motherboard only has 3 audio outputs but apparently supports 8 channels - does a PCI bracket or case extension exist?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
I didn't realize when I was at microcenter the lack of ports my ASUS X570 motherboard has. Not sure why since there is a ton of room on the back model.

I'm a bit lazy to return it, but in the event I want to connect 5.1 or even 7.1, is there a good/cheap way to just use the onboard headers and a PCI bracket or something to get the audio jacks? Apparently the motherboard does support 8 channels they just didn't bother adding all the jacks on the back for some reason.

Some motherboards route the additional channels through the Front Audio Header to give the extra Channels I have an old ITX Intel socket 775 board that does that ...
READ THE MANUAL....

Like BlackDragon said, many audio controllers re-purpose their connectors.
On my Aorus board, the line-in is actually a secondary output (in this case, duplicated front stereo-out). However not all connectors can act as other connectors, and in my case the line-in-as-output feature wasn't stated in the manual.
Do install the audio drivers w/panel from your motherboard's manufacturer instead of the default ones, as some options might be missing.

Yes, I read the manual which is where I got the be information about it supporting 8 channels only through the case audio header.

I'm not interested in using my case for the additional jacks, I would rather have it all in the back. Would there be a good solution to just take the front audio headers and route that to a PCI bracket or something? My google searches have been unsuccessful.

I'll accept something that is just a cable that terminates with a 3.5mm female headphone jack as well and frankenstein it at the back of my case.

Otherwise I will accept that I can do 5.1 and maybe just use a USB microphone if I need that.

Knowing the specific model and board revision would help in trying to find any (official or third-party) products which may help in your situation.

The manual literally says to connect the rear speakers to the case lol.

I'm not interested in wrapping the speaker cable around the front of the case. I don't plan on using my audio hookups on my case, which frees it up on the motherboard. All I'm looking for is to mimic what the case does, but with a freeform 3.5mm jack at the end.

I don't have 5.1 or anything like that currently and probably won't soon, I am just asking so I know what I am getting with this motherboard in case I decide to add additional speakers.

Attachments

• mb audio.PNG
    mb audio.PNG
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
I can't find anything for this, but it wouldn't be too hard to throw something together... 2x5 header ribbon cables aren't too hard to find, the pinout is published, and it shouldn't be too hard to stuff that to a 3.5mm jack (and just force the jack sense, if you can't easily get a jack with the sense pin). That said, 5.1 will work with the rear jacks only, you'd only need this for 7.1; and if you don't already have a 5.1/7.1 setup, anything you do now is probably going to do HDMI audio, which is what you really want to do.

Edit: actually a bunch of stuff if you search on aliexpress, stuff like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001274654358.html

There's female to dual male audio header cables, too, if you just want to split the header between the front and rear. Then you would just need an hdaudio/ac97 pci slot + cable.

Run the cables from the pci slot and front panel to the splitter, and connect that to the header.

Edit: should go without saying, but you shouldn't connect devices to the front and rear simultaneously in this config. Best case, audio quality is degraded or volume is reduced. But no telling what else might happen.

I can't find anything for this, but it wouldn't be too hard to throw something together... 2x5 header ribbon cables aren't too hard to find, the pinout is published, and it shouldn't be too hard to stuff that to a 3.5mm jack (and just force the jack sense, if you can't easily get a jack with the sense pin). That said, 5.1 will work with the rear jacks only, you'd only need this for 7.1; and if you don't already have a 5.1/7.1 setup, anything you do now is probably going to do HDMI audio, which is what you really want to do.

Edit: actually a bunch of stuff if you search on aliexpress, stuff like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001274654358.html

Thanks, this is perfect. I will get one or two in case I ever go this route.

I already have a fiber optic HDMI audio setup to my home theater and living room, and I love the effect for gaming that I might want to recreate something similar with extra speakers for when I actually play at my monitor.

Back