Motherboard Makers Are Moving Manufacturing Out of China

I think you need to take a harder look at your numbers. You're tacking on an extra $400 of labor cost per board. If it's $15 more per hour for an American worker, you're claiming over 26 man hours of labor per board.

The reality is probably less than 5 minutes total, including packaging time.

Well it adds up. All your costs are increased. It's not just the labour that the factory employs it's all the suppliers too. If you manufacture in the us your utilities are provided by us companies, who also employs people for us wages. It stacks up very quickly. I have no idea how many man hours is in a single board, but that's just a small part of the cost increases.

Well it adds up. All your costs are increased. It's not just the labour that the factory employs it's all the suppliers too. If you manufacture in the us your utilities are provided by us companies, who also employs people for us wages. It stacks up very quickly. I have no idea how many man hours is in a single board, but that's just a small part of the cost increases.
Certainly the cost of labor is only one part of it, but when you're talking about things like utility costs, you don't really care how much the utility pays its employees. You only care about your cost per kWh. Is electricity in China significantly more expensive than in the US? How much energy is required to manufacture a motherboard? Certainly there's a regulatory cost in the US that you wouldn't have in China.

Back