Motherboard had it?

ldoodle

Limp Gawd
Hi,

As title really. Everything powers on, including fans, but get no post or display.

It's a server board (Tyan Tomcat n3400b). When it was working it used to beep 3 times quickly on post to indicate all ok. It doesn't do that now.

I've tried CMOS jumper, change battery, change PSU, take out all add-on cards and disconnect all powered devices

If I take RAM out I get 6 quick beeps in a loop.

If it has had it, any recommendations? I need at least 2x PCI-E x8 and 1x PCI-E x1 slots. Would like to keep current CPU (Opteron 1000 series) and RAM. It's a home-brew home NAS so very cost-conscious!

Thanks!

(In UK by the way)

try removing the cpu, power cycle, then put it back in. I know it sounds weird but ive have to do that several times over the years after a dead cmos battery. since it beeping with no ram there may be life left in it, id keep trying.

try removing the cpu, power cycle, then put it back in. I know it sounds weird but ive have to do that several times over the years after a dead cmos battery. since it beeping with no ram there may be life left in it, id keep trying.

Thanks, will give it ago

Also, try powering it on with only a single DIMM installed. Usually in the slot furthest from the CPU. That sometimes works although workstation boards are a little different than desktop or gaming boards. I haven't had to work on one of those in years.

Thanks, will give it ago

No go. Without it in it did what it's been doing - fans/disks come on, but no beep and no video. When I put it back in without heatsink and fan, the computer shut itself down about 10 seconds later, I assume thermal protection kicking in.

I'd have expected beeping wit no CPU? I also found another CPU from an old HTPC - no go with that either.

hmm. i'd try clearing cmos one more time. yank the battery and cord, flip the jumper, press the power button a few times to discharge all capacitors and let it sit for a few minutes. if that doesn't help and you have changed psu, cpu, dropped to one stick of ram, disconnected everything, tried out of the case? and none of that works to bring it back. I think it might be dead.

Back