A friend gave it to me a year ago, so I'm not sure what kind of agp slot it has. The last thing I want to do is plug in an agp card that it can't handle, and mess up the computer.

Please help!

I was going to recommend Everest, but I guess they no longer offer a free version of their software. However, if you find a program that will give you all the details about your computer you can use that to figure out which version AGP you're mobo supports.

However, you can usually get great deals on new computers from dell for around $350+ and if you have a coupon that'll help even more. Might be a wiser option then spending $100 on an AGP card.

Well, I'm finding agp cards like Radeon 9550's for $30 bucks shipped. Can you give me more details about the different versions of agp? Do they really have to be compatible?

I really don't think that card would fry your motherboard. If that's all you need then by all means go with what works

Most of the AGP 1.0 computers were a lot older...P2's and stuff like that. You should be fine matching that computer up with that video card.

Back